Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
So what does San Francisco say? That photo of it looked downright third world ...
What third world country have you visited? I agree that photo is a poor example of a "nice looking" street, but third world? Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
San Francisco beats to a different drummer. It has its own aesthetic, valuing clean air over clean views along its streets. Everything about SF is decadent, from the topography, to the views, etc. Manmade incidental obstructions like powerlines juxtaposed to the scenery only heighten the surrounding beauty....

Old 09-14-2010, 11:32 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I don't really care about powerlines, I just want mast-arm traffic signals at intersections Like these which were part of the Hillsborough St. makeover in Raleigh....
I couldn't agree with you more about the mast-arm signals, although I'd prefer to get rid of the wires, too. No doubt most Atlantans would like to see that happen, too.

The question is how do you do it in times where there's no money? It's fairly common in suburban regions and wherever there's redevelopment within the city limits. And there have been a number of targeted projects where this has been done in Midtown, Buckhead and downtown. But it's a slow process.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:06 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,962 times
Its been an interesting discussion. One thing that really bothers me it that there seems to have been virtually no civic improvements done by the city itself since the Olympics. Most, if not all, of the improvements that have been done recently were initiated and funded by the neighborhood groups such as the Midtown Alliance and ADID. Its one thing I just don't understand about the city government, particularly for a city that has conventions and tourism as a major industry.

As for the power lines, the only entity that can make Georgia Power do anything is the state legislature. They have imminent domain powers and could put a substation in your back yard if they wanted to. Clearly the aesthetics within the city has not been a big concern for them for a long time.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:41 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Here's an example of the failure of the city to maintain even a basic level of pedestrian/traffic signals:

There is STILL no crosswalk signal on the corner in front of the Ellis Hotel, which was renovated and reopened a few years ago. How much easier could it possibly have been than to simply install the damn thing when they already had the sidewalk closed off during construction?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Its been an interesting discussion. One thing that really bothers me it that there seems to have been virtually no civic improvements done by the city itself since the Olympics. Most, if not all, of the improvements that have been done recently were initiated and funded by the neighborhood groups such as the Midtown Alliance and ADID. Its one thing I just don't understand about the city government, particularly for a city that has conventions and tourism as a major industry.
The city doesn't have money for things like that. (The Olympics were privately funded, too, of course). Unfortunately the city has tied itself into massive payroll, pension and benefits obligations for city employees, and there's not much left over for anything else.

Take a look at the 2010 General Fund. There's only about 1% allocated to capital outlays. That's $6.6 million for the whole year, for the whole city, and that won't come close to even filling the potholes.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:16 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post

As for the power lines, the only entity that can make Georgia Power do anything is the state legislature. They have imminent domain powers and could put a substation in your back yard if they wanted to. Clearly the aesthetics within the city has not been a big concern for them for a long time.
The question is that even worth the expense?

Sure the poles can be ugly, but they do still perform the task for which they are there for. Blackouts and brown outs are a pretty rare thing compared other places I have lived.

At this moment I am fine with the city/GA power moving power lines underground on a "need to" basis. There are far more useful things the city should allocate money to than replacing existing street lights, traffic lights, crosswalk signals and poles.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:00 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The city doesn't have money for things like that. (The Olympics were privately funded, too, of course). Unfortunately the city has tied itself into massive payroll, pension and benefits obligations for city employees, and there's not much left over for anything else.

Take a look at the 2010 General Fund. There's only about 1% allocated to capital outlays. That's $6.6 million for the whole year, for the whole city, and that won't come close to even filling the potholes.
Of course the city doesn't have the money right this second (and you mentioned one of the reasons why) but there have been times of economic growth and increasing revenue into the city between 1996 and now. Any city does these sort of things. Its what the city government is for and it just baffling to me that a city of this size does so little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The question is that even worth the expense?

Sure the poles can be ugly, but they do still perform the task for which they are there for. Blackouts and brown outs are a pretty rare thing compared other places I have lived.

At this moment I am fine with the city/GA power moving power lines underground on a "need to" basis. There are far more useful things the city should allocate money to than replacing existing street lights, traffic lights, crosswalk signals and poles.
Its more of a "someone has to pay for it" basis.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:07 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,032 times
Quote:

Wow, there is entirely way too much money allocated for personnel.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Atlanta's pension obligations, financial situation is no different from any other municipality and however strained the finances are is a product of their own doing. It is absurd to cite pension obligations to defend insufficient normal upkeep and safety aspects of city property, basic to any definition of city services.

I don't expect the city to fund anything, i'm just wantin' two or three of the ugliest intersections to get new mast-arm signals. Chattahoochee Ave. off Howell Mill Rd. used to be quite ugly, but now there are 5 or 6 new mast-arm signals in the area, no big ordeal, but they've spruced everything up. I doubt they cost $400k each, as someone suggested earlier, my guess is around $50k a pop.

Atlanta is so poorly run, a shame for such a high profile city filled with fortune 500 companies. It should have plenty of cash to do everything.

Instead, CBSAtlanta has to point out missing water main covers and stay on their case until they take action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta