Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,888,943 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure that life-long Atlantans report that school around here never went back after Labor Day. It always started in August (but somewhat later in August). If this is correct, I suspect calls for "returning" to a September start are coming from northerners who are thinking of what's traditional in their home states, not what's traditional in the Atlanta area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 01:03 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I'm pretty sure that life-long Atlantans report that school around here never went back after Labor Day. It always started in August (but somewhat later in August). If this is correct, I suspect calls for "returning" to a September start are coming from northerners who are thinking of what's traditional in their home states, not what's traditional in the Atlanta area.
My 70-something year old mother (native Atlantan) considers the day after Labor Day to be the correct starting date, and while I've pretty much blocked out logistical details of early childhood memories myself, I seem to remember a post-Labor Day start in the 1970s too.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:24 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,888,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
My 70-something year old mother (native Atlantan) considers the day after Labor Day to be the correct starting date, and while I've pretty much blocked out logistical details of early childhood memories myself, I seem to remember a post-Labor Day start in the 1970s too.
Thanks for the correction, IntownHomes!

Follow-up question: So when did the school year end in those days? May, early June, or late June?

Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Thanks for the correction, IntownHomes!

Follow-up question: So when did the school year end in those days? May, early June, or late June?

Well, since the late 1970's/early 1980's (at least) it has been August start dates around Atlanta (the earliest usually around August 18). I remember one time that APS had a September start date--it was weird/odd...an anomaly in the last 30+ years.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:20 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
Quote:
Maybe, but so what? I'm not asking the question because I moved here and that's what we used to do. I'm asking the question because what we used to do made sense, and starting school on Aug 5 makes very little sense to me in the context of a summer vacation. So....I'm asking those who feel that it's a great thing to explain to me the reason why Cobb and many other school systems in the south adhere to the calendar they do.

I pinged the entire school board last night and asked them the same question directly. I won't name names, but one of the responses I received said the following:

"The CCSD is in sync with several of our surrounding school districts and there are testing timeframes on why it is better for student achievement."

So apparently, if students start school in early Aug, the school board believes they will do better and achieve more. I hope so, but the logic is lost on me.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 PM

606 posts, read 2,004,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
It is a very controversial issue. I will say that it is cooler in June than in August. If summer has to be shorter, I believe from a budget standpoint, school should end in June and begin back in late August.

Fulton has actually shortened the number of days students are attending and slightly lengthened (less than 10 minutes) the school day.
June is only "slightly" cooler than August. By about a degree or 2 on average. This June was ridiculously hot and humid. And late August is actually cooler on average than late June. Really there is not a big difference in temperatures in June, July, and August. All 3 months are very hot and humid in Atlanta.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:15 PM

606 posts, read 2,004,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So you yourself admit that Labor Day is the unofficial end of summer, and yet you also ask why school systems that go back around Labor Day are going back "so late" ..... do I have it correct?

That's ridiculous, especially in Cobb County. How many kids in Cobb County don't have A/C at home and are going to school to get out of the heat? 1%?

Actually it is...almost exactly. You could "technically" call it the first half of summer. Summer starts on June 21, so Aug 5 is roughly 6 weeks from the start of summer. Sept 21 is the end of summer, so Aug 5 is roughly 6 weeks from the end of summer. Last time I checked, the middle was roughly half-way between the beginning and the end.

I'll get "technical" on you if I feel like it, and I just explained why. Sorry facts get in the way of people's opinions.

BTW...if you noticed, I mentioned going back around Labor Day is how most school systems operate. I never mentioned going back on Sept 22.
Meteorological summer ( which is what weathermen consider to be summer) lasts from June 1-August 31. June 21-September 21 is only summer in terms of astronomical terms. Meteorologists prefer to consider summer as the 3 hottest months of the year. Obviously, "technically" September 20 is summer and June 20 is spring although we all know it is usually warmer on June 20. Going by what you say, all of those horrendously hot and humid days we had in the first 20 days of June was really just spring.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:42 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,812,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Going by what you say, all of those horrendously hot and humid days we had in the first 20 days of June was really just spring.
Well...they were! As you say, "technically". I was born June 14... in the Spring. But since school is out at that time, I consider it "Summer", because I'm wild and crazy like that.

I think, though many of the posters are making cases for the weather, that's not really the issue. I think some of us just find the change impractical (childcare, for those with young children), or inconvenient, or a case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.", or all of the above, including the weather. Many of us just don't like it.

I'm speaking on behalf of myself, only, but I personally don't think I need to offer any other reason than "I like the old schedule better." If that doesn't work for you, so be it, no sweat off my back (no pun intended). The schedule has changed, whether I like it or not, so there ya go.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:36 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy14 View Post
I think, though many of the posters are making cases for the weather, that's not really the issue. I think some of us just find the change impractical (childcare, for those with young children), or inconvenient, or a case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.", or all of the above, including the weather. Many of us just don't like it.
The weather is a small factor, but I agree, it's not ABOUT the weather. I'm just asking WHY my kids go to school from early Aug to mid-May, instead of the traditional Sep to June. July and Aug are the traditional summer months, and when most of the country takes summer vacation.

I'm not saying there's not a great reason, but no one has been able to articulate it to me. All I've read so far, is that I'm soft...and if I don't like it, move. A member of the school board told me there is a bunch of evidence supporting the dates, but failed to give me any specific details to support his assertion (which would get him an F on a high school term paper).

I guess the thread has run its course, but I'd love to hear a good reason and something without emotion. The best I've heard so far relates to the CRCTs, but just like the school year, those are set arbitrarily and can be moved later if desired, so that to me isn't a valid reason. If the CRCTs are being given in May, then give them in June....problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta