Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,593 times

Advertisements

High home prices, yet a high rate of poverty, high school dropouts, and "foreign born residents" from latin america., and crime. Sounds a lot like California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 01:10 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
It used to be that people said crime was in the inner cities. Amazing how quickly things change.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:44 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
Cumming has been on those high crime lists in rankings with other metro Atlanta suburbs before as some other highly "desirable" bedroom communities (select suburbs and exurbs of Atlanta). This sounds like old news to me.

Cumming is a nice area in general high end housing along with older small homes in the city limits, but I don't profess to know much about Cumming in 2010 as I do not go up there that often. I would venture to guess more than half the working people in Forsyth County commute to other counties for their work.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:24 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Default Cumming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The rates were announced today on the AJC. Why is Cumming on this list? It seems like a nice, semi-rural family oriented area.

Metro Atlanta crime rates: 2009 *| ajc.com

Democrat/Atlanta Answer:

Due to the increase in transient/temporary labor coupled with abundant affordable housing, good schools and a caring community, Cumming Georgia has become a magnet for casual crime driven by a current lack of sustainable employment for the current population.

This, coupled with the clear lack of government funds and subsidies commonly found in established communities south like Fulton and Dekalb, Forsyth county will continue to sustain a steady reduction in per capita income ultimately resulting in a higher non-violent crime rate trending towards a time in the future whereby employment will rebound and thus remove any residual effect of said casual crime which in turn will be fully offset by the current, primarily caucasian demographic growth throughout the county creating the need for said transient labor.....

Republican Answer: Too many Mexicans with no/low demand for lawn services.....

Old 09-18-2010, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 16,748 times
norcross in the top 10?

Old 09-18-2010, 04:31 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
What makes Cumming so desirable ? Crime is high. For some reason, housing prices are high despite the high crime rate, and it's a long way from Atlanta. Also, there aren't a lot of jobs there. It's just a bedroom community. It wouldn't surprise me if over 50% of the people who lived there work in neighboring counties like Gwinnett or Fulton.

This is why Forsyth County desireable

Forsyth County has been one of the fastest growing areas in the United States in terms of percentage of growth for several years during the 2000s.[4][5][6] The population growth was caused by the county's proximity to Atlanta and its appeal as a commuter area for people working in the Atlanta area. The influx of high earning professionals increased the average income to a point where Forbes.com named it as the 13th wealthiest county in the United States in terms of median household income for 2008. At near $84,872 it is also the wealthiest county in the state of Georgia, and the 20th wealthiest county in the nation

I guess the Rich Committ crimes too

Old 09-20-2010, 08:57 AM

38 posts, read 70,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
The answer is quite simple amigo.
Yeah sad, but true.
I was looking to buy a house up that way, but after seeing scads of people sitting around in empty parking lots just waiting to be picked up on the back of a truck to do day labor... well it scared me off from wanting to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta