Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 12:56 AM

5 posts, read 19,422 times

Advertisements

I am relocating within a few weeks down to the area and just wanted to know which one is better. I will be working in Decatur off Clairmont Dr which I know is a commute of about 20-30 mins. These are my only two options at this point on where I can rent from being that I will have to transfer my apartment. So I would like to hear which is better Norcross or Duluth. Please help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 05:00 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktotheSouth View Post
I am relocating within a few weeks down to the area and just wanted to know which one is better. I will be working in Decatur off Clairmont Dr which I know is a commute of about 20-30 mins. These are my only two options at this point on where I can rent from being that I will have to transfer my apartment. So I would like to hear which is better Norcross or Duluth. Please help?
Norcross is about 10 miles from Decatur/Clairmont Rd. I wonder where you will be working in this area. Clairmont Rd runs from the Chamblee area into the city limits of Decatur. The VA hospital is perhaps midway.

The Norcross area includes some sketchy parts. Apartments that are located near Jimmy Carter Blvd/Buford Hwy and Beaver Ruin Rd, which extends into the Lilburn area would more than likely not be very safe.
The property in Duluth then might be a better choice but there are parts of Duluth that also have significant crime stats.

I suggest you provide the name of the complexes you are considering. Posters might have specific knowledge that would assist you. If neither of the two options are suitable I would then address this issue with the property owner. It would be better to lose $ upfront than face loss of property or personal safety. jmo.

There are a number of apartments which would be safer in the North Decatur area. ProMove apartment locator service has helped many others find appropriate housing.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:38 AM

Thanks TakeAhike,

Actually the name of the properties are the Berkshires of Medlock Bridge or Berkshires of Howell Station. Coming from Baltimore, so the crime rate compared to that of here would be nothing....lol. Crime is everywhere!

Old 10-30-2010, 05:53 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktotheSouth View Post
Thanks TakeAhike,

Actually the name of the properties are the Berkshires of Medlock Bridge or Berkshires of Howell Station. Coming from Baltimore, so the crime rate compared to that of here would be nothing....lol. Crime is everywhere!
Crime may be 'everywhere' but why place yourself in its way if you don't have to?
The area around Buford Highway/Jimmy Carter Blvd is transitional and receives exceptionally high ratings for many types of crime. Those of us who live here and know this wouldn't willingly sign a lease in that sort of environment.

I consulted Google--and neither property received great scores according to the apartment rating sites I clicked--1 for each. This isn't too unusual as many who post reviews seem to be the disgruntled tenants.

Medlock Bridge Rd is a generally safe area. I'm not certain where the apartments would be located on Medlock Bridge. The Howell Station complex's address was Peachtree Industrial --which should only be a few miles from Medlock Bridge Rd. Norcross/Duluth postal designations might not make that much difference. You would travel about 6 miles south on Peachtree Industrial to intersect with Clairmont Rd and then another 5/10 miles to reach your place of employment--contingent on how close it is to the city limits of Decatur. There should be steady traffic AM/PM but it seemingly wouldn't be a bad commute from either property.

Howell Station
http://www.berkshireapartments.com/realpage/realpage.aspx?prpURL=howellstationHowell (broken link) Station

Medlock Bridge
http://www.berkshireapartments.com/realpage/realpage.aspx?prpURL=medlockbridge (broken link)

Google Map which you should be able to adjust to determine the distance between the two properties--they can't be too far apart>>>
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rl...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Last edited by TakeAhike; 10-30-2010 at 06:14 AM..

Old 10-30-2010, 07:32 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Actually, I noticed that the company also has an apartment community in the Lenox Park area of Buckhead...much closer to Clairmont Road and a great location within the city IMO.

Berkshire (http://www.berkshireapartments.com/realpage/realpage.aspx?prpURL=theberkshiresatlenoxpark - broken link)

Old 10-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Actually, I noticed that the company also has an apartment community in the Lenox Park area of Buckhead...much closer to Clairmont Road and a great location within the city IMO.

Berkshire (http://www.berkshireapartments.com/realpage/realpage.aspx?prpURL=theberkshiresatlenoxpark - broken link)

Yes I saw that, I called them today, I don't think I can afford that at this time. But that would be so much better for me.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Crime may be 'everywhere' but why place yourself in its way if you don't have to?
The area around Buford Highway/Jimmy Carter Blvd is transitional and receives exceptionally high ratings for many types of crime. Those of us who live here and know this wouldn't willingly sign a lease in that sort of environment.

I consulted Google--and neither property received great scores according to the apartment rating sites I clicked--1 for each. This isn't too unusual as many who post reviews seem to be the disgruntled tenants.

Medlock Bridge Rd is a generally safe area. I'm not certain where the apartments would be located on Medlock Bridge. The Howell Station complex's address was Peachtree Industrial --which should only be a few miles from Medlock Bridge Rd. Norcross/Duluth postal designations might not make that much difference. You would travel about 6 miles south on Peachtree Industrial to intersect with Clairmont Rd and then another 5/10 miles to reach your place of employment--contingent on how close it is to the city limits of Decatur. There should be steady traffic AM/PM but it seemingly wouldn't be a bad commute from either property.

Howell Station
Berkshire (http://www.berkshireapartments.com/realpage/realpage.aspx?prpURL=howellstationHowell - broken link) Station

Medlock Bridge
Berkshire (http://www.berkshireapartments.com/realpage/realpage.aspx?prpURL=medlockbridge - broken link)

Google Map which you should be able to adjust to determine the distance between the two properties--they can't be too far apart>>>
berkshires on medlock bridge - Google Maps

Thank you so much TakeAhike! You are right and after researching both properties it doesn't seem to bad. Thank you for your research and input in helping me out! I can't wait to get back to the south!

Old 12-01-2011, 06:52 PM

13 posts, read 24,206 times
Norcross is MUCH better than Duluth. Not even close.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:25 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
The Berkshire at Lenox Park has a huge black mold problem. Always has, always will.

But everywhere else in Lenox Park is great, just expensive.

No way I would agree that Norcross is much better than Duluth...they are considerably different, and depend heavily on what you are looking for and value. You can't make a blanket statement like that. It's not like saying Buckhead is MUCH better than Jonesboro, which would be true in every measurable way. Norcross is better than Duluth in some measurable ways, Duluth better in others....just depends what you are looking for.

They're both decently far away from Clairmont in Decatur. I'd look at some communties off Briarcliff and North Druid Hills if I were you. Then I'd expand my search to Chamblee before coming out to Norcross OR Duluth.

But that's irrelevant, because I'm sure the OP has already moved somewhere and probably moved twice since then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta