Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:51 AM

369 posts, read 657,296 times

Advertisements

So after this initial post I finally made it to Atlanta and it has exceeded or at least met my expectations from what I experienced. I tried to cover a lot of ground from Sandy Spring to Stone mountain, Gwinnett down to the airport, I went far west as Georgia Tech.

I can't quite put my finger on what impresses me about Atlanta, the best way I can put it but it feels like a very open and positive place. Despite its disadvantages, it has surpassed other cities. It is not on the water, it does not have a port or some other natural advantage, it did not have the privilege of being one of the first yet it has surpassed cities like Miami, Cleveland, Seattle etc. Some would say the large African American population would be a disadvantage but it was able best other cities to host the Olympics and is constantly being compared to cities like Boston. It's one of a few cities in the US that has a supertall, a building over 1000 feet (where Boston, Philly doesn't even have one).

Atlanta is a relatively young city that has moved at breakneck pace, the number of skyscrapers and districts along Peachtree... let me just say to build an office/Mixed use tower like 3344 Peachtree in Baltimore would take 20 years or never happen at all. Buckhead alone could hold it's own as a major city, or perhaps like Charlotte (which was beautiful but dead), it just needs to be more dense, but it is moving towards that and I understand its a young city and it has made a lot of progress in a short amount of time.

Atlanta has reinforced my belief that despite D.C. area claiming to be liberal and open, it is an area of too many control freaks, too many rules, bias, division and lack of pride

I was also reinforced in my belief that D.C. area does not know how to promote itself and is definitely too expensive (not worth the extra cost).

Atlanta is bigger than I thought, I underestimated its size and next time will not get a hotel where I did.

Funny thing though is that even though the distance to travel seems like it would take forever (because the skyline looks so distance from certain parts), I arrived to my destination quicker than I thought.

It's my understanding that the biggest asset Atlanta has are its ambitious people who care, and I hope that doesn't change for it.

Here are some more of my observations, I'll highlight them and try to keep it short from now on

MARTA vs. METRO... MARTA wins.

MARTA is just a better overall system than METRO, the biggest plus to me personally was that MARTA was cleaner/neater than METRO. The train cars were less dusty part of the reason is that Atlanta wasn't stupid enough put carpet down like D.C. did. This is easier to clean and saves money. I didn't see any trash despite rules allowing you to eat on cars (METRO does not allow you to eat/drink on cars and at the stations yet there is trash everywhere, which has me believe they don't clean the cars).

METRO cars are inexcusably old, its disgusting, at least with MARTA the fact that the cars were just refurbished is even more amazing and even more shameful on METRO. Everything about METRO screams 1970s. Marta stations were also much more modern looking than I thought.

MARTA cars are also quieter than METRO, you might as well sit on top of the METRO train cause you can hear every movement, every screech, MARTA was just very quiet for a train.

MARTA did not stop and jerk the train every 500 feet unlike METRO!

The far gates work on MARTA and surprisingly well! DC METRO still uses a slot type for paper cards instead of a scan and smart trip cards dont work more than half the time.

MARTA car doors ACT LIKE ELEVATOR DOORS!!! They will not close on you!

MARTA audio announcement are far superior! I never understood why the D.C. area is so terrible at self promotion. You need to make newcomers aware of what you have, Atlanta does just that. MARTA informs you and promotes each stop, the pre recorded audio is a mini tour guide. She is precise and clear to understand. METRO on the other hand lets the operators make all the announcements. Not only can you not understand what the operator on METRO is saying many times, they are annoying, inconsistent, and say the wrong stops. I think its actually distracting to them. Why can’t announcements be automated on METRO?

Did I mention that MARTA has TVs? How is that possible without dedicated funding? METRO are you listing quit your bitching.

Ridership was high, trains were packed (probably because the days i went though)

MARTA is cheaper! I can round trip a MARTA line tip to tip for $4 on METRO redline it would cost me $10.40!!!

METRO always complains and ******* about how it doesn't get dedicated funding, MARTA has proved that METRO is wasting our money in the D.C. area!

It is true what they say the people are friendlier here,

The people working at the airport were very helpful, people working almost everywhere were helpful and kind besides the security gate (but she was even helpful despite stern) and one guy that worked at airtran. But none of the nasty attitude, like "I'm going to act like you don't exist" or a nasty stare for no reason like in D.C. If someone stares at you they greet you. In D.C. they either act like they weren't looking at you, stare like you're the most weird disgusting thing they've ever seen in their life, or even laugh. People were willing to help and they didn't act like I was wasting their time.

I struck up many friendly conversations where ever I went and I didn't have to initiate it.

Atlanta's way is definitely something I can get used to and willing to change to.

Atlanta throws a better party

The hours are long and the drinks are cheap. The clubs are also cheaper, people were complaining about $5 lol. Some you can even get in free, without a pass. No closing at 2:30am like D.C. Parking is cheap.

Piedmont Park

The things I saw in Piedmont park during the day lol. Anyways it's a very nice vantage point to get some the best skyline shots of the city. I especially like the highrise areas in midtown bordering the park, with the lush large green trees, I could see myself living there. It's a beautiful park overall, just wish it was bigger.

Atlantic Station

Atlantic station was also larger than I thought and architecture more grand and majestic. I do not know why people say its "failed" because of a certain element. It shutdown too early though IMO and the gateway bridge should have been more substantial. It's very much like National Harbor although I thought the architecture was better overall. I can only dream of office towers like that at National Harbor.

Downtown

I was pleasantly surprised to find more historic structures than I thought I would find in around downtown, by the aquarium as well. That five points area looks similar to Baltimore's Westside which although neglected has some charming structures. It's good that Atlanta can offer some grit.

So I guess this review wouldn't be so believable if I didn't mention some cons.

Atlanta needs to do some major streetscaping, the decorative street lamps stuck into sidewalks that are falling apart is not a good look. This is excusable though I guess but even the urban areas outside D.C. have brick pavers, nice street lamps and power lines buried, D.C. proper sidewalks are lined with marble. I don't know what's done in Atlanta but in Maryland at least the developer is responsible for the streetscaping in front of their building and has to use standard adopted guidelines.

Not to beat on Atlanta, New York has it worst as far as streetscaping which I don't find excusable.

The "suburbs" in Atlanta are not as developed as D.C.s

Also, rents are kind of getting up there, one place on monroe quoted me as much as $1,400! I went to Town/Brookhaven as well which was not close to MARTA at all and it was pushing close $1,000, granted Brookhaven will have the convenience of a grocery store and gym built in.

Lindbergh was close to the MARTA but no grocery, and units were small for well over $1,000 which is pushing D.C. territory and kind of defeats the purpose. I think I will end up needing a car, especially if I want something fairly new in the $600 - $800 range.

It's not so much that MARTA is inadequate, I think it's coverage is pretty good. I just don't think developers in Atlanta are taking advantage of the stations like they should, its almost like they still expect you to drive to one and park. If I'm in my car already that's it!

All in All I can definitely see myself living in Atlanta, it's my kind of environment, less harsh winters (hopefully), pro business, friendly, sense of pride and self promotion, beautiful and new cityscape, just an overall progressive place that aims to be #1.

Last edited by readyset; 09-11-2010 at 12:20 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 12:08 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed your stay here.

I dont think you can eat on the trains here. I know they changed the rules to allow you to be able to purchase goods in the station n eat in the stations as well as drink but you are still not allowed to eat on the train. It's a ticketable offense.

Quote:
That five points area looks similar to Baltimore's Westside which although neglected has some charming structures. It's good that Atlanta can offer some grit
Reminds me more so of Greenmount Avenue between 33rd and 39th

Last edited by PKCorey; 09-11-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 12:20 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
I have to disagree with you on Marta and the Metro. I lived in DC for three years and the Metro is a far superior system in my opinion. It's actually one of the things I miss about DC since returning home. More expensive, but it goes EVERYWHERE compared to Marta. Marta can only get you limited places. I love both cities, but you definitely need a car to get around Atlanta.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed your stay here.

I dont think you can eat on the trains here. I know they changed the rules to allow you to be able to purchase goods in the station n eat in the stations as well as drink but you are still not allowed to eat on the train. It's a ticketable offense.

Reminds me more so of Greenmount Avenue between 33rd and 39th
OK, I saw someone eating on the train and assumed so, because I didn't see any "no eating" signs.

Despite that its still cleaner than METRO.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:38 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Now I love Atlanta and will be moving to the area soon, but I'm sorry, there's just no way that MARTA beats Metro. Even Atlantans will tell you such. Whenever I visit Atlanta, I basically wind up driving everywhere but in DC, I take the train everywhere. Perhaps MARTA does some of the details better, but that's generally not how people rate a transit system overall. Metro goes all throughout the city and suburbs, and is building another line to Dulles. Granted, it's a huge advantage to essentially have the federal government footing a big chunk of the bill, but that's why it's such a comprehensive system.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I have to disagree with you on Marta and the Metro. I lived in DC for three years and the Metro is a far superior system in my opinion. It's actually one of the things I miss about DC since returning home. More expensive, but it goes EVERYWHERE compared to Marta. Marta can only get you limited places. I love both cities, but you definitely need a car to get around Atlanta.
But METRO doesn't go everywhere.

I'm confused as to where people want MARTA to go next, Marietta, north Sandy Springs?

I suppose but then METRO is just as guilty if not more, for one there's no metro service to BWI (Baltimore's mass trans does though) or Dulles (this will change with the Silver line)

Here's a few places, METRO has missed,

Maryland

Silver Spring (White Oak, huge FDA headquarters and over 7,000 employees, the county also desperately needs it to be a catalyst for Biotech)
Silver Spring (one more station passed Glenmont)
Silver Spring (South Silver Spring in downtown)

Gaithersburg (lakeforest area)
Gaithersburg (Washingtonian)

Germantown (Town Center)

Bowie

Laurel

National Harbor (this is planned)

Andrews Air Force Base

Greenbelt to BWI

Virginia

I think it's all addressed with the Silverline but it isnt completed yet.

D.C.

Georgetown

The area up 16th street perhaps a mile down from the Silver Spring/Maryland border.

Huge swaths of Capital hill, people are very car dependent there.

There really should be a connection from Union Station to Capital hill South or Eastern Market.

Huge parts of NE.

Last edited by readyset; 09-11-2010 at 12:58 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Now I love Atlanta and will be moving to the area soon, but I'm sorry, there's just no way that MARTA beats Metro. Even Atlantans will tell you such. Whenever I visit Atlanta, I basically wind up driving everywhere but in DC, I take the train everywhere. Perhaps MARTA does some of the details better, but that's generally not how people rate a transit system overall. Metro goes all throughout the city and suburbs, and is building another line to Dulles. Granted, it's a huge advantage to essentially have the federal government footing a big chunk of the bill, but that's why it's such a comprehensive system.
I spend most of my time inside a METRO car so it is a BIG part of the system and not a minor detail, it not too much to ask them to be safe and clean and they are not.

D.C.s METRO "coverage" is overrated. People forget about problems, particularly how unhygienic these subway systems are (probably because their homes are the same way).

At the same time if it did go everywhere, would you really be eager to take it? Do you really want to go from Glenmont to Shady Grove on the Redline? Would that reallly be such a pleasant experience? Leave that for comuuter rail, we should push for MARC to run on weekends, go both ways and to be extended.

The thing I didn't like about New Yorks subway was too many stops IMO. if they're all so close, Why don't I just walk there?

People will normally take a vehicle if the distance is too far to walk which is usually at least 4 stops, so having a stop every half a mile is kind of excessive IMO.

D.C. METRO does a good job at this and so does MARTA but METRO does not go everywhere.

And like you said MARTA doesn't get any dedicated funding from the feds or its state and it is run better than METRO. Just goes to show METRO needs to clean up before it gets dedicated funding.

For a city to build a Heavy Rail system at abut the same time as the Nations Capital without as much federal backing says alot about Atlanta that it was very ahead of it's time.

Fast forward to today and we have regressed, look at cities like Charlotte and Dallas building their first lines as light rail. IMO they will regret it when they realize how inadequate it is 10 - 20 years from now.

Last edited by readyset; 09-11-2010 at 01:13 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 01:49 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Dude...

Marta is not even in the same ballpark as the D.C. Metro with only 38 stations compared to 86. You may be impressed with its cleanliness as a visitor but as a resident, I think the fact that it has poor coverage, constant delays, ever-rising fares, surly service, and is in a constant state of financial panic due to mismanagement and neglect makes it unreliable at best.

As far as the NYC subway having too many stops: You're the first I've ever heard complain about this. I always liked the fact that I could take several lines to about a half dozen stations all a few blocks from my job in midtown. New Yorkers like convenience and their subway by far is the most convenient and efficient in the country. The express trains make limited stops if you want to walk.

Atlanta doesn't offer nearly the amount of culture and history D.C. does. People in Atlanta do tend to be friendlier but they have their moments. I'd say New Yorkers are friendlier than people in D.C. I couldn't really figure out Washingtonians easily.

I think the interconnectedness of DC up to Boston is pretty amazing. The Acela can have you in Boston in less than 8 hours and there are tons of cheap chinatown buses between DC and several NE cities. The closest reasonably sized city to Atlanta is Birmingham and its 3 hours away almost. And who even wants to go to Birmingham?

I may be moving to Washington in the next couple years if things go as I plan. we'll see.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Dude...

Marta is not even in the same ballpark as the D.C. Metro with only 38 stations compared to 86. You may be impressed with its cleanliness as a visitor but as a resident, I think the fact that it has poor coverage, constant delays, ever-rising fares, surly service, and is in a constant state of financial panic due to mismanagement and neglect makes it unreliable at best.

As far as the NYC subway having too many stops: You're the first I've ever heard complain about this. I always liked the fact that I could take several lines to about a half dozen stations all a few blocks from my job in midtown. New Yorkers like convenience and their subway by far is the most convenient and efficient in the country. The express trains make limited stops if you want to walk.

Atlanta doesn't offer nearly the amount of culture and history D.C. does. People in Atlanta do tend to be friendlier but they have their moments. I'd say New Yorkers are friendlier than people in D.C. I couldn't really figure out Washingtonians easily.

I think the interconnectedness of DC up to Boston is pretty amazing. The Acela can have you in Boston in less than 8 hours and there are tons of cheap chinatown buses between DC and several NE cities. The closest reasonably sized city to Atlanta is Birmingham and its 3 hours away almost. And who even wants to go to Birmingham?

I may be moving to Washington in the next couple years if things go as I plan. we'll see.
But where is MARTA suppose to go that makes it so inadequate? No one has answered this question.

I've already mentioned METROs "missing stations" so it is not perfect as well.

You will appreciate a clean system when you constantly get sick, sit in a wet, spot, see someones mucus or boogers (gum if you're lucky) on the windows, smell moldy carpets or step in vomit.

You complained about MARTA " I think the fact that it has poor coverage, constant delays, ever-rising fares, surly service, and is in a constant state of financial panic due to mismanagement and neglect makes it unreliable at best. "

You simply don't understand how good you have it. METRO is far more expensive than MARTA and they are still raising rates while nothing works. I've lost a lot of money because the machines dont work.

Did a MARTA train crash and kill nine people on it last year? METRO did! Did it crash again and jump the track a few months later? METRO did! Do fires constantly break out on it? On METRO is does!

Did MARTA take cars from the 70s (not even refurbished) and sandwich them between 2 new cars at each end (or sometimes only the front) as a "safety measure" with no proof that this will keep the inner cars from crumpling up like an accordion after a crash on the most heavily traveled line while the less used lines, get all new cars?

Ridership is far higher yet METRO continues to whine about not having any money, they raised rates three times in 4 months. They get an inundation of Funding from Maryland, Va, and DC and Federal Gov yet they constantly complain about no money. That's mismanagement, MARTA is a finely tuned well run machine compared to METRO.

Use your feet to get to where you're going, if you can't walk at least half a mile something is wrong, that's why New York's is excessive IMO. Or there should at least be an express service (I think there is).

And do you know how expensive Acela train service can be? I'd rather take a plane to Boston from D.C. you can find air fares lower than $49 bucks.

Last edited by readyset; 09-11-2010 at 02:55 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 03:47 PM

174 posts, read 412,003 times
I will have to agree with the other posters. The metro is a better rail system than Marta. The rail lines mainly stay within I-285. So the people who works out of 285 will mainly depend on their pov. I go to DC often for my job and I never have to think about renting a car. I am able to go to all the places I want riding the Metro. If you live outside the rail system in DC, they have commuter trains that connects to the metro. The VRE in Virginia and the MARC in Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta