Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 12:01 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times

Advertisements

For those not familiar with it, the "Castle" is the neat old house next to the Woodruff Arts Center on 15th Street in Midtown. After being vacant for decades, it was on the market for a while, and was recently auctioned for under a million bucks. What do you guys think would be the highest and best use? A bed and breakfast? A restaurant? A personal mansion for an eccentric millionaire?

Midtown's Castle sold at auction *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 12:32 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
I personally would love to see it as a restaurant/special events space. Having said that, I would think that parking and handicap access would be the biggest challenge for the actual locale.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:33 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
Built: 1890
Size: 6,750 SF
Lot size: 0.27 AC
Zoning: C3
2009 assessed value: $1,071,000
Last sold: 11/30/2001 for $1,000,000 by AT&T
Includes a vinyl "pool" and an $800,000 1st mortgage by Decatur 1st Bank
Current owner is The Castle LLC at 990 Hammond Dr Suite #910 (turns out that's the agent's office) and the actual owner is at 977 Ponce de Leon Avenue, which is an address where Jeff Notrica, the current president of Inman Park Properties happens to work.

I am too lazy to go to the clerk of court for Fulton County to see who won the auction and what price they set their bid at. Any takers?

This house is cool and historic (and should not be torn down), but it is stuck in an awkward spot sandwiched between two large office towers that are set up in a more suburban configuration. I offer my thoughts below. I also happen to not favor this house's style of architecture.

Private social order/club like the Order of Moose or Elk's Lodge or something of that sort. I haven't seen the layout or size of the actual space, but perhaps it would work well as event space that can be rented out or maybe a small museum. Atlanta has too many restaurants (we keep adding more and I always feel like I will never be able to hit even 10% of them! ), also seems like it's a little stuffy for a restaurant and people nowadays have more of an appreciation for open spaces. I also think it may be too small for a B&B in that location. B&B's like the option at least to add a wing of rooms and Midtown is a large, corporate market not ideal for B&B's. It's also a little isolated where it is.

Not all museums need a lot of space and Atlanta is severely lacking in museum/gallery space for a city its size. Also, many private social order clubs are losing favor these days, but event space is always in demand. Atlanta has a lot of event space, but not so many are in settings such as this. I can't think of too many events I would want to have there, though.

Bottom line: It's an unfortunate situation. I don't see much equity buildup for the building (can't be torn down, use can't dramatically be changed, can't be added on to, no connection to the surrounding area, isolation, etc). I don't see too much cash flow even from whatever the highest and best use is either. Because of its location it is not cheap, so a large mortgage (s) is necessary to acquire and maximize whatever cash flow it does provide, and it is less than 7,000 SF with only one possible tenant or use.

If I were an investor I personally would not touch this property from a mile away.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:43 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
I would LOVE for SCAD to do something with it if only because they did such a great job on the Peters Mansion on Ponce. Plus, being next to the Arts Center would create some great synergy. Sadly, I heard they turned it down because the layout of the house wasn't conducive to their needs. Which really doesn't make sense to me, considering the various buildings they've restored and occupy, but whatever...

Old 08-29-2010, 01:28 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Thats a nice looking house, I always notice it when im over there.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:09 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I am too lazy to go to the clerk of court for Fulton County to see who won the auction and what price they set their bid at. Any takers?
The article states that the buyer was a New York-based investor, and the final price was $951,500.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:49 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
I think a smaller-scale, niche museum may work well there. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Rubin museum, the Morgan Library, or the International Center for Photography. I have no suggestions as to the focus though. I just think it would work. Maybe featuring southern art or some sort of international theme...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: