Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 PM

66 posts, read 126,720 times

Advertisements

I'll try to keep this brief... I may fail.

Me and my fiancee are moving in about two months. We've been planning on Albuquerque NM and that's still very much the likely option. But its a bit of a compromise for me. I've always lived in a small town and wanted to live in a big city. She's always lived in an even smaller town (actually a village) and always wanted something bigger but not necessarily a big city. We compromised on Albuquerque, big town with a small town feel. Not as big as I wanted but... it does.

Well, tonight she mentioned that she'd always wanted to live in Atlanta. Bit of a news flash but I LOVE the idea. Sounds fantastic to me, big city like I want. I can see the independent films, go see sporting events (HUGE NBA fan, I'd be at minimum at the games my Pistons are in town and likely a fair few more), culture. Was looking forward to escaping the humidity and tornadoes but I'm used to them at least and there's still no snow. I have a lot of questions and there are a few that are hard to just look up.

We won't have jobs when we get there, getting that out of the way. We're young, she just got her medical assistant certificate and even better, all the stuff I'm seeing says Georgia is one of the best states for that. Myself, I want to work in the film industry and in the mean time, I'll be working a near minimum wage job while I write and try to make it. I have back up plans but for now I want to give it a go and try to live my dream. Which I can't really in Michigan. I do have management experience and I've been at my current job five years, I don't think I'll have too much problem finding a minimum wage level job at least.We'll have somewhere between 7 and 10 thousand dollars when we go depending on a few things if we can sell before we go (otherwise, the rest of the money will be coming eventually, I have a few friends who have agreed to help me if all that I'm selling doesn't go before I leave).

We have no kids though we do want a family in a few years. But for now, schools aren't a concern. We want an apartment. We don't want to lock into one area of a city we've never lived in long term. Access to public transit would be great but not a must. We will be buying a car upon arrival but only one so buses would still help. We're fairly liberal but as long as people aren't in your face about their beliefs, we're fine. I'm comforted by the fact that my mom's gay best friend lived there for five years and LOVED it, only left due to financial issues. As for urban vs suburban lifestyle, we're fine either way though we don't want to live in the hood.

My questions:

1. Can we get a one bedroom apartment in a decent area for 600 a month? Or in that general area? I don't need to live in the best area of town but we don't want to live in a crack infested slum either. I've done it, I won't do that again.

2. Can we get around with one car between us? I know its a big city but will that along with busing work most likely? We'll both be working full time.

3. How are the community colleges there? I intend to take a few courses at least.

I may add more later. Thank you so much for answers. We're quite likely still headed to Albuquerque, we've made a lot of plans and its a bit late in the process to change them, but we're open to the city and we'd like to explore it a bit at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:30 PM

937 posts, read 928,138 times
I'm planning on looking for something like that w/ my significant other when we graduate so I'll be in your situation soon. With a rent budget of 600, you may be well off looking for a place in some of the suburbs of Atlanta. Smyrna is a very nice area and it's just a ten minute drive from Atlanta itself. Most of the places I know intown can be a bit pricey for a $600 rent budget, but there's always that possibility. As for safety, just mainly avoid the southwest side of Atlanta and you will be fine.
One car can be fine, MARTA operates a train system and bus system and goes through the 4 corners of the city if you don't mind public transportation.
GPCC is probably Atlanta's premier community college and is a decent one for the money. There a few others I can't put a name on it.
Hope it helps a bit. I'm sure the others on the site will give you more info pretty soon.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:21 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,928 times
Cabbagetown, Reynoldstown, Old 4th Ward could have some 1BR options. These are all transitional but acceptable areas. $600 a month will be tough, but if you add $50 to this budget you could start to see some workable options. For mid-$600 levels you might be able to land a 2BR in a crappy complex in Inman Park, which is a nice area.

Don't expect the ritz for any of these options. $600 ain't much. It will go farther in the suburbs, but the transport will be more difficult and you'll also drive a good bit more most likely.

For transport it sounds like you should really try to be close to a MARTA station. The bus only comes every half hour, so it's not the most convenient thing in the world to use. Costs $2 per trip, with transfers included. MARTA is an excellent system, and despite what you might hear Atlantans say it goes to many of the important places (downtown, midtown, buckhead, airport, lenox, perimeter, decatur).

Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 AM

927 posts, read 2,227,038 times
First of all, it's great to hear about people willing to take a bit of risk to go after what they really want. People generally say to land a job first, and that may be the safest bet, but it won't hurt to give it a shot and possibly end up in a better situation.

To your questions, I haven't done apartment hunting down here, but I urge you to check out craig's list to get an idea on what to expect.

The aformentioned areas are all good ones. If you're at all open to this, consider a basement apartment to lower your costs. If you're a bit more gutsy, look into sharing a home with someone as well. A few of my buddies, even after they graduated, did the basement apartment thing or rented the top floor of someone's home. I would sacrifice that bit of privacy for the convenience of being in a desirable neighborhood with intown amenities, especially if it's just a temporary thing until you both secure adequate income.

As for your other questions:

- Yes, you can get around with one car.
- Some decent community colleges, but not nearly as much in other cities (Perimeter is a good one for starters)
- Since this would concern you as a writer, Atlanta's film industry is rapidly booming. I would definitely want to be here right about now if in your shoes. There are steady streams of directors, producers, and actors who would want to collaborate. This is a great, affordable place for creatives, making it, to me, one of the best cities in the country to be for the creative arts.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:04 AM

I appreciate the responses. Any more would be great but these have given me an idea... my fiancee really likes the idea which surprises me, I never thought she'd want to live in a city this size. I'm just nervous about the humidity and price... I love the idea of a bigger city.

One more question. I've seen roaches mentioned a lot in apartment reviews of the area, even in some with seemingly good reviews. Are roaches a major problem in the city or is that down to the fact that I'm mainly looking at apartments that are 600 or less a month?

Old 08-17-2010, 12:35 PM

Oh and does anyone know if there are any good long stay hotels for a reasonable price in Atlanta? We're planning to stay at In Town Suites if we go to NM but the ones in Atlanta have horrible reviews...

Old 08-17-2010, 12:59 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing147 View Post
Oh and does anyone know if there are any good long stay hotels for a reasonable price in Atlanta? We're planning to stay at In Town Suites if we go to NM but the ones in Atlanta have horrible reviews...
I think the quality of service/accomodations will vary with the owner/manager.

The Homestead Inn at N. Druid Hills Rd/NE Atlanta is clean and safe.

Homestead Studio Suites Hotels - Atlanta, GA Hotel

In another post you asked about roaches--yes, unfortunately they seem to be problematic in Atlanta.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:28 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,837 times
Default Harbor Pointe Apartments

Check out the Harbor Pointe Apartments off Morgan Falls Road in Sandy Springs. Sandy Springs is located just north of the city limits of Atlanta and is a great place to live because of its central location. You would have close proximity to GA-400, a major highway which could take you north into Alpharetta, a MAJOR job center, south into the city, and connects with I-285 in case either of you will be working in one of the linear suburbs. The Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area is one of Atlanta's biggest job centers as well.

The northside of Sandy Springs is very diverse. Very liberal, very tolerant city for the most part due to its close proximity to Atlanta. Schools are great no matter where you live in Sandy Springs and even though its a bit suburban everything you could ever want can be found along Roswell Road, the city's main throughfare...and it connects you down to the Buckhead section of Atlanta.

There are alot of cheap apartment complexes on the northside of the city, the southern end is very upscale and expensive. Most apartments in your price range would kinda be the hood. I suggest Harbor Pointe because its a beautiful, quiet, cheap community. The bus stop on Roswell Road is a mile down Morgan Falls Road on Roswell Road. The bus conects to 2 marta stations depending on if you're traveling north or south. I looked up rates on the website, a one bedroom ranges from $539-$569 for a one bedroom which is outstanding for such a great location.

Living in the city would limit your and your fiancee's options for work. Most jobs in Atlanta are located OUTSIDE the city, same way it is now in most major American cities. And here most jobs are located points north and the downtown area is on the southern end of the metro. Sand Springs might offer the big city proximity you're both looking for with a serene feel inside your complex. Below is a link to their website for floorplans and availability.

http://http://www.rentgsc.com/site/properties/atlanta/harborpointe (broken link)

The Jasmine at Sandy Springs on Brandon Mill and Hampton Hill on Dunwoody Pointe on Roswell Road might be some other affordable options in the Sandy Springs area.

Good Luck to you both!!

Old 08-17-2010, 02:06 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times
Yes

Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times
Atlanta Apartments for Rent - Equity Apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta