Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:31 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
And the subsequent interstate highways converging on Atlanta was huge too. But by then, the decision to build those highways to Atlanta was not arbitrary. Sort of wish that railroad intersection was closer to Stone Mountain or near the Chattahoochee. Atlanta (city) lacks some natural wonder. Having the river go through the city or Stone Mountain being sort of our Central Park would be nice.

During the Olympics, some Irish tourists commented that Atlanta lacked "a center". I agree. There doesn't seem to be a real "heart" of Atlanta. Five Points and Underground don't do it. Centennial Park is nice but it doesn't feel like an Atlanta focal point. And Buckhead is sort of pulling us further apart. The Atlanta area seems so monotonous. As I travel around, it all seems the same. Only downtown seems to have some character and unfortunately, a lot of the old buildings are gone.

I haven't been to Savannah, but isn't it the case that despite it being on the ocean, it doesn't have "beaches"? The beach, if it had one, would be a plus. And they are below the infamous "gnat line".
You might want to look a little closer at the historic structures Atlanta has to offer...they are pletiful and full of history and character - especially in Downtown. MANY of the older buildings have been saved and restored.

I'm not sure about Stone Mountain being the center piece of Atlanta either...it's great exactly where it's located. To be the center of the city would be a little wierd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You might want to look a little closer at the historic structures Atlanta has to offer...they are pletiful and full of history and character - especially in Downtown. MANY of the older buildings have been saved and restored.

I'm not sure about Stone Mountain being the center piece of Atlanta either...it's great exactly where it's located. To be the center of the city would be a little wierd.
I lived in Grenoble in France which is surrounded by mountains. You can easily walk from downtown to the foot of a mountain. Having Stone Mountain as a "backdrop" to Atlanta's skyline would be nice. Even Pittsburgh has Mount Washington overlooking the city which offers a great overlook of the city. But it's too late to move Atlanta now.

And no, I think Atlanta trashed too many of its old buildings. I like how many European towns protect their old "center city" cores. Last I've heard, Georgia Tech plans on demolishing the Crum and Foster building in midtown.
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/profile-ak-snc1/object3/1885/20/n17615851734_35.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta