Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:31 AM

4,191 posts, read 4,699,855 times

Advertisements

After checking out the weather forecast for the weekend I am so excited that it's going to be a gorgeous weekend in Atlanta. I am planning out my weekend and so far I only have one thing planned:

www.atlantajerkfestival.com

Any suggestions on other things to do this weekend? I'm open to anything...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,225,991 times
Dragon Con
Decatur Book Festival

Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 AM

8,469 posts, read 14,919,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Dragon Con
Decatur Book Festival
Oooh, I didn't know the Book Festival was this weekend. Glad I have some things to do in Clarkston on Saturday afternoon. I'll just stop by on my way back home.

With everything that is going on it's going to be a fun weekend in the city. Last hurrah to summer!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:35 AM

4,688 posts, read 7,989,658 times
House in the Park
Luda Day Weekend

Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 PM

859 posts, read 2,113,825 times
List of some major events around the city.

Labor Day Weekend best bets: Sept. 3-6 | Best Of The Big A

Old 09-02-2010, 12:34 PM

Another quick comment, can someone explain to me what exactly is Dragon Con, and if there a difference between the one here and ComicCon in SoCal. A friend of mine out in LA that does press for celebs was just at ComicCon in San Diego a month or so back and when I tell her there's one in Atlanta each year, it's really not on her radar as a major press junket stop. Celebs I here come out to both. What's the difference?

Old 09-02-2010, 12:44 PM

4,191 posts, read 4,699,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
List of some major events around the city.

Labor Day Weekend best bets: Sept. 3-6 | Best Of The Big A

^The Hot Air Balloon rides at Callaway Garden look great

Old 09-02-2010, 01:09 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,225,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Another quick comment, can someone explain to me what exactly is Dragon Con, and if there a difference between the one here and ComicCon in SoCal. A friend of mine out in LA that does press for celebs was just at ComicCon in San Diego a month or so back and when I tell her there's one in Atlanta each year, it's really not on her radar as a major press junket stop. Celebs I here come out to both. What's the difference?
They're pretty similar in a lot of ways (see EDIT below). If your friend does press for celebrities and isn't aware of Dragon Con, she should probably educate herself. Dragon Con has become a HUGE event. Last year, Dragon Con had William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, who are worshipped as gods in the comic/sci-fi/fantasy crowd, and who performed two of the most iconic roles in the history of entertainment.

Welcome to Dragon*Con! - Welcome to Dragon*Con!

EDIT: I've never been to Comic Con, but I've read about it and seen videos and photos from it. Thinking about it some more, Comic Con seems to have more of an industry trade show feel to it, whereas Dragon Con is more of a celebration and is not industry driven. That's probably why your friend didn't pay much attention to it. Comic Con seems to be about promoting whatever is the latest movie/tv show/comic/sci fi thing, whereas Dragon Con is more about allowing the visitors access to things they're already into (whether it be seminars with celebrities, robot competitions, anything having to do with Klingons, etc.)

Last edited by JPD; 09-02-2010 at 01:33 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
They're pretty similar in a lot of ways (see EDIT below). If your friend does press for celebrities and isn't aware of Dragon Con, she should probably educate herself. Dragon Con has become a HUGE event. Last year, Dragon Con had William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, who are worshipped as gods in the comic/sci-fi/fantasy crowd, and who performed two of the most iconic roles in the history of entertainment.

Welcome to Dragon*Con! - Welcome to Dragon*Con!

EDIT: I've never been to Comic Con, but I've read about it and seen videos and photos from it. Thinking about it some more, Comic Con seems to have more of an industry trade show feel to it, whereas Dragon Con is more of a celebration and is not industry driven. That's probably why your friend didn't pay much attention to it. Comic Con seems to be about promoting whatever is the latest movie/tv show/comic/sci fi thing, whereas Dragon Con is more about allowing the visitors access to things they're already into (whether it be seminars with celebrities, robot competitions, anything having to do with Klingons, etc.)
Gotcha. Thanks!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:22 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,304,639 times
Sounds like we may have 300,000 visitors over the weekend. There sure is a LOT going on.......

The weather sounds like it will be PERFECT. Enjoy, everyone!
Big crowds, great weather expected for weekend events *| ajc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta