Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:34 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,036 times

Advertisements

Handel just conceded, so Barnes vs Deal. I personally think that NO Democrat can win a statewide election in this state, especially a re-tread with a record like Barnes but hey thats just me. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 AM

747 posts, read 1,543,807 times
Deal is a cousin humping yahoo. If he wins the governor's race, it'll set this state back a few decades. When is Georgia going to join the rest of the civilized world?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:50 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Deal is a cousin humping yahoo. If he wins the governor's race, it'll set this state back a few decades. When is Georgia going to join the rest of the civilized world?
Exactly. Barnes will absolutely SHREAD him.

This race will be an all-out war, count my words.

The business community is SOLIDLY behind Barnes, fwiw. For Barnes supporters, the only outcome that could have been better would have been a win by Oxendine.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:54 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
Lets hear their positions on taxes, reforming state gov't, transportation, the city of atlanta and the beltline.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:57 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Palin must've told Handel to go ahead and quit.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:00 AM

859 posts, read 2,119,499 times
Concedes? A la Gore? Are all the votes in? Anyways, I'm not a fan of Deal and hope Barnes wins (although I'm not jumping for joy with Barnes) For those that are natives, I have a quick question. When and more importantly, why did the political winds in GA turn from a solid blue throughout the 20th century turn all of a sudden red in the first decade of this century? I know a little bit about the Dixiecrats but wanted some to elaborate a bit.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:12 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
The 90's---the Olympics?

Someone will have a more informed response.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:12 AM

364 posts, read 717,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
When and more importantly, why did the political winds in GA turn from a solid blue throughout the 20th century turn all of a sudden red in the first decade of this century? I know a little bit about the Dixiecrats but wanted some to elaborate a bit.

lol....because they thought that all the blacks, mexicans, and gays that were moving here would overrun the state. Sad but true IMO.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Gotta agree, although not sure that would be my choice of words. Not looking forward to a choice between a corrupt "good ole boy" Republican from rural GA who panders to special interests on the religious right, and a corrupt "good ole boy" Democrat from metro Atlanta who panders to special interests on the left.

Neither strikes me as an impressive figure. With Deal you'll get more god, more guns, and more "good ole boy"....and with Barnes you'll get more unions, more rhetoric, more handouts and promises, and more "good ole boy."

Handel wasn't perfect and in some ways was a bit underqualified...but she was at least someone who broke the mold of GA politics and she's not a social idealogue but gets the tenets of fiscal conservatism.

I hate to say it...and I don't say it lightly...but I just might pull the lever for Barnes. I just don't know if I want to hold my nose and vote for Deal. There is very little about him that I find appealing, beyond his stance on taxes. That religion thing and his disgusting ads about Handel promoting "gays" turned me off big time.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:58 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,036 times
Quote:
Do you think that anyone with an "R" next to their name is cousin humping yahoo or just Deal? Also who in your opinion could pull us out of the Stone Ages, Barnes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta