Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:25 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,362 times

Advertisements

I found A nice set of Pictures revealing the underground. Check it out.. This is the place everyone is seems to be scared of.. It does highlight alot of African Americans in this thread

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=181892
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 08:35 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,313 times
I love this area and don't care about what others think of it.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:28 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Try taking those pictures after about 6pm and you will have an entirely different story. 5 points has been cleaned up a little bit but it's still pretty embarrassing when it's considered the "heart" of Atlanta. Think about it: this is our Grand Central. There just isn't much to get all excited about around there. It'd be nice if the Rich's was still open and if some of the shops south of Alabama St were more upscale. Nothing too fancy but something better than wig shops and sneaker stores.

Underground is a third rate mall. I had hoped that the clubs and bars of a few years ago would spark a renaissance of the entire area but it didn't quite happen that way. I'm actually starting to think it's cursed. I think it could use a rail museum or something. Bring in some old locomotives and install them downstairs.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:14 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times
Judging by the pics, 5 Points seems to be just as embarrassing as it always has been. It makes Atlanta look ghetto.

And by the way, what are all these young people doing? Do any of them have jobs? Most of them did not have bookbags, so they are obviously not GA State students.

I especially liked the guy dressed up as the Statue of Liberty.

And people wonder why Underground is, and always will be, a failure. They need to just go ahead and sell 5 Points and Underground to GSU and move on already.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Judging by the pics, 5 Points seems to be just as embarrassing as it always has been. It makes Atlanta look ghetto.
How so and be specific?

Quote:
And by the way, what are all these young people doing? Do any of them have jobs? Most of them did not have bookbags, so they are obviously not GA State students.
I don't know what pictures you were looking at, but most of the young people in those pictures had book bags. Also saw a lot business people too.

But what does it matter? In every big city at any time of the day, the central part of the city can be filled with tourists and shoppers. Is there some rule they have to look and dress a certain way for that to be ok?

Quote:
Dude this is Atlanta, our street performers is what makes this place special.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:00 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:

That's just someone dressed up to promote a tax preparation business, and not a crazy person. There are plenty of actual crazy people down there, though.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:04 AM

45 posts, read 125,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I found A nice set of Pictures revealing the underground. Check it out.. This is the place everyone is seems to be scared of.. It does highlight alot of African Americans in this thread

- One Hour - One City: Atlanta - 5 Points! - - SkyscraperPage Forum

By scared, you mean this is the place where a substantial amount of petty and violent crime occurs, including in broad day light, and to tourists.

These pics should be required for folks moving in, so they would know exactly what they are buying when they move to Atlanta. However, I think the reputation is finally starting to precede them.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:09 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Why? Because there are a lot of black people in the photos? After reviewing them I'm afraid I can infer no other meaning in your comment. The neighborhood certainly looked clean in the photos, and no one was getting mugged.
These pictures make Five Points look innocuous enough and more diverse than most people assume. I was rather reminded of my old neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:32 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Why? Because there are a lot of black people in the photos? After reviewing them I'm afraid I can infer no other meaning in your comment. The neighborhood certainly looked clean in the photos, and no one was getting mugged.
EXACTLY. That picture shows who actually frequents Five Points/Underground: People who live and work in the area, GSU students, and kids from inner city neighborhoods who come there to mingle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
These pictures make Five Points look innocuous enough and more diverse than most people assume. I was rather reminded of my old neighborhood in Brooklyn.
It's funny you say that since to me Five Points/Underground/Fairlie-Poplar is a lot like if you carved out four blocks each from Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens Blvd (the shops especially) and Downtown Los Angeles and put it all together as one.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,359 times
I agree with StAubin; I liked those pictures, they reminded me of what I see at Five Points as I am in that area on a regular basis; some interesting moments captured. You also get to see the usual cast of various people, too, who frequent the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta