Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,635 times

Advertisements

Ostrich, why are you on this forum anyway? Are you part of the City Council for Decatur or something? The Smyrna council obviously are doing what they can to support what the PEOPLE want, which is affordable housing and a family friendly atmosphere. Sorry if we don't have enough trendy restaurants or culture to suit you. What you are terming as an "investment" is the lifestyle that young, childless, city dwellers pay for--so you need to come to the realization that Smyrna is just culturally and economically different from what you know. Maybe, just maybe, people choose to live here because they want to LIVE, and they do not view their homes as merely an investment, to be shuffled off in three to five years to the next highest bidder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:18 PM

13 posts, read 21,347 times
I love Smyrna. I live in Smyrna Heights. I bought my house here two years ago and if I sold now I would likely lose money - boo hoo that is life.

Ostrich you are right about a few things, but your anger is unprofessional and really over the top. You act as if these other cities have no problems and are perfect oasis of master planned developments with famous chefs. No city is perfect and as long as people are involved there will be imperfections. If you are really fired up about the city council doing a poor job you should run for city council.

I choose Smyrna, because I work in the Cumberland area on Riverwood Pkwy. I lived in Vinings and Mableton before I bought my house, so I knew what I was getting into. I expect you knew what you were getting into, but thought that the good time would just keep on keeping on. Well they didn't.

You also need to consider that taxes in Smyrna are cheap for the services provided. I have never had any major issues. Turn on the local news and you will see that is not the case in many places in Fulton and DeKalb counties. The fact that Smyrna was able to cut spending, so that taxes would not have to be raised is a sign of strength in this day and time.

The project on Concord Rd that recently put a fence up, was unable to getting funding because the original construction loan was held by a bank that was seized by the FDIC. That project was sunk thanks to the Federal bureaucracy not knowing their head from their ass. I think the building next two it (same developer) that is basically empty is due to the restaurant space unable to get a liquor license. (These are things that I have heard on the street, but I don't have anything to back them up.)

My understanding is the road construction project and linear park project is held up by GDOT. As is Atlanta Road and others around the state for that matter. GDOT hasn't approved the plans that were submitted two years ago (that is what I heard).

With all that being said I say: Ask NOT what YOUR City can do for you, but what CAN you do for YOUR City.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:25 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Wow, of all the things in this world to get bent out of shape about. I would never have guessed Smyrna would be at the top of anyone's list.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 AM

15 posts, read 36,443 times
Ostriches-
It’s been asked of you many times on this board and I’ll ask it again. Why do you loathe Smyrna so much? If you want to live in Dunwoody, Woodstock, Sandy Springs, Decatur, Milton or any city other than Smyrna, then do it. Homes are plentiful, mortgage rates are awesome, and prices are (and will continue to be) depressed. So I cannot see why you continually make posts blasting Smyrna and its leaders. True, some of them need aren’t the visionaries they once were & need to go, but when the plans for redevelopment of areas of the city were designed, they couldn’t see the economic train wreck that was approaching. But if you feel the city isn’t being run correctly, then get involved. Go to council meetings, contact your councilman, heck 2011 are city elections so why not run for council yourself? Instead of running off at the mouth and making a fool of yourself, why don’t you do that? But I digress. You’ll get back on here and post that I’m stuck in the ‘50’s and that I’m drinking the Kool-Aid. Well I wasn’t around in the ‘50’s and Kool-Aid makes me sick.

But as you keep pointing out Smyrna’s deficiencies, allow me to point out some for the cities you want Smyrna to be like. How would you describe the Roswell Road/Hammond Drive corridor? Yeah they may have a Trader Joe’s but look at the traffic congestion. And don’t forget about all the apartment complexes you have there. Crime never happens in Sandy Springs. And what’s with SS’s gov’t asking that area to be labeled a slum? Doesn’t sound to progressive to me. Oh and what about the Cotilion Road area in Dunwoody? Have you driven along that road? Or how about the areas around the intersections of Cotilion & Chamblee Dunwoody or Cotilion and N. P’tree or Cotilion and N. Shallowford? Oh and the Dunwoody Shopping Village? Champ hate to break it to you, but it’s pretty empty. Although, there is a pretty good cheap Chinese restaurant located there I enjoy from time to time. Driven on Hwy 92 in Woodstock lately? Yeah the Woodstock gov’t did great by building all of that up without planning accordingly for traffic. 6 lanes but still heavily congested. Yeah you’re right.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 AM

88 posts, read 183,492 times
Go ahead, allow Smyrna's corrupt officials to get their paws on 42 million MORE of OUR tax dollars (SPLOST)-under the guise of "Windy Hill Blvd.", & watch Windy Hill Rd. turn into the same devastation (vacant tree-less clay lots, chain-link fences & foreclosed buildings)-as the 9.2 million did for Concord Road. Can't you guys figure out the dishonesty thats guiding the destruction of Smyrna? You know, now that they've squandered the 9.2 million (2005 SPLOST)-that was supposed to complete Concord Road improvements (multi-use trail, medians & streetscapes), they have the gall to ask for ANOTHER 11 MILLION (in the 2011 SPLOST)-for the SAME project- Concord Road IMPROVEMENTS!
Some of you, including my (oh so trusting neighbor) need to just realize, Smyrna DOES NOT care about it's citizens, Smyrna Heights or the CONDITION of our city!!! It's croynism @ its finest!!
And all of you supporting the way the city is run, are not helping to ever clean out the corruption that has run Smyrna's economy, neighborhoods & roadways into the poor condition we are in now-& turn Smyrna into a vibrant, good city that it SHOULD be!!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:03 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,839 times
Yawn........

Old 11-06-2010, 07:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
I don't understand these gawddamn yuppies that move in here and betch about everything. The betch about the trains making too much noise, they betch about the Mexicans, the betch because I guess places like Varner's, Howards, Kens Corner Grill and Shane's BBQ are too "downscale" for them. So they say we have "no restaurants". Then they betch about Glock being here. Honestly, move to Vinings. It will better fit your taste.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostriches View Post
Go ahead, allow Smyrna's corrupt officials to get their paws on 42 million MORE of OUR tax dollars (SPLOST)-under the guise of "Windy Hill Blvd.", & watch Windy Hill Rd. turn into the same devastation (vacant tree-less clay lots, chain-link fences & foreclosed buildings)-as the 9.2 million did for Concord Road. Can't you guys figure out the dishonesty thats guiding the destruction of Smyrna? You know, now that they've squandered the 9.2 million (2005 SPLOST)-that was supposed to complete Concord Road improvements (multi-use trail, medians & streetscapes), they have the gall to ask for ANOTHER 11 MILLION (in the 2011 SPLOST)-for the SAME project- Concord Road IMPROVEMENTS!
Some of you, including my (oh so trusting neighbor) need to just realize, Smyrna DOES NOT care about it's citizens, Smyrna Heights or the CONDITION of our city!!! It's croynism @ its finest!!
And all of you supporting the way the city is run, are not helping to ever clean out the corruption that has run Smyrna's economy, neighborhoods & roadways into the poor condition we are in now-& turn Smyrna into a vibrant, good city that it SHOULD be!!
There is NOTHING wrong with Smyrna that is not wrong EVERYWHERE else. You cannot blame the national economy on our local leaders. Nobody likes seeing half finished building skeletons but they are everywhere. Go down Powder Springs Rd and you will see almost finished strip malls abandoned for dead. Go to Austell on Thronton Rd and I-20 and you will see half built hotels left for dead. You will residential lots all over left for dead. That is what economic depressions do.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:11 AM

88 posts, read 183,492 times
Really Kev?
Then you tell me where the 9.2 MILLION dollars went that was SUPPOSED to give us the Concord Road Improvements,..(2005 SPLOST-intersection improvements, multi-use sidewalks, landscaped medians)--went- where did it go????
now the city wants 11 MILLION more of YOUR money & MY money for the exact same thing!!
knock, knock, knock,....
wouldn't you rather have a city making GOOD decisions for the citizens, so we COULD have sold our Smyrna Heights homes for the $300,000 neighborhood,.. made a little profit,.. then moved UP a little??? Wouldn't you rather?
It doesn't show much spirit or vision to compare Smyrna to other areas that are run-down , gangsta' & ghetto.
Wouldn't you RATHER see our city as something to be PROUD of, a place that ENCOURAGES businesses, resturants & shoppes to come to? Are you REALLY proud that Smyrna looks like a deserted cesspool?
Well I'M NOT! Because I know, w/ Smyrna's location,... what Smyrna SHULD HAVE & COULD HAVE BEEN.
But I'm afraid, my friend,... the line has been drawn. Any business coming to the Atlanta metro will be INSIDE the city (along the beltline), along the 400/perimeter center, Decatur & up the 85 corridor into Gwinnett.Even McDonough, Newnan & areas south are growing business!!
But you can just keep being proud of this poorly run city, watching as it becomes more & more abandoned, vacant & uninhabitable!
Power corrupts! This city should be ashamed.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:58 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostriches View Post
Really Kev?
Then you tell me where the 9.2 MILLION dollars went that was SUPPOSED to give us the Concord Road Improvements,..(2005 SPLOST-intersection improvements, multi-use sidewalks, landscaped medians)--went- where did it go????
now the city wants 11 MILLION more of YOUR money & MY money for the exact same thing!!
knock, knock, knock,....
wouldn't you rather have a city making GOOD decisions for the citizens, so we COULD have sold our Smyrna Heights homes for the $300,000 neighborhood,.. made a little profit,.. then moved UP a little??? Wouldn't you rather?
It doesn't show much spirit or vision to compare Smyrna to other areas that are run-down , gangsta' & ghetto.
Wouldn't you RATHER see our city as something to be PROUD of, a place that ENCOURAGES businesses, resturants & shoppes to come to? Are you REALLY proud that Smyrna looks like a deserted cesspool?
Well I'M NOT! Because I know, w/ Smyrna's location,... what Smyrna SHULD HAVE & COULD HAVE BEEN.
But I'm afraid, my friend,... the line has been drawn. Any business coming to the Atlanta metro will be INSIDE the city (along the beltline), along the 400/perimeter center, Decatur & up the 85 corridor into Gwinnett.Even McDonough, Newnan & areas south are growing business!!
But you can just keep being proud of this poorly run city, watching as it becomes more & more abandoned, vacant & uninhabitable!
Power corrupts! This city should be ashamed.
Why don't you buy www.smrynasucks.com so you can blog there and leave us alone.

It is a GREAT area with far more positives then negatives. You make it sound like its living in Kabul or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta