Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 07:26 PM

40 posts, read 168,283 times

Advertisements

We've decided to move to Alpharetta and are deciding between 2 houses. One is east of 400 and one is to the west. From our very brief visit, I get the feeling that the west side has more to do, and strikes me as having a more community feel. The east side seems to have newer homes, but mainly big box stores, not much to do, but good shopping. Just wondering if I could get some input on where everyone lives, and how you like it.
FYI, we have an eight month old daughter and two dogs. We're looking for a family friendly area, with activities suitable for a young child. Any and all comments are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 10:14 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
You've done well at differentiating between the two areas. If you don't have to worry about access to a job, then yes, west of 400 will be where you find most of the community functions. Wills Park is the site for most of the festivals, sports, concerts, etc. There is also a farmers' market in the same area. But, east or west, you will have decent access to most town activities. Go with the house you like best.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:59 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
Lots of big box stores, strip malls on west side, too with some good shopping (just no big mall). Harry's Whole Foods is also there. There is also, a short drive down the road, the new Roswell movie theater and mini-golf complex.

The west side neighbors Milton, which is very "country," but more like Greenwich than Mayberry. Pretty with lots of horse farms, a Christmas tree farm, the Crabapple neighborhood.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:47 PM

40 posts, read 113,863 times
We recently moved to Milton (west of 400) and are very happy with our decision. We also looked on the east side, but loved the larger lots and more open feel in Milton. Good luck with your move!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Alpharetta has many similarities to Roswell- both of the city "centers" are west of 400. And I believe the majority of businesses are located on the westside (I think most "big box" stores are west of 400 also). The eastside tends to be more residential.
West side of Alpharetta proper (not Milton) has much older homes as compared to the eastside. The largest single development that encompasses a vast majority of east Alpharetta is Windward.
North Point Mall is in Alpharetta- but is actually closer to Roswell.
A crude map of east Alpharetta would be anything north of Mansell Rd., east of 400, west of Jones Bridge Rd., and south of McGinnis Ferry Rd.

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 11-01-2010 at 10:09 AM..

Old 11-01-2010, 09:26 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
the new Roswell movie theater and mini-golf complex.
You mean the Aurora Cineplex? That's the renovated Startime complex -- not really "new".

Old 11-01-2010, 11:59 AM

878 posts, read 2,736,393 times
Where is the farmers market?

Old 11-01-2010, 02:39 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
There are a few different farmers markets in the area. There is one in downtown Alpharetta, across from the municipal building, another at Wills Park, and a 3rd in the Crabapple complex. I don't know if any of them are still being held this late in the year. There is a farmers market store at Birmingham and Birmingham.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:25 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Default Go West Young Man!

When I came back in 1997 to Alpharetta, I moved to the East side. There isn't a week goes by that I wish I had moved to the West. To be fair, both are very nice overall relative to all of the choices one could make but, for me, the more open, the better.

I'm sure over time the West side will take on a more densely populated feel much like what happened on the East side. It just happened here first based on the North Point Mall development.

Shopping is moot as you have full, relatively unecumbered access to all. Besides, it's not like you are going to have to pack a suitcase or lunch before you leave the West to get to the mall anyway.....if you do, try one of the soon-to-be-defunct restaurants that are over here. The restaurant owners will be thrilled and who knows, your purchase might buy them another week or two.

All joking aside, both are nice. Pick the one with the best feel. Just make sure you are not too close to any of the 4 major arteries (Windward, Old Milton, Haynes, and Mansell) as you might see/feel the growth. If you want a steal, go out in the country a bit on 372. There are mega boxes for sale/in foreclosure and homes that USED to fetch 800-1.2 are now going for 400-600.....NOT kidding.

Good luck,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta