Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 06:20 PM

19 posts, read 184,301 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, my wife and the three kids we have remaining at home, are moving to possibly Marietta next year. My wife's cousin lives in an affluent part of Atlanta and suggested that Marietta was a good place to live, based on our budget. He's been encouraging us to come and live in the atlanta area for several years.

We live in north-east central Phoenix and have easy walking access to bars, restaurants and an AMC and a designer fashion mall. It's a little further, about a mile from our house to two shopping malls including a Kroger (Fry's in AZ). In fact, in any direction we go, within about a mile radius we have everything, schools, churches, doctors, dentists, banks, post office, hard ware etc etc. Several hospitals are within a 3-4 mile radius.

Our neighborhood has sidewalks and these are mostly standard throughout Phoenix. The crime rate is low. We had a couple of bicycles stolen about 6 years ago but nothing before that and nothing since. The bars etc are friendly places and I have never seen any trouble.

My wife is a city girl at heart. She likes the buzz of people out and about and cars etc etc and visible neighbors. She likes to walk out of the house and take a stroll around the local stores and feel like there is people and life around her.

From what I can see of Marietta there does appear to be sidewalks and I guess so long as you live near to the square then there is a town feel. What I have also uncovered is the disparity between performing schools, demographics and home values. It does appear that there is a correlation in Cobb county between the most successful schools having higher percentages of whites and correspondingly higher area home values. Unfortunately, the High Schools in the city of Marietta are not amongst the highest performing. However, although there is a black majority in Marietta High School this school does appear to be up and coming and shines as the best of the rest. A testament to good education no doubt in this school.

As far as crime goes, there were no red flags with Marietta vs where we live.

So should we gamble seeking a home in the city of Marietta, for my wife's benefit or should we cross the 1-75 and look for homes near High Schools that demonstrate that they are performing well? Likelihood is though that homes in these areas are probably going to be out of our price range? Plus they are likely to be in less citified areas without sidewalks and not really to my wife's liking.

I'd be grateful for any advice that you can give us. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 06:37 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
Perhaps you should also consider Roswell?
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...t-suburbs.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-marietta.html

Roswell
City of Roswell, GA - Official Website
http://www.roswellgov.com/
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...hborhoods.html

Roswell Mills
Roswell Mills were some of the most prosperous in Georgia and important to the Civil War efforts of the South. Four Hundred, mostly women and children, mill workers were charged with treason and deported to the north.
http://www.visitroswellga.com/roswell-mills.html
~~~~~~~~~~
Roswell, GA history, tourism, official government bureaus, hotels and real estate
Roswell is ranked among the safest cities to live in the United States according to City Crime Rankings, and it was chosen twice by Atlanta Magazine as the best place to live in the Atlanta Metropolitan Area. Roswell was also presented with the City of Excellence Award by the Georgia Municipal Association. Roswell’s beautiful natural scenery, its excellent public school system, a thriving job market and Roswell’s upscale shopping centers all combine to create a high standard of living that has caused property values to steadily increase.
~~~~~~~

'Roswell has great parks with lots of trails including a system along the river and a wonderful recreation department with many different classes for athletes, artists, kids, seniors. Canton Street was named by Southern Living magazine as one of the best restaurant streets in the South. The schools are good and there are a variety of neighborhoods at many price points.'

'While Roswell does have a charming downtown area (two actually: the original Square and the Canton Street District) with restaurants, shopping, markets, and galleries, it really doesn't compare to Winter Park as far as layout. You won't find gridded neighborhoods full of historic housing. Roswell up until the 1970s was quite small and as a result most of the development has been suburban in nature: large lot, cul de sacs, lack of sidewalks. Thankfully, in the past few years the city has wisened up and built more sidewalks and made an effort to be pedestrian friendly, but it's not ideal. So unless you move into one of the more recent developments that have made an effort at fostering a pedestrian environment (usually townhomes or small lot single family homes, both quite expensive), you'll probably end up in a subdivision that may or may not be walking distance to Canton Street/the Square.'

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The OP said:
We live in north-east central Phoenix and have easy walking access to bars, restaurants and an AMC and a designer fashion mall. It's a little further, about a mile from our house to two shopping malls including a Kroger (Fry's in AZ). In fact, in any direction we go, within about a mile radius we have everything, schools, churches, doctors, dentists, banks, post office, hard ware etc etc. Several hospitals are within a 3-4 mile radius.

I honestly don't know that either Roswell or Marietta is comparable to your current neighborhood. There will be driving involved in either area to travel to a shopping center with grocery stores and other stores similar to those you named. Perhaps 2-5 miles.

The City of Decatur --across town from Marietta and Roswell is a closer match.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 09-29-2010 at 06:56 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,153 times
Where will either of you be working?

Old 09-30-2010, 06:14 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinM View Post
From what I can see of Marietta there does appear to be sidewalks and I guess so long as you live near to the square then there is a town feel. What I have also uncovered is the disparity between performing schools, demographics and home values. It does appear that there is a correlation in Cobb county between the most successful schools having higher percentages of whites and correspondingly higher area home values. Unfortunately, the High Schools in the city of Marietta are not amongst the highest performing. However, although there is a black majority in Marietta High School this school does appear to be up and coming and shines as the best of the rest. A testament to good education no doubt in this school.

As far as crime goes, there were no red flags with Marietta vs where we live.

So should we gamble seeking a home in the city of Marietta, for my wife's benefit or should we cross the 1-75 and look for homes near High Schools that demonstrate that they are performing well? Likelihood is though that homes in these areas are probably going to be out of our price range? Plus they are likely to be in less citified areas without sidewalks and not really to my wife's liking.
As you've probably seen when you did your search through the forum, there are old threads that describe that Marietta is both a city and a postal address for many residents in unicorporated Cobb County on the east side of the city (East Cobb) and on the westside of the city (West Cobb). Then you also have the actual City of Marietta within the city limits.

In many areas of Marietta you have sidewalks, and in some cases as much or more than many places closer to Atlanta, such as older parts of Dekalb County. It really depends, and Cobb County requires sidewalks and is also putting in sidewalks for new development and has for a while, and is adding them in many areas as part of retrofitting and road resurfacing. Now, there is a fundamental difference between a suburban area and a more urban area, but for someone to recommend Roswell or other suburb on the grounds that there are more sidewalks is probably not valid as a whole.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

In many areas of Marietta you have sidewalks, and in some cases as much or more than many places closer to Atlanta, such as older parts of Dekalb County. It really depends, and Cobb County requires sidewalks and is also putting in sidewalks for new development and has for a while, and is adding them in many areas as part of retrofitting and road resurfacing. Now, there is a fundamental difference between a suburban area and a more urban area, but for someone to recommend Roswell or other suburb on the grounds that there are more sidewalks is probably not valid as a whole.
Since you reference Roswell and I suggested Roswell--sidewalks were not the primary criteria for the recommendation. FWIW.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:27 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Since you reference Roswell and I suggested Roswell--sidewalks were not the primary criteria for the recommendation. FWIW.
Fair enough, and I would rate both as having many positive attributes and a good suburban quality of life.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:48 PM

439 posts, read 852,468 times
Sir, sincerely I dont know why your relative insists you move to Atlanta, Marietta, GA when you are so well established in Phoenix. I state that because I was living in Atlanta and just recently, since August moved to Arizona.
1) Weather: Atlanta is more of a temperate wheather and very humid. Sometimes so humid you can chew the air. The Winters are cold. The Summers unbearable.
2) Pollution: Atlanta air quality is poor. Mixed with humidity it makes it one of the worse air quality in the country. I will not even get to the pollen season.
3) Exercise, bike, runner, biker, unfriendly: MOST of Atlanta metro, to include Marietta are devoid of sidewalks, the places that do have them are very narrow. Sidewalks are not maintained, they are cracked and of poor quality. The reason they do that is to avoid squatters and bums from walking on the sidewalks. But you will notice they will walk alongside the highways, and Cobb Boulevard anyway... They do not have the AZ bike friendly roads and respect for runners. Atlanta is not a health, outdoorsy, exercise conscious city. Most of its population is overweight and obese.
4) You will not find a place or neighborhood where you can walk up to half of the ammenities you have in your neighborhood in Phoenix. You will drive everywhere. The affluent do not live nerby the buzz because they get mugged.
5) Crime. Atlanta, as well as Marietta, are targets for new home break ins and crime. Atlanta is a drug distribution hub that is growing rapidly. In AZ you have a strong government and fiscal policies that will deter such crimes, in Atlanta, not so much. I had my home in Atlanta broken in 3 times. After I armor-all my home and begged the APD to do their job the break ins stopped. They will steal more than bikes in Atlanta.
6) Education. It will be weaker than AZ no matter where you go unless you decide to pay for it. Public schools in Ga are garbage. My husband was born and raised in Marietta and most of his family, even with a college education: they cannot write to save their lives, still.
7) Employment: the pay is not comensurate with the so-called standard of living, they underpay qualified and under qualified employees, the unemployment rate is at 10.0% above the national average as of this month, furthermore they dont hire on merit they hire on the provincial concept of who you know and family members...
I can go on and on and on.

Perhaps because your relative is affluent as you put it he does not get the exposure to the realities of Atlanta, Marietta in GA. Perhaps you are affluent and does not have to concern yourself with these details. However, you did post here so that tells me you never stayed in Atlanta or Marietta long enough to make an unbiased assessment and comparison. I can attest to what I am saying because I did the opposite of what you are trying to do. Regardless of what a family member thinks is right for your family I would urge you to spend at least 2 weeks in the area, and honestly feel if you would be able to make a permanent move. I tried for 2 years and could not make it.

Good Luck.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 AM

461 posts, read 1,068,663 times
I will second city of Decatur, what is your price range for a home, and where will you be working?
Despite some of the other posters comments, there are walkable safe areas in Atlanta with good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta