Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:17 AM

46 posts, read 200,475 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the responses. To Ostriches, I've heard more good than negative about Smyrna and the reason I'm choosing this area is because I'll be working in Smyrna. Everyone always says live close to where you work. The areas you listed will have me sitting in traffic longer than I would like. Can all of Smyrna really be that terrible? Since you aren't a fan of Smyrna where do u suggest someone that works in Smyrna live?

I may not go with those townhomes after realizing they are along the railroad track. I have never lived near train tracks and don't think I will start as I was told it can be very loud when trains pass in the night. I was considering some condos close by, The Heights at Spring Road or Vinings Forest(not so sure about this one since some buildings are next to the tracks). Anyone have any info about either of these communities? I know their about 10 yrs old gated communities and most units have garages. I'll be visiting the area very soon and would like info on the best communities to live in the Smyrna Vinings area. From other postings on here its best to stay east of south cobb dr and south of windy hill. I will rent in the area before buying. Another community I saw were townhomes on Springleaf Circle, the subdivision is called Peppertree. Its NE of the Atlanta Rd Concord Rd intersection. My budget will be a little tight until after 3 months of working so I my max budget is 1200 including utilities. Is that feasible for Smyrna Vinings? Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to moving soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 02:17 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
^Re: Smyrna Condos - Of the two you mentioned, Heights at Spring Road would be superior in terms of train noise. When I was looking for condos, I looked at both of those complexes, and the noise from the train tracks in Vinings Forest is quite excessive, especially for condos in buildings adjacent to the tracks.

That said, if you want to buy and want something a bit cheaper, you might consider Vinings Run or Country Place, which are older communities and have reasonable condo prices (starting in the low $100s for 2 bed/2 bath). Both of them are in decent areas and are wooded. Country Place is further down Sprind Rd and closer to Cobb Parkway, if that makes a difference for you.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:02 PM

88 posts, read 183,546 times
If you are renting, look along Cumberland Blvd. between Vinings & Atlanta Rd. I wouldn't go any closer to Smyrna than there, or you will regret it.There is no money in Smyrna so the economy is definately hitting here worse than other areas of Atlanta. The city of Roswell is doing quite well, as well as Decatur & inner city neighborhoods like Inman Park & Virginia Highlands! (but those are all @ leat 30-40 minute drive to smyrna) Vinings might have some rental condos available & @ least several better resturants. Smyrna very low on any good resturants. Depending on your age & need for better shopping, resturants , nightlife & easier access to Atlanta,.. try Sandy Springs. It's a short hop over to Smyrna from there & ALOT more on the ball!

Old 09-05-2010, 08:52 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostriches View Post
If you are renting, look along Cumberland Blvd. between Vinings & Atlanta Rd. I wouldn't go any closer to Smyrna than there, or you will regret it.There is no money in Smyrna so the economy is definately hitting here worse than other areas of Atlanta. The city of Roswell is doing quite well, as well as Decatur & inner city neighborhoods like Inman Park & Virginia Highlands! (but those are all @ leat 30-40 minute drive to smyrna) Vinings might have some rental condos available & @ least several better resturants. Smyrna very low on any good resturants. Depending on your age & need for better shopping, resturants , nightlife & easier access to Atlanta,.. try Sandy Springs. It's a short hop over to Smyrna from there & ALOT more on the ball!
There are some good restaurants in Smyrna, but it doesn't matter even if there weren't since the restaurants in the adjacent Vinings and Cumberland areas are a few miles away at most (and for some Smyrna residents are literally next door). Regional business districts are like that, and Smyrna doesn't exist in a vacuum ... it's a part of a large and varied metro area.

As for the ones actually in the City of Smyrna that we like: Bella's Pizzeria on Paces Ferry and Atlanta Road, the Chinese/Japanese buffet near Big Lots formerly known as Evergreen (I don't remember its new name), Mexico Lindo, Fortunato Pizzeria on the E/W Connector by Vinings Estates, Scalini's and Golden Buddha #7 over by Cumberland Parkway, and Atkins Park Tavern in the Smyrna Market Village.

A bunch of the others we like closeby are in Vinings or Cumberland (Marlow Tavern, Orient Express, Garrison's, Cheescake Factory, PF Chang's, Maggiano's Little Italy, Carrabba's, Blue Moon Pizza, Kayson's, etc.).

It's easy to identify the resources you'd like access to and then figure out where you want to live based on the distance to those resources. For us, the northern Mableton (and southern Smyrna) area is nice in that it's largely residential, but it exists in between commercial areas located to the east, west, and north.

I don't want shopping in my backyard, but I want it convenient.

That said ... Ostriches recommendation along Cumberland Parkway is a good one ... that area is generally known as Vinings, though it may or may not be in the actual Vinings HOA, and it's quite close to a lot of good shopping in Cumberland and along Cumberland Blvd (also known as US 41).

Old 09-06-2010, 05:47 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That said ... Ostriches recommendation along Cumberland Parkway is a good one ... that area is generally known as Vinings, though it may or may not be in the actual Vinings HOA, and it's quite close to a lot of good shopping in Cumberland and along Cumberland Blvd (also known as US 41).
I think you mean Cobb Parkway = US 41.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 AM

Look, Brown Eyed, there are people that just can't face the truth about Smyrna. I can't understand why they choose to support failing city policies! Me?,... I'd prefer to point out the bad things that are driving this city down,... in hopes that ONEDAY, these ISSUES might get addressed!
The REALITY is, there is only ONE resturant in Smyrna (Atkins Park)-w/ a well known chef . THAT is what drives a resturants ratings. There are NO hip vibe good eats in Smyrna,.. like areas such as Inman Park, West Atlanta, Buckhead, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Virginia Highlands- that have resturants like,. Bacado, Blue Grotto, the West Egg, Farm burger, Twist, Shout, Two Urban Licks, Watershed, Rathburns, Fritti, Wisteria, Sotto Sotto, Pura Vida, Babettes Cafe, Bacchanalia, the Vortex, Figo, Leons in Decatur, Sugo & Dancing Goats. Those are just to name a FEW! You wouldn't bring out of town guests to SMYRNA to eat! It's just another example of people out here that rah-rah Smyrna,... because they can't face the facts that Smyrna IS a FAILURE!!
.... but according to previous posts,... you can eat @ the chinese buffet!!!(OMG!!) Hope this shows you just where people who are posting come from! They really don't have the knowlege to be guiding people on future places they will invest in a home! I'm just trying to give you fair warning!

Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
So... you're gonna base where you live on where a restaurant is located...who cares where the restaurants are when Cobb Pkwy is only 5 minutes away?

Old 09-06-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I think you mean Cobb Parkway = US 41.
I'm sorry, yes, my fingers typed that by themselves and I didn't catch it.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostriches View Post
.... but according to previous posts,... you can eat @ the chinese buffet!!!(OMG!!) Hope this shows you just where people who are posting come from! They really don't have the knowlege to be guiding people on future places they will invest in a home! I'm just trying to give you fair warning!
FWIW, I like that Chinese buffet a lot better than I like closer higher end places like Sal Grosso, or Canoe. Or PF Chang's in many respects. So what?

Sometimes I like good cheap food.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:52 PM

EXACTLY! Thank-you!! You just made my point!
This forumn isn't about what YOU like(cheap food) of what I like (bike trails)- it's supposed to be to enlighten & inform people about what is really happening in various areas, so they can make an INFORMED decision on where to INVEST their money & buy a home! My house that would EASILY fetch $300,000 in Ashford Park or $279,000 in Decatur, won't even sell for more than $150,000 here in Smyrna Heights! I LOST value, because of the LACK of any type of LEADERSHIP, that KNOWS how to make the right connections & move things in a forward direction! I lose,... & so do the other 400 homeowners here in Smyrna Heights! A NEW chain link fence went up here Friday around YET ANOTHER foreclosed, failed project on Concord Road!! You better believe that in areas where there are higher quality resturants, shops, businesses & quality of life ammenities,... your house value will be more stable & continue to grow!! So you continue to wear rose coloured glasses & lead people to believe buying in Smyrna would not be a huge mistake,...I think that that is being deceptive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta