Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:00 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
You guys TOTALLY missed the point of what I was saying. I know Atlanta has a respectable film and television industry. I know a lot of productions have been shot here, LD. However, a lot of those films/shows may as well have been shot in Dallas, Nashville, Birmingham...Most don't make any emphasis on the fact that they are in Atlanta. There's not one movie in the top fifty of that list where Atlanta really stands out the way NYC, SF, or NOLA do in a movie.

Here are just a few examples I'm talking about:
NYC: Taxi Driver, The Taking of Pelham 123(original), French Connection, Sex and the City
SF: Vertigo, Bullit, Dirty Harry
N.O.: Easy Rider, a Streetcar Named Desire

Imagine if any of these movies had been set anywhere else besides those cities. Can any of you understand what I'm getting at?

Chiatldal...your list of productions is 99.9% URBAN. Those productions are for a narrow audience and Atlanta does has a bit more notoriety in the urban scene but I was referring to mainstream productions. There's a reason I do not know a damn thing about any of those productions and I LIVE in Atlanta. They are not targeted to my demographic, only to urban audiences.

You can't edit character into a city. Again you guys are missing the point. And before you start screaming that I'm saying that Atlanta has no character take a deep breath. I am stating my opinion that no one has been able to capture it on film and it has a long way to go before it has the aura of any of those above cities when it comes to adding depth and atmosphere to a story.

Why don't you guys take a second to think about something before automatically taking offense that I'm "insulting" Atlanta? I'm not. I'm stating an opinion. Deal with it without slinging words like "ignorant" and "uninformed" because that makes you look...um...ignorant and uninformed.

Those movies you name only attract a certain audience which is not my demographic.. I did like sex in the city but the rest of those are un regconizable to me. You said name some where Atlanta was noticeable and they were named. Now whats the excuse... You were uniformed because you couldnt name any of these things all it takes is a really good google search and you can find them just like Chi did...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 12:01 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
A good director or screenwriter does not have to "edit" character into a city(which I still say is not possible). You can tweak a city slightly by editing out long car rides between locations or something similar but you can't fundamentally alter the character of it.

And I do know exactly what editing is. I have done it a few times. I know a bit of what I speak about.
Have you ever heard the term "location scout"?

Old 09-17-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
A good director or screenwriter does not have to "edit" character into a city(which I still say is not possible). You can tweak a city slightly by editing out long car rides between locations or something similar but you can't fundamentally alter the character of it.

And I do know exactly what editing is. I have done it a few times. I know a bit of what I speak about.

Thats not what they are saying.. Alot of the places that have alot of Character in N.O was not shown... Those are the parts that were edited out...

Old 09-17-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Have you ever heard the term "location scout"?
No but he will google it to find out and then post like he knows what it is

Old 09-17-2010, 12:10 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Anybody who has never seen or even heard of Taxi Driver, Vertigo, or a Streetcar Named Desire can't be taken seriously when it comes to a discussion of films or the film industry. Come back when you've acquired a most basic grounding in, and understanding of, American film history.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Anybody who has never seen or even heard of Taxi Driver, Vertigo, or a Streetcar Named Desire can't be taken seriously when it comes to a discussion of films or the film industry. Come back when you've acquired a most basic grounding in, and understanding of, American film history.
Those movies arent my cup of Tea I wouldnt spend my coins to see any of them. Everyone has certain types of films they like. Those films would have been overlooked by me because there not the type of movies I like..

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 09-17-2010 at 12:41 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 12:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Not everyone is interested in the exact same films that you are. You certainly can't say that anyone not familiar with those movies doesn't have anything to add to the conversation!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Those movies arent my cup of Tea I wouldnt spend my coins to see any of them. Everyone has certain types of films they like. Those films would have been overlooked by me because there not the type of movies I like..
I'm not at all agreeing with DTL3000 (as his points are not valid), but should definitely check out Taxi Driver and a Streetcar Named Desire. Not because they are set in a certain place (LOL!) but because they were well acted and written stories. They could have taken place in any city (except arguably SCND as NOLA is a big part of the story) and still been good.

I mean seriously, who watches movies because they are set in a certain city?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'm not at all agreeing with DTL3000 (as his points are not valid), but should definitely check out Taxi Driver and a Streetcar Named Desire. Not because they are set in a certain (LOL!) but because they were well acted and written stories. They could have taken place in any city (except arguably SCND as NOLA is a big part of the story) and still been good.

I mean seriously, who watches movies because they are set in a certain city?
Because you put it in a nice way Ill check them out...

Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM

8 posts, read 23,801 times
My bad if i offended anyone with my post i was just making my opinionated post on the subject i saw as a hot button subject here at the time, it wasn't driven for attacks or to slam ATL, i was just saying the location doesn't appeal to MTV, and there aren't enough good venue's in close proximity to decent looking residences without paying out an arm and a leg to get to, yes there is editing, there also is a thing called "Film Production budget" when MTV or any network budget for these types of things especially cheap reality tv productions that rack in millions in return the last thing they want to do is drag production crews for unnecessary miles across town every time the roommates want to do something fun..
It is what it is, on top of it all, ATL is basically a regular cookie cut college transient college town, nothing anyone can say will change that, go around and take a poll and ask everybody where they are from, guarantee the majority will say from somewhere else and the majority are there for college or was relocated from their job, Atlanta had Cheap housing and it was cheap for industries and commercial companies to move there at one point, it's gotten pricey now so as soon as leases expire i can't see it looking the same as it does now..
I hope im wrong though because Atlanta like Houston and New Orleans is predominately black cities, im black and i hope the best for all black cities and would not want what is going on in Detroit to happen to either one, Detroit was a monster of a city at one point and predominately black and it fell to hell, we can say it was once what Atlanta and Houston is trying to be now with Houston being the more successful of em all.

The movies i saw someone posted that were made in Atlanta is kind of a bad example and i wouldn't have even posted em actually, a couple of the Tyler perry films were ok but just dry and cliche' successful though thanks to the black church communities support but looks like he's trying to leave that style that made him successful..
Lottery Ticket? lol fail.
Barbershop? fail.
ATL? LOL!! fail.
Stomp the Yard. fail
Drumline. Fail
The Players club. fail.
These movies all got low ratings and were disappointing box office drops
The MTV shows that were posted that mentioned ATL in them or some of their artist were shared with various other cities, that happens on every show MTV does. ATL gets in because it's music scene came around 2005 and it was consistent until 2009.

Im surprised you didn't mention CNN has a satellite headquarter in Atlanta though, where sometimes give fly by shots of the city, as well as TNT being headquartered out there that host the NBA sometmes, Cartoon Network as well which is owned by TBS which is headquartered in ATL or within that area.

I do see what you mean though, ATL isn't forgotten in the spot light in media but those movies are just "as Charles Barkley would say" Turrible.. lol..

I would have at least put:
The Blind side (which won awards)
Zombieland
The Vampire Diaries
Remember the titans

Those are good movies, not really big productions like The Green Lantern, Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Deja Vu, but decent to good movies yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta