Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM

15 posts, read 36,444 times

Advertisements

David-
While I’ll agree with you about the developments becoming an asset to the city, I can’t agree with your assessment you stated in your last paragraph. I’m not saying no to future residential/commercial developments in the city, just saying let’s be responsible about it. You point out the Deville complex as a success. And while that was a good redevelopment project, as was the Stephens Woods project, look at all the others that stalled and remain incomplete: Matthews St., Belmont Cir/Turner Dr., S.Cobb Dr, Concord/Hurt Rd. I won’t even mention the big ones.

But the purpose of the moratorium I suggested, would give the city an opportunity to re-evaluate/re-design the process for how the city handles and administers big developmental projects. The city just can’t green light every development project that’s on the docket. The city gambled in the early 90’s and it paid off. And the gamble kept paying off as the Atlanta Rd area saw an explosion in high end homes. So it’s no surprise many of them thought the same would happen when Jonquil Plaza was announced. Well it didn’t, but in the process the city kept on allowing permits for developments to pass. David, that’s my key theme here. I’m all for growth. But I’m also for responsible growth. It’s like the Kenny Rogers song, you’ve got to know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em, and know when to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
The key to the success of Jonquil Plaza, Belmont Hills, Four Corners and all other commercial developments in the City of Smyrna is to have a population with incomes to support the local businesses. On the other hand to continue to have half of the City's population be transient low income renters, how can anyone expect to see thriving shopping centers?
I have to ask, what type of business are you looking for in Smyrna and how are you going to change the demographics of the city in a way that will support the local business you speak of? Let me ask you, do you go to Vickery Hardware or Home Depot when you're working on a project? Do you go to Howard's/Varner's or go to Taco Mac to watch a game? David, I'm not calling you out, there is just more to it than the city's population base. I mean there are only so many Love Streets or boutique restaurants to go around. Yes, Smyrna has historically been a blue collar town with a transient population. And while the city has attracted higher end residential developments in the past 6 years, the city will never be able to fully shake the blue collar image. That’s why developers like Wieland attach the name Vinings to their projects. Vinings sells, Smyrna doesn’t. I hate it that it’s that way, but thats the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 11:30 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Here's an idea. Smyrna should officially change the city's name to "Smyrna at Vinings".

Old 03-02-2011, 07:46 PM

88 posts, read 183,523 times
Smyrna should be a pleasant , growing hip village, just because of location alone! Could you imagine if Milton could be here right @ the border of Atlanta! It would be horse farms AND highrises.
The problem w/ Smyrna IS its leadership, or lack thereof!
Smyrna wants to DICTATE to its citizens, rather than EMBRACE.
I was just back in Roswell this week, & yet another quaint little nite spot/resturant opened on the villagy town square, Canton Street. w/ its walkable streets, open shopes & resturants. The city embraces, encourages & INVESTS in connecting w/ its people & community!!
I also visited (& encourage all of you) to go ENJOY- the new detention pond behind the city hall building on Ponce. It's called the 4th Ward Park--(behind city hall North & Glen Iris-- well worth a visit!! There are several new apartment & loft buildings overlooking it & the greenspace connected to it, make it an unusual relaxing zenlike park. It's all part of the Beltline!!
Someone had a dream & VISION!!
Too bad someone out here didn't have VISION 20 years ago! If they did,... Cobb Parkway would be a glistening, booming tourist, business , & people (young people) attraction!! And off of that major corridor,... the pedestrian walkways, bikeways & greenways, would encourage & entice business & growth coming off the main corridor ,... into its cities Smyrna & Marietta!
There could have been an awesome greenway(path) along the Dobbins (no mans land) along Atlanta Road,connecting the 2 cities,...giving people a purpose, a sense of place... encouaging innovation, new architecture & businesses!! W/ peolpe & SUPPORT & VISION, then maybe even the Air craft Museum might have turned into a TRUE air museum. (see seattle & denver).
You guys have asked sevel times ,.. WHAT are the solutions? Well, I can assure you,.. until people around here DEMAND better leaders, (not better of the existing leaders,... but BETTER leaders)--& quit accepting things as they are- nothing WILL change!
There is NO EXCUSE for that disgraceful Jonquil to sit there in that condition!!
There is NO EXCUSE that the Market Village sits deserted!
There is NO EXCUSE that Brawner Hall is lit w/ 200 LIGHTS instead of 200 beautiful trees.
There is NO EXCUSE that people that speak up, get arrested!!
There is NO EXCUSE that Concord Rd. looks like it does, after spending 7 million dollars already.
There is NO EXCUSE that Smyrna police are out in the wee hours of the morning putting tickets on windshields of cars in these old neighborhoods, because they're parked in the WRONG direction, on a quiet little street!
A city should be there giving support to the PEOPLE to enjoy life, feel secure w/ their house values & neighborhoods & have city leaders that WANT THE VERT BEST FOR ALL,... not just a select few of their good ole buddies!!

Old 06-17-2011, 03:10 PM

188 posts, read 297,201 times
The unspoken truth is that Smyrna serves as a buffer zone between Vinings and the eyesore known as Dobbins AFB. Homes and apartments along the Vinings/Smyrna border all use the Vinings name to market themselves. There are nice parts in Smyrna, but there are also many rundown/depressed areas too. The money is all in Vinings and the Cumberland area. Just look at all of the office parks and corporate HQ's there... Home Depot, the Weather Channel, Cobb Galleria, PrintPack, etc. Vinings/Cumberland is white collar office-types. What do you have in Smyrna? Lockheed Martin, Dobbins AFB, and Glock. Smyrna is blue collar mechanic-types.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:17 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
The unspoken truth is that Smyrna serves as a buffer zone between Vinings and the eyesore known as Dobbins AFB. Homes and apartments along the Vinings/Smyrna border all use the Vinings name to market themselves. There are nice parts in Smyrna, but there are also many rundown/depressed areas too. The money is all in Vinings and the Cumberland area. Just look at all of the office parks and corporate HQ's there... Home Depot, the Weather Channel, Cobb Galleria, PrintPack, etc. Vinings/Cumberland is white collar office-types. What do you have in Smyrna? Lockheed Martin, Dobbins AFB, and Glock. Smyrna is blue collar mechanic-types.
And is there something wrong with "blue collor mechanic types?" The last time I checked, if that part of the industry didnt exist there would be no white collar types.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:46 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
Not sure why FlyingFox was compelled to respond to an old post to bash Smyrna. I am a professional that choose to live in Smyrna and most if not all of my friends and neighbors are professionals as well. Yes, Smyrna was traditionally a blue collar neighborhood and continue to have affordable housing but the diversity of the area is one of the attributes that I find appealing.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:28 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
Whats funny to me about it, is if you listen to the way these dudes talk you'd think Smyrna was Bankhead.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:29 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
I agree that there are still several areas in Smyrna that need revitalization but alot of that was underway before 2007 and the economy crash. So yes, progress has been slow for the past 4 years but that has been true for most of Atlanta/Georgia/USA. Residential construction that was stalled near me has resumed (relatively expensive housing). Commercial contruction I expect will take a bit longer.

My only complaint if you want to call it that is I would like less of those small strip centers which rarely seem to have long term successful businesses. The primary problem I have with the planned Racetrac (that may not get approval) is how many gas stations does Spring Road need and is that what we want for that main entrance into our City. I would happier if it were a replacement for an existing station.

Very little of Smyrna actually touches Dobbins is considered Marietta

Old 06-19-2011, 10:54 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
Have you looked at any of the newer subdivisions in Smyrna south of Ridge Road? Vinings isn't large enough to house all of the workers in Cumberland, so many of them live an additional mile or two away ... in Smyrna.

The facts are these:

Smyrna is a largely residential community with a number of retail areas scattered around, mainly to serve local residents.

Cumberland is a large and almost exclusively commercially-zoned area ... it's a business park.

Why is it surprising that Cumberland is where more corporate buildings exist, and where corporate money is being spent? It simply makes more sense given its location at the intersection of 285 and 75.

And why is it surprising that an air force base is going to have an adverse economic impact on its surroundings?

These generalizations are largely meaningless. Smyrna has some bad areas, and some very nice areas. Don't live in the bad areas and you'll be fine...

Old 06-23-2011, 11:10 AM

188 posts, read 297,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostriches View Post
Yeah, classy like Smyrna mayor & council??
Don't you think if you were mayor of 2nd largest city in metro area, for 26 YEARS(b-4 that daddy was mayor), that your 4 major corridors would be attractive welcoming corridors?
Just WHERE do all dat $$$ go? Obviously in POCKETS!!
If what you say about Smyrna's mayor is true (26 years in office??? And his father before him???) then I would agree this seems rather suspicious. When you get to that point, honest or not, you'll give people the impression that you're running the town like it's a family business.

But hey, Smyrna has nobody to blame but the Smyrnans that keep electing him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta