Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:13 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceddm0001 View Post
I always thought all those parking lots around turner field would make a great park and lake. Very centrally located. Just have to deal with the interstate some how.
And the City of Atlanta and Braves fans and Georgia State U. The City makes money off those lots and you want to kill Braves attendance? Georgia State students get to park there for free when there's not a game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 11:24 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Also it's on a hill. Unless there's a line item in this proposal to suspend the laws of physics, which would probably be studied in action committees for three years before the city makes a determination that it's unfeasible to do so.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:29 PM

20 posts, read 49,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
And the City of Atlanta and Braves fans and Georgia State U. The City makes money off those lots and you want to kill Braves attendance? Georgia State students get to park there for free when there's not a game.

They dont park for free. The university purchases those spots with student fees... but you bring up a good point though. I was thinking they can build some parking decks or something. Engineer I am not, so I don't understand the particulars about the site, but I still think its a great centrally located spot.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:12 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I vaguely remember a plan to flood the area where the Atlanta Civic Center is located. Whatever happened to that?

Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
There aren't any unique, natural, and beautiful features in the city proper...
Trees
Dense Urban Forest
Tree Canopy
City in a Forest
City of Trees
Rolling, Lush Green Hills

Old 11-04-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Like what?

//www.city-data.com/forum/16532619-post35.html

Old 11-04-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
This is not the first time I've heard talk of proposing a Peachtree Creek 'Riverwalk'; it's a fascinating idea. The South Fork in particular skirts some interesting areas: The Medlock-Mason Mill PATH trail, Emory campus (it forms Lake Candler on the grounds of the President's estate, Lullwater), then on to Cheshire Bridge Rd. beyond which it meets up with the North Fork which flows on to south Buckhead and the Chattahoochee.
Right on, Sister LD.

I imagine the South Fork staying natural (with nature trail walk) from its source until just before Cheshire Bridge. The North Fork would stay natural until it starts paralleling Buford Highway.

From those points, the creek is already fairly urbanized. The corridors can be made (with "flood control/Riverwalk" parameters) into different districts known as "valleys" that offer bars, restaurants, clubs, pubs, cafes, shops, etc.

The "valleys":

Buford Valley or North Fork Valley (Latino/Asian)
Cheshire Valley (Gay)
Armour Valley (Country Soul/Southern Fusion)
Peachtree Valley (Country Soul/Southern Fusion)

After Peachtree Valley, the creek would return to a more natural state as it flows past the Atlanta Memorial Park area and through South Buckhead neighborhoods and then on to the Chattahoochee and Standing Peachtree Park.

The flood control/Riverwalk would aid areas closer to the creek's mouth that flood very often.

Last edited by aries4118; 11-04-2010 at 07:58 PM..

Old 11-04-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
What exactly do these flood control elements entail? Are they basically mini-reservoirs?

San Antonio River Walk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Antonio River Walk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Antelope Valley Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-04-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I vaguely remember a plan to flood the area where the Atlanta Civic Center is located. Whatever happened to that?
Flooding the area probably wouldn't be wise now--however, several areas near Downtown/Midtown are former bottoms/wetlands/creek corridors. It would be a good idea of potentially restoring them somewhat.

In particular--

1. Parts of East Campus Georgia Tech/Peter's Park/Techwood
2. Ponce De Leon Springs
3. Buttermilk Bottom

There use to be more info on this, but here's a snapshot:

City in the Forest: Atlanta 2108

Last edited by aries4118; 11-04-2010 at 08:00 PM..

Old 11-04-2010, 07:55 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Right on, Sister LD.

I imagine the South Fork staying natural (with nature trail walk) from its source until just before Cheshire Bridge. The North Fork would stay natural until it starts paralleling Buford Highway.

From those points, the creek is already fairly urbanized. The corridors can be made (with "flood control/Riverwalk" parameters) into different districts known as "valleys" that offer bars, restaurants, clubs, pubs, cafes, shops, etc.

The "valleys":

Buford Valley (Latino/Asian)
Cheshire Valley (Gay)
Armour Valley (Country Soul/Southern Fusion)
Peachree Valley (Country Soul/Southern Fusion)

After Peachtree Valley, the creek would return to a more a natural state as it flows past the Atlanta Memorial Park area and through South Buckhead neighborhoods and then on to the Chattahoochee and Standing Peachtree Park.

The flood control/Riverwalk would aid areas closer to the creek's mouth that flood very often.
What an absolutely fantastic, forward thinking idea! I LOVE this proposal.

aries4118 for our first Consolidated Metro Mayor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta