Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:08 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,424,581 times

Advertisements

I would have to think the cluster F of the airport won't be the same at a HSR station (one can dream). Given that, your options aren't the same.

I think a train would always win to Charlotte. Plane, 5 hrs door to door. Hopefully a train would be equal or less than for 1/2 the price. Car on the other hand wins out with 3.5hrs and hopefully 1/2 the price of the train.

If you're talking about 5-6 hour drives, I think the train will start winning out. Faster car and plane, cheaper than plane, win. If I can do Raleigh in 4hrs on HSR, for $100 ....I'm in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 06:20 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,768,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I would have to think the cluster F of the airport won't be the same at a HSR station (one can dream).
Thanks for your comment! You made me think of something. I travel overseas a lot for work. I am an international contractor for a specific narrow function in one industry. This has allowed me to experience transportation in many different ways.

One thing I wanted to spot out to anyone who hasn't traveled around as much is that, like other posters have stated, HSR tries to go right to the center of town and connect with subways and LRT, so you don't need an expensive cab and you can get to your final destination/office meeting in 10 minutes from stepping off the train.

However, to explain further, because a train never leaves the tracks and there is less concern of someone hijacking a train and taking it off course, security is nothing like it is at the airports. You can buy a ticket ahead of time or at the station. You just walk straight to the platform no more than 5-10 minutes before a train arrives. To transfer trains it only takes a few minutes, so it is nothing like the crowds of an airport.

By default train travel saves about 2.5 hours despite it traveling slower than planes. That is why it is better for traveling moderate distances (500 miles or less). Most people won't travel as far as NY or Chicago, except for nostalgia reasons. You don't have to walk as far to transfer and few, if any people go to the station 2 hours early to wait around. One of the biggest benefits of rail travel in saving time is removing the extra time to travel to airports on the edge of town and getting there 2 hours early to check-in and go through security.

On most trains they check the ticket on the train and you are fined if you don't have a ticket.

When a train pulls into a major stop. It only is there for a few minutes and then it moves on.

You don't have to check luggage. In fact most travelers travel light and take on their luggage with them. You don't have to worry about strict limitations of carry on size.

Put in short....
Stations are much smaller than airports, handle many travelers, but it is less crowded than an airport, since people don't have to wait around as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta