Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 07:17 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,138 times

Advertisements

Back on topic-the word conservative is so far out of my mind when I venture into Decatur. I don't even think the words conservative and Decatur should be in the same sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 07:22 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post
Back on topic-the word conservative is so far out of my mind when I venture into Decatur. I don't even think the words conservative and Decatur should be in the same sentence
True, but really it's gasp--a brand of Christianity, if I may use the term without starting a maelstrom of discussion. Having 'been around' for many decades and known the history of Decatur/DeKalb county I can't quite say 'Liberal'--Progressive seems a bit more appropriate.

During the 50's and 60's Decatur was very WASPish in a way that would not be tolerated today. And prior to that--um--those who are familiar with 'GWTW' --there would have been some citizens that donned sheets. It's true--it happened.
http://louisianapublicrecordsearch.org/56/ku-klux-klan/
'Samuel T. Gladding, a counselor and humanitarian, was exposed to the Klan as a child in Decatur Georgia where he grew up. Since the Klan rally that he witnessed, with “people in hoods, Confederate battle flags, and the screaming of words that were offensive” (Gladding, 1999, p. 182), Gladding has been working to fight inequality and the “faceless” nature of the Klan racism.'
Decatur was in decline during the late 60's and early 70's and obviously a few people decided--'We can do better than this' and so they did.

shrug--I live north of Decatur in a suburb--pretty much the same without the historic, homes and the town center--we just live. Openmindedly. I really cannot tell you what my neighbors believe beyond respect for privacy, courtesy and generic good will. Lots of Emory and CDC people here--they go to work, take care of their homes and live their lives. There are all kinds of beliefs being held I am certain of that.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 09-23-2010 at 08:33 PM..

Old 12-22-2010, 08:44 PM

262 posts, read 637,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Quick question(s):

If you're a person who would ask others where they go to church, why do you want to know that information, and what do you intend to do with the information?
I'm not sure if this question is directed at me. I have probably asked somebody where they went to church before, but not in the first sentence or anything (who does that?) and usually after they mention in passing that they attend services somewhere. As pointed out above, in some cases it's a form of small talk, getting to know the person. Also, sometimes I'm just curious if the person goes to a church that I've visited before or one where I know someone who attends, in case we know someone in common.

Atlanta (and Decatur--I've lived outside of Decatur for 5.5 years) is actually a really exciting city with a lot to offer for people of faith. I have experienced a good deal of spiritual growth since moving here and learning that the bounds of Christianity were not nearly as narrow as I once thought.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:52 AM

470 posts, read 1,277,861 times
Not to resurrect this thread but My family and I are moving to decatur for the schools. We come from a conservative background but we are very open minded. My question is and I dont know the right way to say it but is everyone extreme left? Meaning will I see tree hugging going on every corner? I will be living off of sycamore dr.. and I dont mean to make light of it but i just want to know if we will fit in. We are just 2 normal people - we both work downtown and we have 2 kids. again, we are moving there because of the schools so I just want to be sure that we will get along with everyone. sorry for the wierd quesiton...

Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
Not to resurrect this thread but My family and I are moving to decatur for the schools. We come from a conservative background but we are very open minded. My question is and I dont know the right way to say it but is everyone extreme left? Meaning will I see tree hugging going on every corner? I will be living off of sycamore dr.. and I dont mean to make light of it but i just want to know if we will fit in. We are just 2 normal people - we both work downtown and we have 2 kids. again, we are moving there because of the schools so I just want to be sure that we will get along with everyone. sorry for the wierd quesiton...
I would say that since you will be living among well-educated and civilized people that you will be fine.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:19 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
Absolutely not.

There's a Decatur blog I read regularly. Out of the people who comment frequently on that website, several claim to be fiscal conservatives.

I would think social conservatism is less common than fiscal conservatism in Decatur.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 6,577 times
Decatur is a liberal town, but not overwhelmingly or annoyingly so. And it is becoming less liberal as conservatives from North Atlanta/outside the Perimeter move there. When we bought a few blocks from Decatur Square, our neighbors on both sides were conservative/libertarian, with a half dozen others within a few blocks. This spared us from having to live within sight distance of the Obama Whatever, "War is Not the Answer," "Stop Walmart," etc., PERMANENT yard signs. And the liberals are actually awesome to live around and watch. They discovered patriotism en masse in November of '08 when the neighborhood was suddenly flooded with American flags. And when the idea of making the neighborhood a Historic District was floated, all the silver ponytail radicals suddenly became rabidly protective of their property values and killed it. They are very preoccupied with real estate investment, often turning their houses into unsightly, out of place infill mansions. They will rally to save trees which are probably dying. They coddle their children but won't send them to private schools.

Whether you are liberal, conservative, libertarian, etc., Decatur is a great place to live. It has a great small town feel. It has some of the best restaurants and bars in Georgia and the Southeast. Just avoid politics or religion and you will get along with your neighbors just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta