Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 03:56 AM

470 posts, read 1,278,013 times

Advertisements

We live in East cobb - West roswell and are really sick of our commute. I am off shallowford/Hwy 92, etc.

We both work downtown, we have a 3 yr old daughter and one on the way. The reason we moved here is because of the good public schools and potentially good resale value.

But we found with our commute we were always too tired to spend quality time at night - so we put our house on the market and it sold in 7 seven (which is a good thing and bad thing). So now we are targeting 3 areas - VA Highlands (morningside), buckhead or Smyrna/Vinings and will rent awhile. We cant really afford the 1st 2 due to price of rentals and cost of daycare so I guess we have to go with Smyrna. But after looking this week it seems like that area has alot of "sketchy" factor. We toured the new goddard and primrose and really liked primrose but again, seems pretty sketchy over there. Can anyone comment? Is there a particular area of smyrna we should target? Any school/daycare recommendation?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 08:39 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,485 times
I never understood people who move way out in the suburbs knowing they work downtown and then complain about traffic

Old 08-21-2010, 09:00 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
What happened to Cleveland?

Old 08-21-2010, 09:20 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I never understood people who move way out in the suburbs knowing they work downtown and then complain about traffic
Agree in this case, given where the OP lives is not very well connected, except via local roads. It takes a while to get to the highway. If you work downtown and have to commute there regularly from that part of east Cobb, that trip can be a real hassle.

However, that doesn't mean that just because you live in the suburbs it's always difficult to get downtown. From where I live in west Cobb, I have easy access to get to I-75 at the 120 loop or Delk Rd, which is past most traffic, and I usually hit little to no traffic south of I-285 when I have to go downtown in rush hour (which isn't often). I can also take alternative routes like the E-W Connector or Northside Dr.

It all depends on what suburb you're in. I chose not to live in north Fulton or north Gwinnett County (Buford), since I didn't want to sit on the choke points known as GA400 and I-85 without any other choices.

It's not suburbs in general, but the specific areas.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:32 PM

We are having a baby soon and moving to a whole new city with new careers and with a new baby is a little too much. We are using this as an intermediate step before cleveland.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
We live in East cobb - West roswell and are really sick of our commute. I am off shallowford/Hwy 92, etc.

We both work downtown, we have a 3 yr old daughter and one on the way. The reason we moved here is because of the good public schools and potentially good resale value.

But we found with our commute we were always too tired to spend quality time at night - so we put our house on the market and it sold in 7 seven (which is a good thing and bad thing). So now we are targeting 3 areas - VA Highlands (morningside), buckhead or Smyrna/Vinings and will rent awhile. We cant really afford the 1st 2 due to price of rentals and cost of daycare so I guess we have to go with Smyrna. But after looking this week it seems like that area has alot of "sketchy" factor. We toured the new goddard and primrose and really liked primrose but again, seems pretty sketchy over there. Can anyone comment? Is there a particular area of smyrna we should target? Any school/daycare recommendation?

Thanks for the help!
For Smyrna, things tend to get better in terms of home and neighborhood quality as you go further south, and school feeder systems like Nickajack and King Springs seem to be held in high regard, at least for the area.

You can use this map for guidance:

CCSD Charter Schools (http://www.cobbk12.org/schools/mapofcounty.aspx - broken link)

Old 08-21-2010, 04:32 PM

what about private pre schools? Any advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta