Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Then there are the crazies who no nothing of the rules of the road and, in the name of southern hospitality, do all types of things likely to get someone killed - trying to be nice. Like stopping in the middle of the freaking street and waving some pedestrian on in front of ur car. Problem is, ur in the middle of the road - not at a crosswalk or light - and the driver coming in the lane next to you has no idea that u just coaxed a poor innocent person out into the middle of the road in the name of southern hospitality. I've heard of at least two pedestrians being killed like that. Then there is the non-adherence to the pedestrian right-of-way rule.
I agree about your sentiment on "trying to be nice". The behavior drives me nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Drivers in the metro pay little to no attention to pedestrians and cyclist. Drivers turning left or right never look for pedestrians in the crosswalk. I have often wondered if they teach that pedestrians have the right-of-way in crosswalks when walking with traffic? In defense of some drivers, areas that get more pedestrian and cyclist traffic, more urban neighborhoods, tend to be more courteous towards pedestrians and cyclist. I'm sure this is due to these drivers having more experience with peds and cyclists and being more aware.
About pedestrians: For me, it has been more a matter of visibility. A lack of, that is. Visibility can be very poor, with the lack of a grid and especially the undulations.

We can talk about pedestrian right-of-way until pigs fly. Pedestrians need to be more vigilant. As a pedestrian, it's absurd to presume that drivers are aware of, or care. A lot of info. has to be processed while driving. Drivers are eating, on the phone, disciplining their children, etc. Be vigilant while walking.

Drivers would do well to signal when the car in front of you wants to turn left and oncoming traffic prevent to immediate execution of said turn. Even a right turn requires that the lead driver slow down. Example: ten cars are in succession. The lead car wants to turn left. The lead car communicate this by turn on their left turn signal The second car should also turn on their left turn signal to communicate to the third car to slow down. I advocate for the third and fourth car to signal also. Let's make this catch on. So what, the car behind you thinks that you don't know where in the hell you're going. At least you weren't rear ended! Right?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
About pedestrians: For me, it has been more a matter of visibility. A lack of, that is. Visibility can be very poor, with the lack of a grid and especially the undulations.

We can talk about pedestrian right-of-way until pigs fly. Pedestrians need to be more vigilant. As a pedestrian, it's absurd to presume that drivers are aware of, or care. A lot of info. has to be processed while driving. Drivers are eating, on the phone, disciplining their children, etc. Be vigilant while walking.
The law is the law. If a car hits a ped in the crosswalk, it is the drivers fought. But a ped should be able to walk, with traffic in a crosswalk without having to worry about drivers turning into them! The driver can obviously see the ped in the crosswalk.
Most peds are vigilante, gotta be in today's society of distracted drivers. Driving is dangerous enough, just focus on driving and leave the rest of the crap alone.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:39 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The law is the law. If a car hits a ped in the crosswalk, it is the drivers fought. But a ped should be able to walk, with traffic in a crosswalk without having to worry about drivers turning into them! The driver can obviously see the ped in the crosswalk.
Most peds are vigilante, gotta be in today's society of distracted drivers. Driving is dangerous enough, just focus on driving and leave the rest of the crap alone.

You are way too emotional. "The drivers fought". "Most peds are vigilante".

I'm certain that there is a law against drinking and driving. Despite that law, people drive drunk. Pedestrians owe it to themselves to be keenly aware of the vehicles on the road, especially at intersections. I'll make myself clear, it is sometimes difficult to see pedestrians because of the convoluted roads and hills. Angles are poor at some intersections, including parking lots.

I agree, a pedestrian should be able to walk without having to worry about being struck by a vehicle. However, that is fantasy! Atlanta has made a place for people who behave that way: Grady Hospital trauma ICU or the morgue.

You may find solace in knowing that the driver that struck and killed your loved one is in jail. I wouldn't find comfort in said scenario.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,708 times
This is hilarious. ATL drivers ARE nuts. Especially in the rain.

lol@ cqholt

Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Just curious, when you are being tailgated on a backroad, do you ever consider moving over and letting the person get by you?

I always find it interesting that the people who complain about tailgating also seem to mention "NASCAR" (or other drivers speeding) as if they object to other people driving faster than they are.

Why not just get the hell out of the way? Wouldn't that make you and them happier?
When I'm driving the speed limit or above and some jackass comes racing up behind me and starts tailgating me like a jerk, then I rightfully assume that it's not me, it's them.

I don't mind people driving faster than I do, but you obviously haven't seen how some of these people drive(or perhaps you ARE one of those people, which from your tone wouldn't surprise me).

I've got a better idea than me getting out of the way.

Don't drive like an a**hole.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
You are way too emotional. "The drivers fought". "Most peds are vigilante".

I'm certain that there is a law against drinking and driving. Despite that law, people drive drunk. Pedestrians owe it to themselves to be keenly aware of the vehicles on the road, especially at intersections. I'll make myself clear, it is sometimes difficult to see pedestrians because of the convoluted roads and hills. Angles are poor at some intersections, including parking lots.

I agree, a pedestrian should be able to walk without having to worry about being struck by a vehicle. However, that is fantasy! Atlanta has made a place for people who behave that way: Grady Hospital trauma ICU or the morgue.

You may find solace in knowing that the driver that struck and killed your loved one is in jail. I wouldn't find comfort in said scenario.
I ain't no spelling bee champ!
As a pedestrian myself, most do walk with vigilance and are always looking for cars, but drivers need to slow down and not be such a hurry all the time, like making that left turn before the light turns red. Driving is hard enough, put down the cell phone and cheeseburger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: