Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:18 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,237,677 times

Advertisements

I love it here! Just moved 10 weeks ago from Southeast Florida, where I lived for 20 years. Hubby hunted for a job, landed one, we moved here, and it's way better than our life was in Florida. The kids have such a better quality of life (in my opinion). The people are friendly (again, my opinion), and it's just so pretty and green. So many parks. The kids are involved in sports and dance already. Homes prices are lower than what we are used to, and the homes are bigger for those prices, and my husbands commute is way shorter (thankfully) than it ever was in South Florida.
But we live in the burbs of Atlanta (less expensive).

Last edited by AJ1972; 09-15-2010 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 11:54 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,002,853 times
I love it here! I moved back in early 2009 from traveling the world in the Army. Best decision I every made was to move back to Atlanta!

Old 09-15-2010, 12:40 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,542,934 times
i will be leaving atlanta soon....i will miss it though

Old 09-15-2010, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,244 times
Wink Searching for a good home warrenty company reasonable price

I am looking for a good home warrenty company efficient service and reasonable price anyone out there can give an endorsement or recommendation would be appreciated ? Some companies are very expensive and some are unreliable.

Last edited by Frankienow; 09-15-2010 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Add more to thread.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:53 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,101,140 times
Im a native, so I cant comment on a decision to move here. But I am also not drinking the kool-aid that some people are. Atlanta has changed, and if things keep up the way they are, a tipping point could be in the near future. Specifically, the city is being swamped by a certain group of people who think that this is the land of milk and honey, and that they can get a handout here because some magazine arbitrarily ranked it as such. If the demographic makeup of the people moving here doesn't balance out a bit more, and soon, im worried the metro will go into decline.

To change the makeup of the people moving here, the city of Atlanta itself needs to alter the perception it has with the rest of the nation and pop-culture. Less New Orleans/Baltimore/Memphis and more Seattle/Chicago/Dallas. Changing of the city leadership will be the first step. The soonest that can happen is 2013. I hope that isn't too late.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:33 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,961,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Im a native, so I cant comment on a decision to move here. But I am also not drinking the kool-aid that some people are. Atlanta has changed, and if things keep up the way they are, a tipping point could be in the near future. Specifically, the city is being swamped by a certain group of people who think that this is the land of milk and honey, and that they can get a handout here because some magazine arbitrarily ranked it as such. If the demographic makeup of the people moving here doesn't balance out a bit more, and soon, im worried the metro will go into decline.

To change the makeup of the people moving here, the city of Atlanta itself needs to alter the perception it has with the rest of the nation and pop-culture. Less New Orleans/Baltimore/Memphis and more Seattle/Chicago/Dallas. Changing of the city leadership will be the first step. The soonest that can happen is 2013. I hope that isn't too late.
This is like a 'Find the Coded Language -- For Beginners' exercise.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,689,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
This is like a 'Find the Coded Language -- For Beginners' exercise.
LMAO, right?

The damn neegras are taking over ATL...

Old 09-15-2010, 02:47 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,411,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Whewww... i was worried for a second. I would like to move to Atlanta once the job market stabilizes. So, it's nice to know that you all feel Atlanta is still a great place to live and not going down hill as the OP seems to imply. I appreciate everyone's diverse perspective.
In life you have to take (calculated) chances. Come to Atlanta a few times on your own, and see if it's for you. Don't let the debbie-downers, the xenophobes (there are plenty here, You'll know who they are in a few posts), and the paranoids scare you.

Let this forum help you with some information, and take "end of the world stories", "Atlanta is going to hell" posts, with a grain of salt. Your perception and perspectives are more important than anything they'll say.

Some people have a bad day, and want to vent their frustrations here. Some can't call out the minority or lady at work, on the street or at the supermarket (be it their boss, co-worker or stranger, due to cowardice), and do it here. Some of these people, you may also find them on sites such as Stormfront etc...

You'll get to know the punks of the Atlanta forum in no time . I'm not calling anyone out. You'll get the picture in no time though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
i will be leaving atlanta soon....i will miss it though
Where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post

DING!!! DING!!! DING!!! We have our first contestant!!!!

Looks like someone has done some covert, grammatical work in their lifetime....

FAIL!!! (Major FACE PALM)

Old 09-15-2010, 02:56 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,521,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
If you find a city that matches your interest better, go for it. Metro-Atlanta is a good region that will probably work for many (there are many things to enjoy). It also has the potential to disappoint many.

Economy-wise, I dont think Atlanta will outperform stronger regions of the nation (e.g. BosWash corridor) in the near future.
I have mixed feelings about Atlanta and sort of a love/hate relationship with the city. In all honesty, if Atlanta wasn't the closest major city to the podunk area of North Georgia where I grew up(and where my family still is) I doubt I'd be here. I've been here long enough to see the city change in some good ways and some bad ways.

I'm frustrated like a lot of people that poor leadership has gotten us into holes we'll be digging our way out of for a long time. The city spends money fixing problems that been ignored for too long leaving little money to fix current problems and enhance the city's livability. It's a cycle. A lot of neighborhoods have been totally neglected during the prosperous times as well. Sometimes I just feel like this city doesn't know how to get its s&*t together on some of the things most basic to running a city.

On the other hand the city can be a decent place to live at times. There is a fair amount of things going on and there is a pretty wide variety of people.

I agree with FromGa that some people are a better fit in some cities. I don't absolutely hate Atlanta now but it has been a long time since I've been crazy about living here.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:08 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,305,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I have mixed feelings about Atlanta and sort of a love/hate relationship with the city. In all honesty, if Atlanta wasn't the closest major city to the podunk area of North Georgia where I grew up(and where my family still is) I doubt I'd be here. I've been here long enough to see the city change in some good ways and some bad ways.

I'm frustrated like a lot of people that poor leadership has gotten us into holes we'll be digging our way out of for a long time. The city spends money fixing problems that been ignored for too long leaving little money to fix current problems and enhance the city's livability. It's a cycle. A lot of neighborhoods have been totally neglected during the prosperous times as well. Sometimes I just feel like this city doesn't know how to get its s&*t together on some of the things most basic to running a city.

On the other hand the city can be a decent place to live at times. There is a fair amount of things going on and there is a pretty wide variety of people.

I agree with FromGa that some people are a better fit in some cities. I don't absolutely hate Atlanta now but it has been a long time since I've been crazy about living here.
Wow DTL3000, looked at your profile. You have lived in Lompoc, CA! How long? Your origins seem to be Rome, GA. I lived a long time in Athens, GA. And hence in Atlanta now.

Some things can not be change about metro Atlanta -- ocean will be 4.5 hrs away, next major city will be 10+ hours away, there will be no real expansion of mass transit, etc. The city is decent, but will probably never be a true city in the Eurpoean/northeast sense. Summers will be unbearably hot, and pretty much you stay inside. Economy-wise, I dont see things making a big turn in the near future (I think investment money was pouring into Atlanta in the past. I dont see this happening as we go along. Especially as investors are probably going to find the next big place in the global economy to put their money. Just my opinion, I am not an economist!)

On the other hand, there is enough stuff to do here to keep life active. Plus, you can always travel to beach + other cities, etc. Suburbs are good. If you have a job, life goes on, and there is no compelling reason to move. One can always argue that the above things (beach, etc.) are not essentials.

However, if one is able to pull off living in an area that suits them better, why not make the effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta