Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:48 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times

Advertisements

Does the GOP know that if this bill passes that all the conventions in Atlanta will go away and that half Georgia’s economy depends on the labor of immigrants?

Are they just saying this to get votes? Are they serious? I'm not saying that the law isn't needed but it will do more harm than good in Ga.

Georgia seeks Arizona-like immigration law *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 06:51 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Does the GOP know that if this bill passes that all the conventions in Atlanta will go away and that half Georgia’s economy depends on the labor of immigrants?

Are they just saying this to get votes? Are they serious? I'm not saying that the law isn't needed but it will do more harm than good in Ga.

Georgia seeks Arizona-like immigration law *| ajc.com
Sometimes doing what is right should supercede any potential negative repurcussions. This is one example of that. Also keep in mind that alot of states are looking at doing the exact same thing so this isnt something that is just unique to Georgia. With a vast majority of Citizens in this country demanding that something be done in regards to illegals this will not be an isolated action but more like a snowball rolling down hill as more states do the exact same thing.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:26 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
In today's culture and political climate, where the majority of the public and politicians apparently believe that the less you know, the better you are equipped to solve complex issues, this may really be the only way to get to any kind of common understanding of the facts and issues around illegal immigration.

It would be very tough on the illegal immigrants already among us, of course, but if the state brought in draconian laws and effectively marched them all to the border, well, it would become plain enough whether or not they were important to the state economy, wouldn't it?

At the moment, the anti-illegal majority opinion is that those people are just a bunch of freeloaders stealing our tax dollars, and the businesses who employ all those folks are silently practicing mass hypocrisy. (I appreciate that the employers haven't much choice, individually.) So, let's march off the illegals and find out what happens to the business that are employing them. Maybe we'd devastate agriculture, chicken processing, carpet manufacturing, etc., but it's pretty clear that's what the voters and politicians want. Let's give them what they're pleading for, and see how they like it.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
In today's culture and political climate, where the majority of the public and politicians apparently believe that the less you know, the better you are equipped to solve complex issues, this may really be the only way to get to any kind of common understanding of the facts and issues around illegal immigration.

It would be very tough on the illegal immigrants already among us, of course, but if the state brought in draconian laws and effectively marched them all to the border, well, it would become plain enough whether or not they were important to the state economy, wouldn't it?

At the moment, the anti-illegal majority opinion is that those people are just a bunch of freeloaders stealing our tax dollars, and the businesses who employ all those folks are silently practicing mass hypocrisy. (I appreciate that the employers haven't much choice, individually.) So, let's march off the illegals and find out what happens to the business that are employing them. Maybe we'd devastate agriculture, chicken processing, carpet manufacturing, etc., but it's pretty clear that's what the voters and politicians want. Let's give them what they're pleading for, and see how they like it.
HALF the states in the Union are considering this approach. Bottomline is that people are FED UP with the selective policies in regards to immigration. Either you enforce ALL laws are you enforce NONE. Can't have it both ways.

Report: 25 states considering Arizona-style immigration laws | The Upshot Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101028/us_yblog_upshot/report-25-states-are-considering-arizona-style-immigration-laws - broken link)

Old 10-29-2010, 08:20 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Either you enforce ALL laws are you enforce NONE. Can't have it both ways.
Of course you can. In fact, that is exactly what we DO have.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Of course you can. In fact, that is exactly what we DO have.
and you answered the question as to why 25 states are considering an AZ style immigration law.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:49 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
and you answered the question as to why 25 states are considering an AZ style immigration law.
No matter what, there'll always be laws that go unenforced.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
No matter what, there'll always be laws that go unenforced.
I agree but they shouldnt be celebrated or used as political fodder.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:25 AM

349 posts, read 781,307 times
I don't see what the big deal is. I wouldn't expect to be able to move to say England or France without first going through the appropriate channels to do so legally. If I decided to ignore their laws and move anyways I would fully expect to be sent back to the US if I got caught. Who cares if I picked apples for next to nothing while I was there which in turn made their apples cheaper. They will just have to pay fair market value for their apples when I get sent back. I know the issue is more complex than that but I'm "just sayin".

Old 10-29-2010, 09:46 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
Who cares if I picked apples for next to nothing while I was there which in turn made their apples cheaper.
The person who hired you to pick the apples cares. And the people who buy those apples care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: