Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:52 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'm hoping to get an answer from someone who would ask the question, or better yet, someone who has asked the question.
Okay, gotcha. I have known people who would be prone to ask that type of question, and they have never seemed to be anyone who would be trying to use the information against another person. I guess that is where my reply came from...it just doesn't seem like a question that should generate any paranoia, but you can't really tell someone what they should be paranoid about I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 12:56 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
I'm hoping to get an answer from someone who would ask the question, or better yet, someone who has asked the question.
'Church Lady'/SNL? Gossiping in small towns goes on.

http://ashlandbelle.com/Southern.html

A whistling woman and a crowing hen never comes to a very good end. (be who you are)
Ain't that the berries! (that is great!)
As easy as sliding off a greasy log backward. (very easy)
Barking up the wrong tree. (you are wrong)
Be like the old lady who fell out of the wagon. (you aren't involved, so stay out of it)
Busy as a stump-tailed cow in fly time. (very busy)
Caught with your pants down. (surprised and unprepared)
Chugged full. (full and over-flowing)
Do go on. (you must be joking)
Don't bite off more than you can chew. (attempt what you can accomplish)
Don't count your chickens until they hatch. (first know the results)
Don't let the tail wag the dog. (the cheif is in charge, not the Indians)
Don't let your mouth overload your tail. (talking too much)
Either fish or cut bait. (work or make way for those who will)

Old 09-23-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
No, I don't. Your posts are non sequiturs and your arguments weak. You keep repeating the same thing in hopes that its repetition will substitute for compelling argument.

When presented with a correct argument, you reject it, but offer no proper rebuttal.

Your sentence above is no more insulting than mine. In the quest for communication, we aren't reaching each other.

Further, you called me a Liberal, and when asked for proof of that score, you dishonestly ran away. You're not a fair dealer.
No, I just recognize when the argument has no merit. There is a big difference in the two. I don't continue debating when it isn't worth it...and the fact that you actually believe that YOUR argument is correct just drives that point home even further. Some people just can't discuss things because they are so sure their side is the correct side. It's actually quite funny.

An insulting comment and a personal attack are not the same thing. We'll see what comes of it.

Anyway, the topic is "How conservative is middle-class Decatur?"...not "Why it's scary to be asked about my religion?" It would be nice to get back on topic.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
'Church Lady'/SNL?

Old 09-23-2010, 01:12 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Okay, gotcha. I have known people who would be prone to ask that type of question, and they have never seemed to be anyone who would be trying to use the information against another person. I guess that is where my reply came from...it just doesn't seem like a question that should generate any paranoia, but you can't really tell someone what they should be paranoid about I guess.
You seem to think that I assume that the information would be used against me, and that I'm paranoid. That's wrong. I'm asking the question with no assumption as to what the answer might be.

By the way, the "you're paranoid" followed by a smiley face is a nice, condescending touch.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
You seem to think that I assume that the information would be used against me, and that I'm paranoid. That's wrong. I'm asking the question with no assumption as to what the answer might be.

By the way, the "you're paranoid" followed by a smiley face is a nice, condescending touch.
I was telling you that I understand and that I shouldn't have answered your question - because I'm not one that would ever ask anyone about his/her religion. I'm sorry, I should have stated it more clearly...I didn't mean to offend you.

I never accused you of being paranoid, but just that I can't decide what you should and shouldn't be paranoid about. My thinking is that most people who consider this an offensive question must be a little paranoid, but I didn't see where you actually stated that you consider it offensive - you just asked about the type of people who do this.

It was a light-hearted comment in a seemingly very heavy discussion. I was just trying to liven it up a bit. My bad.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:27 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
I was telling you that I understand and that I shouldn't have answered your question - because I'm not one that would ever ask anyone about his/her religion. I'm sorry, I should have stated it more clearly...I didn't mean to offend you.

I never accused you of being paranoid, but just that I can't decide what you should and shouldn't be paranoid about. My thinking is that most people who consider this an offensive question must be a little paranoid, but I didn't see where you actually stated that you consider it offensive - you just asked about the type of people who do this.

It was a light-hearted comment in a seemingly very heavy discussion. I was just trying to liven it up a bit. My bad.
I apologize for misunderstanding. I'm really only asking out of curiosity. I don't mean it in a heavy way, although I can see how it might be interpreted that way.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I apologize for misunderstanding. I'm really only asking out of curiosity. I don't mean it in a heavy way, although I can see how it might be interpreted that way.
I apologize as well...thanks for understanding. This thread has been highjacked into something that I don't think it was intended to be, but that's not uncommon on this site!

Last edited by DeaconJ; 09-23-2010 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
I apologize as well...thanks for understanding. This thread has been highjacked into something that I don't think it was intended to be, but that's no uncommon on this site!
I think it is a timely discussion. Beliefs/religion are a part of life--the thread might have been moved to Religion but that wouldn't help someone considering relocation to Atlanta.

Candler School of Theology has affected life in the ATL. I am grateful for that myself.

'Open minded'--it's a good thing.

lol--My mother's family is from Norcross--several generations--so I am all too familiar with the effort that has gone into the transformation of beliefs in the past half century. Many of my relatives think Atlanta is a place they could/would never live--battles have been waged over every issue making family gatherings interesting.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:15 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
y tactic, is a horrible breach of manners.

As for that "moderate" business, the Texas schoolbook controversy says the Protestants are anything but moderate. The creationist kooks in Kansas also tell me a lot. Blue laws tell me more. Two centuries of racism, lynchings, slavery and segregation in the South, all backed by churchgoers and God's will, tell me just about all I need to know about the moderate quality of Southern Protestants.
Gotta disagree with you here re: Protestants.

I'm Protestant (Methodist) and I grew up Episcopalian. Ever heard of Rt. Rev. Gene Robinson? He's a gay bishop in the Episcopalian faith and I'm okay with it. Oh--and in my church? There are six pastors on staff, and four are women. I'm okay with that too--the pastor that married my hubby and I is a woman, and the one baptizing my son this weekend is a woman.

My point: Can't paint us all with a wide brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta