Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
If given the choice of living in fantasyland or reality, I'll choose reality every time.

Ditto!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:12 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
Do you disagree that one demographic is committing the vast majority of violent crime here in Atlanta? Do you disagree that the vast majority of schools that are compromised mostly of this same demographic are failing completely?
You are attaching the wrong reasoning. If the vast majority of the people living in that city happen to be of a single race, who do you think would be more likely to be arrested for crimes?

This applies to any city with similar balances whether it be majority black, majority white, majority asian or what have you. But I guess you will only see what you want to see, huh?

And I do disagree with you about APS, cheating scandal withstanding, it has made remarkable improvements in the last 20 years.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:13 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
My take is that we are VERY fortunate to live in a city that has open and frank discussions such as this, including what the perception of Atlantic Station is (to keep things on topic).
That's one of the wisest observations I've seen in this forum. We are indeed fortunate to have these discussions, and it would be frivolous to imagine they would be easy.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:20 PM

281 posts, read 617,418 times
The vast majority of Atlantans are not black. You might think that if you watch the crime reports on the evening news though. The percentage is around fifty-fifty.
If you honestly believe APS is doing a good job you are beyond hope. Except for a few schools in wealthy areas, the schools are failing miserably.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of Atlantans are not black. The percentage is around fifty-fifty.
If you honestly believe APS is doing a good job you are beyond hope. Except for a few schools in wealthy areas, the schools are failing miserably.
And if you believe that criminal behavior and under achievement is imbued by the color of one's skin you are beyond reproach.

Here's a tip before you make it to my ignore list (and this post likely gets deleted), step out of your world view and look at life from that of another. Hopefully, someone you have disdain for. Basically, have a "Come to Jesus" moment before you go to see Jesus or Buddha or Allah or Ganesha or whatever it is you believe. I guarantee you will have a happier life.

Good day sir or ma'am.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:27 PM

281 posts, read 617,418 times
Quote:
And if you believe that criminal behavior and under achievement is imbued by the color of one's skin you are beyond reproach.

Here's a tip before you make it to my ignore list (and this post likely gets deleted), step out of your world view and look at life from that of another. Hopefully, someone you have disdain for. Basically, have a "Come to Jesus" moment before you go to see Jesus or Buddha or Allah or Ganesha or whatever it is you believe. I guarantee you will have a happier life.

Good day sir or ma'am.
I don't believe in fairy tales. And check your definition of "beyond reproach" because I don't think you were trying to complement me.

Last edited by elvez; 10-29-2010 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I hear all sorts of people (black and white) using "ghetto." It may be code in the minds of some but it still seems extremely vague.
That is true and it worth saying that ignorance of that type is not limited to certain people and certain complexions. Hate has many forms.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
And I do disagree with you about APS, cheating scandal withstanding, it has made remarkable improvements in the last 20 years.
I'd like to see the evidence of that -- from my perspective it doesn't seem to be the case.

For example, the system has continued to shrink. In 2000, enrollment was down to 58,000 (compared to 110,000 in 1965). By 2009, enrollment dropped to 49,000, despite the fact that the city added 135,000 new residents during that same period.

The system has become increasingly re-segregated, particularly at the high school level. In grades 9 through 12 only 5% (a total of 625 students) are white. Almost all of them are clustered at Grady and North Atlanta, and every other high school in Atlanta is virtually 100% non-white. This year's system-wide senior class has 112 white kids.

The graduation rate is unimpressive and most likely substantially inflated.

Atlanta grad rate doesn't add up *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/atlanta-grad-rate-doesnt-592340.html - broken link)

Costs have gone out of control. In 1965 annual expenditures per student (adjusted per CPI) were $2,891. Today they are $13,583.

We have the GBI investigating widespread cheating.

Even accreditation is being raised as an issue.

Yes, there are some wonderful and encouraging bright spots. And many individual successes. But to say the system has made remarkable improvements, well, like I say, I'd have to see the evidence.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
We're crossing a few bickering lines folks - tone it down with each other and no taking jabs, please!

Old 10-29-2010, 09:00 PM

73 posts, read 109,630 times
Quote:
I don't believe in fairy tales. And check your definition of "beyond reproach" because I don't think you were trying to complement me.
Is it safe for me to say don't go to Atlantic station because it's chesterville.. The area is unsafe for kids.. There are alot of white men that lurk around Atlantic station.. You know that demographic is known for molesting children. Or better yet don't send them to white majority schools or they end up being meth heads or run risk of being a victim of a school shooting spree..

Now doesn't this sound real ignorant.. Sad part is you will never hear blacks saying don't go to northpoint mall because it's turned into Hicksville.. They will hang u if your not one of them. They way people talk about blacks on this forum is ridiculous.. Me being black I have no room to discuss race because every race as there issue.. Who am I to look down on one demographic of people.. Now I see why people in other countries laugh at Americans..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta