Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:51 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times

Advertisements

The rates were announced today on the AJC. Why is Cumming on this list? It seems like a nice, semi-rural family oriented area.

Metro Atlanta crime rates: 2009 *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The rates were announced today on the AJC. Why is Cumming on this list? It seems like a nice, semi-rural family oriented area.

Because most media outlets make the incorrect correlation between crimes per capita and how "bad" a place is. If you look at any list of "the highest crime rate" cities, they always have one thing in common: small physical size, small population or both. In Cumming's case, they have only 5000 residents so the metric they use would exaggerate how "bad" it is there.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:08 PM

281 posts, read 617,499 times
The answer is quite simple amigo.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:26 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,472 times
I doubt that list is accurate. Most likely they're are only talking about city limits for these cities when many areas in the metro lie in unincorporated areas with the closest city names for an address. Unincorporated areas have drastically larger populations than the city proper for cities like College Park, East Point, and Decatur. Also, there are nice parts of town in every city. One bad neighborhood or a cluster might ruin a city's stats. If you're worried about crime I would find out which police department governs a particular area you're interested in and research crime values in the surrounding area online. Cumming city limits are tiny. Almost half of Forsyth County has a Cumming address though. It's so small I doubt they have crime issues comparable to the city of Atlanta, Forest Park, and Doraville. The AJC though is not the best source of information, for ANYTHING.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:10 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Because most media outlets make the incorrect correlation between crimes per capita and how "bad" a place is. If you look at any list of "the highest crime rate" cities, they always have one thing in common: small physical size, small population or both. In Cumming's case, they have only 5000 residents so the metric they use would exaggerate how "bad" it is there.
But the list says it only contains cities of greater than 10,000 citizens.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:33 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
But the list says it only contains cities of greater than 10,000 citizens.
LOL, exactly.

As of 2009, they have a population of 5,896...I guess they felt it made it "close enough"

//www.city-data.com/city/Cumming-Georgia.html

Old 09-13-2010, 06:46 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Not to change the topic to leave out Cumming, but on the note of metro city rankings, Atlanta city is #4. I have noticed that even now, the majority of crimes that happen in the metro area still occur in Atlanta city, and particularly in SE or SW Atlanta. Since Atlanta city's population is only 10% of the metro, that is what makes the city's crime rate per capita very high.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:30 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:

That's sad. I remember when Forsyth used to be a nice area. Thhings can sure go south in a hurry.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:29 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's sad. I remember when Forsyth used to be a nice area. Thhings can sure go south in a hurry.

Um, Forsyth County is still a very nice place. It's further out than I would choose to live, however, it's very desirable. Also, as has been said, the article was referencing the city limits which are quite small. I'm not sure if y'all have been to the actual city of Cumming, but it's not that great. However, I don't think it should have been included on this list, as there are only 6,000 people in the whole town. This is a ridiculous statement by the AJC, per usual.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Um, Forsyth County is still a very nice place. It's further out than I would choose to live, however, it's very desirable. Also, as has been said, the article was referencing the city limits which are quite small. I'm not sure if y'all have been to the actual city of Cumming, but it's not that great. However, I don't think it should have been included on this list, as there are only 6,000 people in the whole town. This is a ridiculous statement by the AJC, per usual.
What makes Cumming so desirable ? Crime is high. For some reason, housing prices are high despite the high crime rate, and it's a long way from Atlanta. Also, there aren't a lot of jobs there. It's just a bedroom community. It wouldn't surprise me if over 50% of the people who lived there work in neighboring counties like Gwinnett or Fulton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta