Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 AM

207 posts, read 614,234 times

Advertisements

We may relocate to Hotlanta in the future, if the offer comes I would like to be ready to make a decision. Thats where you guys come in! We are happy to live in the burbs...hubby's office would be downtown I am pretty sure, Peachtree St.....we are not looking to live downtown. But less then a 30 min commute would be nice for him. We would enjoy a slower pace and some space. I answered the ATHRLGUY list....hope it helps you guys give us an idea if GA is a move we should consider should the offer arise. Moving North of ATL is not bad either if we shoud ever consider driving to see our Mich family the ride would be easier, any other direction is not out of the ?, just want the best spot to raise our family....thanks, can't wait to read your suggestions!

1. Budget-200-250 to start, may be able to slightly increase if necess
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) 20-30 mins, hopefully
4. Children(public school vs. private) Private, Catholic
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- Burbs are good
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? no
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. FAMILY FRIENDLY, Friendly in general, Hard working, and happy people

Please let me know if you need more info! Thank you again!

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...#ixzz0wPH7Es6R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:27 AM

859 posts, read 2,120,113 times
When doing a search for different cities/towns around the metro check out Marietta,Ga and Mableton, GA. When heading to and from downtown traffic isn't too bad traveling along I-75 inside the perimeter (I-285), usually you would run into trouble beyond the I-285 perimeter, timing traffic in this city can be tricky at times. Also there's a catholic school in Marietta, St. Joseph Catholic School, but I don't know much about it.

There other areas of the metro, even intown neighborhoods that if you don't mind older homes or some fixer uppers that would fit your budget but I mentioned to two above areas because you'll have more newer options within planned subdivisions that cater more towards families within and near your price range that will give you a decent commute (30-35 min) downtown.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
20-30 minute commute to downtown in a safe neighborhood for $200-250k is going to be tough, unless his work hours are off-peak.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:53 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
How many bedrooms do you need? You could find a 3 or possibly 4 bedroom house in North Decatur (30033) or Northlake (30345) or Tucker (30084) for around $250k, which would put you within the 30 minute commute range. The Northcrest subdivision (30340) just outside I-285 at I-85 is also an option (particularly if you like mid-century modern architecture).

Old 08-12-2010, 12:56 PM

72 posts, read 174,820 times
Agreed with BobKovacs it will be tuf moving to Atlanta to get a great neighborhood within 30 minutes with space for 200-250,000. You may be able to find a town house short sale in symra vinnings. You may want to do what most of Atlanta does and either increase your travel time or greatly increase your budget. I would rent for a year to get a better feeling for Atlanta and then buy. Good luck and welcome to the ATL

Old 08-12-2010, 01:07 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
You could look at East Cobb Unincorporated part of Cobb County with Roswell or Marietta mailing addresses) but the commute would be longer. You can find a home in that range though it might need some updating. There are some older (20 yrs or so) subdivisions that are very nice and have swim tennis available. I'd look in the 30062 zipcode....and some others maybe 30075. It would meet the rest of your criteria. There are some Catholic schools around...Queen of Angels (El) in Roswell and Blessed Trinity (Highschool) are schools some of my neighbors kids attend. St. Anns in Marietta (East Cobb) has a Catholic preschool and is a well attended popular parish.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:25 AM

This is all good stuff, both options are something to think about, increasing the budget and slightly increasing commute 30-35 mins is pushing it....he used to commute 45+ and it was hell....we swore we would never go back to it! I love that you guys give the zip codes, it makes searching real estate so much easier....now, did I read this correct, that there are nice, safe, neighbohoods near city range? Or is it always better to live further out....? We would probably rather have more space and larger home vs shorter commute....but I am just curious....thanks again! Keep the good info flowing

Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
Yes, there are places closer in but you're right -- you'll be trading house size and lot size for a shorter commute. But I would definitely look in the Northlake/Tucker area as a reasonable compromise. The houses are generally large ranch homes (many with basements) on sizeable lots. It's a very suburban area but just inside (for Northlake) or just outside (for Tucker) the perimeter so you can stay close to your commute time. You'll need to visit and tour the area for yourself to decide whether or not it appeals to you.

Of course the 30033 and 30329 zip codes that I mentioned before are closer in, but again, the amount of house and land you can get for your money gets smaller the closer you move in.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:51 AM

Is it worth the ride to live in Suwanee, Gwinnett? We have family there....when I google map it, it says 40 min commute....T or F? I also heard it is a great place for families...

Old 08-14-2010, 08:12 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
It's 40 minutes with NO traffic. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta