Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:20 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

So before you accuse me of doing drugs and lying, perhaps you should spend a little time researching what should be common knowledge for anyone discussing topics about why Atlanta looks the way it does.
I appreciate the links and enjoy reading about Atlanta's history. Your explanation of why downtown might look the way it does is correct, even though all southeastern cities used streetcars. I still don't believe that leaning, crooked and warped poles are some valuable asset too costly to replace.

My original post was about improving aesthetics of Atlanta's arterial thoroughfares. Streetcars didn't utilize the tangled mess above the intersections I mentioned.

Utility poles are replaced everywhere, everyday and have lifespans just like everything else.

All east coast cities have old, crooked power poles especially in their downtown areas, however I've never seen these un-sawn, warped relics with visible branch marks.

If Georgia Power has always been responsible for these monstrocities and after 100 years still hasn't replaced them, a strong argument can be made for new poles be immediately installed. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 10:33 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
If Georgia Power has always been responsible for these monstrocities and after 100 years still hasn't replaced them, a strong argument can be made for new poles be immediately installed. Thanks for the info.
Call me weird, but I like the old poles.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:39 AM

Here's a ghost pole near my apartment not serving any purpose. It has one little line that isn't connected to anything.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:01 AM

Thanks so much for turning me on to atlantatimemachine.com. This helps further bolster my argument for something to done about, at minimum, shoring up the leaning poles.

COURTESY: Atlantatimemachine.com and Special Collections & Archives, Georgia State University Library

The powerlines were installed much better back then. I can't believe we, as Atlantans, tolerate the half-ass effort in maintaining these lines today. Is is just me? I cringe looking at these present day photos.

Last edited by architect77; 09-09-2010 at 11:21 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 11:06 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for turning me on to atlantatimemachine.com. This helps further bolster my argument for something to done about, at minimum, shoring up the leaning poles.

The powerlines were installed much better back then. I can't believe we, as Atlantans, tolerate the half-ass effort in maintaining these lines today. Is is just me? I cringe looking at these present day photos.
Yup- I think it's just you. You need to find a new hobby to take up the time you spend obsessing over crooked power poles.....

Old 09-09-2010, 11:46 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
You're certainly not alone in wishing that the utility lines could be buried. However, it's a matter of money, not what the people of Atlanta "tolerate."

Presently old-timey wooden poles are not allowed with new construction. And the city is slowly making headway with conversions as individual parcels and streets are redeveloped. Some areas in Midtown and Buckhead have also undertaken projects to get rid of the lines on their main streets. But a wholesale project to bury all the utilities would cost billions and there is no money for that.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Yup- I think it's just you. You need to find a new hobby to take up the time you spend obsessing over crooked power poles.....
At least my hobby could lead to tangible results, unlike both comments I received from you.

Forget it, I give up. Atlanta's perfect, Piedmont Rd is gorgeous, GDOT has planned for Atlanta's future, the sewer system and all other infrastructure is fabulous.

All of these other states restricting billboards, making streetscape improvements, realigning streets to improve safety, etc., could have just adopted Atlanta's approach instead.

North Carolina nor most any other state would ever, ever allow this condition to exist, period. The right lane is headed straight towards the dry cleaners with an abrupt lane shift less than 10 feet from the building. (Piedmont Rd. near Piedmont Park). They should have asked Georgia what to do.

Last edited by architect77; 09-09-2010 at 12:54 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You're certainly not alone in wishing that the utility lines could be buried. However, it's a matter of money, not what the people of Atlanta "tolerate."

Presently old-timey wooden poles are not allowed with new construction. And the city is slowly making headway with conversions as individual parcels and streets are redeveloped. Some areas in Midtown and Buckhead have also undertaken projects to get rid of the lines on their main streets. But a wholesale project to bury all the utilities would cost billions and there is no money for that.
I never suggested burying power lines, it would 100 years and cost billions.

Georgia Power could have a crew drive over adjust these leaning poles in the next week. It's part of regular maintenance.

Please stop commenting on my threads listing every possible excuse under the sun why nothing can be done about anything. I'm going to look at my old posts to see if I'm guilty of this.

It's becoming obvious that these forums are serving a different purpose from the stated intent.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:51 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
I appreciate the links and enjoy reading about Atlanta's history. Your explanation of why downtown might look the way it does is correct, even though all southeastern cities used streetcars. I still don't believe that leaning, crooked and warped poles are some valuable asset too costly to replace.
You are coming to wrong conclusion with the bolded and it's not something I suggested in that way.

The poles would be too expensive to either remove or replace completely. Literally thousands of miles of road with wooden poles just in the city of Atlanta. The poles would have to be torn down, then the street and/or sidewalk, then buried, and then new connections made to houses, apartment buildings, and offices. I don't think anyone could even begin to calculate the cost of it. So for this, I can understand why GA Power has taken the method of redoing streets as they can and repairing other parts as they fail. I do not disagree that something needs to be done about the appearance of them.

The other point I spoke to is that it is, in a ironic way, a good thing that the poles are still in place for when streetcars are added back to Atlanta. If say GA Power removed all the lines and buried them when the last streetcar ran in the 60s, the city would have to no only lay the new track but also install poles AND connect it to the power grid. The good thing about the situation we're in now with is that most of the streets in the city and the power grid were built with streetcars in mind. It will make the process a lot cheaper when all there may need to be done is a replace a pole or two instead of installing them all brand new.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:24 PM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
I never suggested burying power lines, it would 100 years and cost billions.

Georgia Power could have a crew drive over adjust these leaning poles in the next week. It's part of regular maintenance.

Please stop commenting on my threads listing every possible excuse under the sun why nothing can be done about anything. I'm going to look at my old posts to see if I'm guilty of this.

It's becoming obvious that these forums are serving a different purpose from the stated intent.
Come on, don't get angry. I'm on your side. I've tried to respond to your posts and help provide some additional background.

Atlantans have been complaining about utility poles and lines for as long as I can remember, and we HAVE applied pressure to improve the situation wherever possible. And yes, you're absolutely right that Georgia Power could fix leaning poles but it's not as easy as just calling them up and saying, "Hey, come straighten up this pole."

Check this out. In the 60s we lived over near Chastain and complained about this pole several times because it looked like it was about to fall down any minute. You can see how quickly Ga. Power jumped on it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta