Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:22 PM

396 posts, read 601,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
I don't believe in fairy tales. And check your definition of "beyond reproach" because I don't think you were trying to complement me.
regardless of whatever common definition is behind the idiom, what you are more than just hinting at is detestable. fairy tales forget that I'm in my mid-20s, yet my parents spent their childhood growing up in a world still segregated - a single generation ago. people can try to ignore or forget history all they want, but it's the very reason this discussion is happening in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas
Here's a tip before you make it to my ignore list (and this post likely gets deleted), step out of your world view and look at life from that of another. Hopefully, someone you have disdain for. Basically, have a "Come to Jesus" moment before you go to see Jesus or Buddha or Allah or Ganesha or whatever it is you believe. I guarantee you will have a happier life.
don't hold your breath... his point of view is the only correct one, and how dare you reproach him

Old 10-30-2010, 05:59 AM

479 posts, read 702,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
And if you believe that criminal behavior and under achievement is imbued by the color of one's skin you are beyond reproach.
[SIZE=3]idiom: beyond reproach[/SIZE]
not to be criticized These were men of outstanding character who were beyond reproach.
--------------------------------------
You probably meant "beyond redemption". At least Im guessing you did

You might want to look up the definition of "imbued" too. Doesnt really fit here.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:40 AM

281 posts, read 617,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
regardless of whatever common definition is behind the idiom, what you are more than just hinting at is detestable. fairy tales forget that I'm in my mid-20s, yet my parents spent their childhood growing up in a world still segregated - a single generation ago. people can try to ignore or forget history all they want, but it's the very reason this discussion is happening in the first place.

don't hold your breath... his point of view is the only correct one, and how dare you reproach him
Actually, most of the african-american men I have met who grew up during segregation are educated and well-spoken. Most are married and good fathers as well. Something has happened with black culture since then though. Half the black men I meet are almost cartoonish rapper wanna-be's who are hustling women and abandoning their kids. I have to laugh when I see them with their pants down at their knees and all tatted up.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:42 AM

174 posts, read 411,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoBillionaire View Post
Is it safe for me to say don't go to Atlantic station because it's chesterville.. The area is unsafe for kids.. There are alot of white men that lurk around Atlantic station.. You know that demographic is known for molesting children. Or better yet don't send them to white majority schools or they end up being meth heads or run risk of being a victim of a school shooting spree..

Now doesn't this sound real ignorant.. Sad part is you will never hear blacks saying don't go to northpoint mall because it's turned into Hicksville.. They will hang u if your not one of them. They way people talk about blacks on this forum is ridiculous.. Me being black I have no room to discuss race because every race as there issue.. Who am I to look down on one demographic of people.. Now I see why people in other countries laugh at Americans..

This is so true!

Old 10-30-2010, 12:34 PM

73 posts, read 109,566 times
Quote:
Actually, most of the african-american men I have met who grew up during segregation are educated and well-spoken. Most are married and good fathers as well. Something has happened with black culture since then though. Half the black men I meet are almost cartoonish rapper wanna-be's who are hustling women and abandoning their kids. I have to laugh when I see them with their pants down at their knees and all tatted up.

Sounds like you need to change up your enviroment and the people u choose to mingle with.. Maybe because I choose to only hang around people of substance and that have good character and are doing something with there lives maybe thats why I dont run into that demographic of blacks...There is a [SIZE=3]incredible diversity within the city’s large black population; hipsters, yuppies, thugs, rappers, janitors, lesbians, lawyers, African and Caribbean immigrants, politicians, and blue collar workers. Basically, there was a black counterpart for every cultural and interest group out there. Typically, blacks are stereotyped as belonging to a particular segment of society, but as mentioned above, Atlanta’s population defies such shameful stereotyping. [/SIZE]

Last edited by DinoBillionaire; 10-30-2010 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 08:28 AM

859 posts, read 2,119,499 times
Since the other thread is closed, thought I would post here. Not trying to start anything, just to post that Geisha House is to close this Sunday. New ownership is really aggressive in changing things. Can I now have an indie bookstore Mark Toro, please!?!?

Geisha House to close at Atlantic Station | what now, atlanta?

Also to add, just read an article in INtown Atlanta, which reveals Toro will in fact keep Target, Publix, Regal and Dillard's. But Ten Pin, Fox Sports and Dolce he remains mum.

"Also being studied is an expanded shuttle route, which would connect West Midtown to Piedmont Park through Atlantic Station. “We’d like to see the shuttle pick up guests at all the major residential and commercial nodes in Intown,” Toro said."

http://www.atlantaintownpaper.com/20...ion-evolution/

Last edited by ATLHRLGUY; 03-04-2011 at 08:42 AM..

Old 03-04-2011, 02:16 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,503 times
Quote:
Exactly. This is what many of us are talking about, but some people will never admit what you just said. Instead, they just label everyone as a "racist".

Also, I'm glad Geisha House is gone and I hope Dolce follows. I kind of wish they would keep Ten Pin Alley or at least keep it as a bowling alley but have someone else operate it. I've never been but it seems like fun - I don't know what kind of crowd it attracts though?

It's good to hear they are moving ahead with changes and I like the idea of expanding the shuttle to more places in Midtown (like by my apartment it sounds like!)

Old 03-04-2011, 02:53 PM

444 posts, read 703,357 times
You guys sure do know how to beat a dead horse...

Old 03-04-2011, 03:03 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
You guys sure do know how to beat a dead horse...
They could build a slaughter house behind Atlantic Station

Old 03-04-2011, 05:27 PM

444 posts, read 703,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
They could build a slaughter house behind Atlantic Station
No, the NIMBYs would shoot that idea down...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta