Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 03:12 PM

21 posts, read 82,599 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to Atlanta and we need to find a good public school for our 4 year old high functioning autistic son. His Dr. recommended Montessori for our son but yikes it is so expensive and we're not even sure if they would even accept him there. We are currently looking Cobb and Fulton county but also heard great things about schools in Gwinnet country in regards to having a good special needs program. Our son currently only has an IEP for his speech delay because the district and school here in Texas are so slow at processing his paperwork. He is currently receiving private speech therapy, physical therapy and neurofeedback therapy through our insurance so we are looking into finding this in the Atlanta area as well.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 10:25 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,792 times
Once you leave the pre-school arena, you need a diagnosis that is appropriate for the IEP. Having the IEP and progress reports from his current providers will help them to understand his needs and insure the most proper placement.

All public school districts are suffering from budget cuts. Each school district will have elementary schools that provide the most appropriate services for your child so visit the schools in the areas you are considering moving to. Remember, IDEA provides Free Appropriate Public Education, not the very best that is available, so you may have to pay out of pocket if you want the very best.

We moved with a high schooler with autism as well as other learning disabilities and have generally been happy with Roswell High School. But, every child is different so what is a great school for one may not be the best fit for another. Google "Wright's Law" for one of the best parent resources.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Once you leave the pre-school arena, you need a diagnosis that is appropriate for the IEP. Having the IEP and progress reports from his current providers will help them to understand his needs and insure the most proper placement.

All public school districts are suffering from budget cuts. Each school district will have elementary schools that provide the most appropriate services for your child so visit the schools in the areas you are considering moving to. Remember, IDEA provides Free Appropriate Public Education, not the very best that is available, so you may have to pay out of pocket if you want the very best.

We moved with a high schooler with autism as well as other learning disabilities and have generally been happy with Roswell High School. But, every child is different so what is a great school for one may not be the best fit for another. Google "Wright's Law" for one of the best parent resources.
He does have an official diagnosis for his autism although the school here in TX failed to do anything with it. I would have send him to a private Catholic school here but that was before we got notice of having to relocate during the school year which he got accepted into earlier this year before we got the official ASD diagnosis.

He is only 4 and I just pulled him out of public school because they refused to do anything with his teacher. A week after I pulled him out, the teacher got fired but there is no use in re-enrolling him again because we are so close to moving.

Are there private schools that accept high functioning autistic children?
I was also looking into Roswell North Elementary that had decent ratings, although I am curious on how the special education is within that school.

I just need him to be at a school with good teachers who are willing to try to get to know him. Ideally he would do really well with a one on one para professional that sits with him during class to help him stay on task. In regular PK here he didn't do well because he was able to do most of the curriculum already and the teacher refused to have him do more challenging work because she felt she couldn't treat him like that while the rest of the students are working according to the school curriculum.

While I am writing this, I am realizing that perhaps a Montessori environment would be a better fit for his needs.

ETA: Does anyone know of good preschools/day care in the area. I would like to put my youngest son (2 years old) in a program for 2 days a week because he needs that social interaction.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:51 PM

It does not sound like he would be given a one-on-one teaching assistant (aid).
Private schools do not (usually) have speech, OT, PT resources but you can get that outside of school at your own expense.
Visiting the schools is the best way to get a feel of what they offer in order to determine the best fit for your child.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Private schools do not (usually) have speech, OT, PT resources but you can get that outside of school at your own expense.
Visiting the schools is the best way to get a feel of what they offer in order to determine the best fit for your child.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
I have no idea what public education would offer him besides maybe speech therapy. Right now he is receiving private speech therapy, neurofeedback and physical therapy through our insurance. Before I pulled him out of school he was receiving speech therapy 4 times a week and that is included with the therapy offered at school.

I understand that he would not be given an aid at a private school which is why we think he may do well without it if he would try a Montessori school (although we are not sure if it would be a good fit, his Dr. suggested it) or just at a small private school since he seems to be fine when there is not so much going on around him. We are somewhat new to the whole autism diagnosis and etc. so we are trying to figure out what is best and where to choose the right (public) school for him.

He got accepted into private Catholic school for PK and he would receive speech across the street at a public school through the district according to his IEP. But this is in Texas. I am not sure how it would work in GA and I know they don't always do it here in Texas unless the private school is willing to work with these students. One of his teachers would walk him across the street for speech therapy and the speech therapist would walk him back to Catholic school. But, this was in the planning before my husband got word that he would be working in the Atlanta area so we didn't bother putting him there because uniform expenses and such for not even a semester long.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 10,209 times
One of the best public schools for children with special learning needs is
Coralwood School
2477 Coralwood Drive
Decatur, Georgia 30033-1323
678-874-6002
They have a great inclusion program. I think it is for pre-k and K. It would be a great school to become part of if you are new to Atlanta. There are also many small private special needs schools that might fit your child's needs - check out www.thespecialguide.com which has an extensive resource list.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:40 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
These people are in Roswell. You might contact them for further information.

Jacob's Ladder Center - Autism, PDD, ADD/ADHD, Asperger’s, Down Syndrome Neurodevelopment Center (http://www.jacobsladdercenter.com/index.asp - broken link)

Old 11-04-2010, 06:08 PM

20 posts, read 101,255 times
Whatever school system you choose, the public school has to follow his current IEP for 30 days until they can evaluate him and decide if that is what he needs. At that time, an IEP meeting will be scheduled with you and you will all determine where best he will fit. The goal is the least restrictive environment. If he cannot get through the day in the classroom or if he is having trouble, most schools have a resource room where he will go for any academic/social etc. help he may need...Good luck..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: