Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 12,587 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving my family to the Atlanta Area in mid-October from San Diego. Myself and my wife are both in our 20's with a 1 yr old boy and two very active dogs. From a previous post I read I've added the following for clarity:

1. Looking for a 3bd house w/ yard anywhere from $900 to $1,200 month. Would be looking to rent to feel our the area for a little bit then purchase a home.
2. House over condo/apt
3. I will be working in Norcross. Would like to keep commute at about 25-40 minutes.
4. Still not at school stage but places with good daycares, activities for moms and young children, headstarts, pre-schools.
5. Kind of a mix of suburban/urban. Not too city but also not to country. If anyone is familiar with Encinitas, Ca (this is our current city and we love it hear).
6. Good access to freeways (any good back roads since I hear the traffic is a nightmare).
7. Demographics--offers a lot of activities to do outdoors--ie--parks, dog friendly, hiking/biking trails, golf courses, lakes nearby. Drivable distance to malls, restaurants, libraries, ymca, etc.
8. Low crime. What areas to avoid?

I have heard some good things about the Alpharetta, Johns Creek and Suwanee areas. Is this accurate? I saw these places are north of Norcross. Are there areas closer that also fit some of my criteria? Any info will help.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 12:02 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times
Check out the Peachtree Corners area. This is just to the west/north of Norcross, and would be a good place to get your bearings.

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:02 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,395 times
You should also look into Dunwoody and Sandy Springs.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:02 PM

7 posts, read 12,587 times
Thanks for the suggestions. Took a look at some of the houses there but I was thinking of something with bigger yards. With two dogs and a 1 yr old, it is hard living in a 2/3bd condo like we do currently.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 PM

171 posts, read 588,142 times
I'm from San Diego too and John's Creek and Alpharetta are pretty good. You're not going to find anything like Encinitas...not even close. The closest you may come is Sandy Springs which looks almost identical to UTC particularly around the perimeter mall. The city of Decatur is nice and kind of reminds me of Leukadia, but its surrounded by some pretty shady neighborhoods.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM

70 posts, read 295,771 times
I would do everything imaginable to stay in San Diego. I know it's expensive but you are in one of the most beautiful places in the country. Do whatever you can to stay and live a healthy life, it's a better upbringing for the kids. I was there during my Navy days and I'm sorry I ever left.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,548,972 times
atlanta is not a good place to raise children...the schools are horrible

Old 08-11-2010, 12:22 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
atlanta is not a good place to raise children...the schools are horrible
Yet, as it has been said so many times before, there are 'better' parts and you must decide what is appropriate for your family.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 PM

171 posts, read 588,142 times
Schools are what you make out of them. Involved parents are the key to your child's success not necessarily the teacher they have.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:09 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,221 times
My wife works in Norcross. I used to work near Midtown, so we picked a place between. We both grew up in Atlanta. We chose the Murphy Chandler Park area (Smack dab btwn Sandy Springs/Brookhaven/Dunwoody/Chambee). Great lake with paths around it to take walks. If you're used to living in the burbs, then somewhere around Norcross may be ok for you. We like where we are b/c we're still close to Atlanta, Buckhead, Perimter...with quick access to two main hwys to get anywhere else in a flash.

Elementary school is good, Montgomery.

We'll probably move to Sandy Springs in the next 5-7 years (where we're both from).

I'm not familiar with Encinitas, although I was born in SD and lived there until I was 2.5 yrs old. I grew up visiting relatives there. My parents recently moved back and live in Point Loma. Love San Diego. I have a feeling you will follow the path of my parents.

Golf where we are is not close. North of Norcross you are close to several. As you can guess from my login, I venture out regularly for 18.

Good luck with the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta