Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:49 AM

4 posts, read 9,575 times

Advertisements

We are looking for:

1. $1000 or less
2. House/Renting
3. Commute to Norcross
4. 4 Children/Homeschooled
5. Urban but realize the possibilities
6. Public Transportation not important.
7. Safe, Safe, Safe as possible.
8. Looking in Alpharetta, Duluth, Suwanee, Buford, Cumming, and Sugar Hill.

We are suppose to be in Atlanta by Dec 6th. We can handle less sq.ft but again, safety and cost.
What are the best and worst areas to be looking in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 09:00 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsev View Post
We are looking for:

1. $1000 or less
2. House/Renting
3. Commute to Norcross
4. 4 Children/Homeschooled
[b]5. Urban but realize the possibilities[/B
]6. Public Transportation not important.
7. Safe, Safe, Safe as possible.
8. Looking in Alpharetta, Duluth, Suwanee, Buford, Cumming, and Sugar Hill.

We are suppose to be in Atlanta by Dec 6th. We can handle less sq.ft but again, safety and cost.
Your focus areas would be considered suburbs by most. Duluth would be closer to Norcross than the others.

How long of a commute is desired?

You could find homes in your price range in all of the listed areas and all would be considered above average for families.
Have you had a chance to tour this area?
Peachtree Industrial Blvd is a main road. Going north on PIB you first come to Duluth, then ? 10 miles or so later--Buford and then Suwanee. Cumming is east of these, IIRC. Alpharetta is west. I think Sugar Hill is east of Cumming.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:21 AM

30 to 40 minute commute at most, but obviously would prefer it to be as less as possible.

I lived in Duluth on the east side of I-85 off Sunny Hill Rd in 2000, only there for 9 months. We visited friends in 2007 in the Oakwood area, as for anything other than that we know nothing other than what we have been told.

I am not sure I will be able to fly out to see any places before we actually get there. We do have a person that said they would take a look at some places for us.

Any suggestions about commutes and good areas to live near Norcross are greatly appreciated.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
30 to 40 minute commute at most, but obviously would prefer it to be as less as possible.

I lived in Duluth on the east side of I-85 off Sunny Hill Rd in 2000, only there for 9 months. We visited friends in 2007 in the Oakwood area, as for anything other than that we know nothing other than what we have been told.

I am not sure I will be able to fly out to see any places before we actually get there. We do have a person that said they would take a look at some places for us.

Any suggestions about commutes and good areas to live near Norcross are greatly appreciated.
Hopefully, posters familiar with these areas will respond.

You might like the area around Buford. I don't go up that way much but it is growing and I would think there would be a good selection of houses in your price range. A good area for families.
The western side of Gwinnett would provide an easier commute to Norcross.
http://www.cityofbuford.com/
http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4G...ed=0CCEQ8gEwAA

http://www.cityofsugarhill.com/

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...im-buford.html

Old 10-31-2010, 09:48 AM

426 posts, read 2,322,205 times
The Peachtree Corners community of Norcross is nice, very built up, and is low on crime. It's west of Peachtree Industial, south of Duluth, north of Doraville, east of Dunwoody. You might be more limited in your price range there but would be closer to work and would get more of an urban feel than the other places you mentioned, though it is still very suburban. Schools aren't so great though but since your kids are homeschooled this won't be an issue for you. Since you have to work in Norcross I would at least consider the possiblity of living where you work. Would make life alot easier.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:51 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
I agree with the above. The area near The Forum/Peachtree Parkway is very nice (zip-30092). The unknown factor is what the rental market is in that area. If you're homeschooling, that should open up some options. Peachtree Elementary (the school in that area) is not a particularly great school from what I hear.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I agree with the above. The area near The Forum/Peachtree Parkway is very nice (zip-30092). The unknown factor is what the rental market is in that area. If you're homeschooling, that should open up some options. Peachtree Elementary (the school in that area) is not a particularly great school from what I hear.
Thank you all greatly!

Interesting. Would it be fair to say that good schools equates to better community? After all, if a school is not educating children sufficiently, wouldn't that show in the community?

I am sure there is some dependence on how one defines "good schools"?

Old 10-31-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Thank you all greatly!

Interesting. Would it be fair to say that good schools equates to better community? After all, if a school is not educating children sufficiently, wouldn't that show in the community?

Absolutely.

The quality of the school is a major consideration for resale of homes, too.

Simpson Elementary in Peachtree Corners on Jones Bridge Rd has been mentioned as a good school.

When you relocate you will discover that the need for improvement in education is of great importance to many constituents. Gwinnett County just received a large grant for efforts made to improve underperforming schools, fwiw.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:37 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
A lot of folks in the 30092 zip send their kids to private school: Wesleyan School, Cornerstone Christian Academy, Woodward Academy (North), Greater Atlanta Christian. The feeder patterns make a difference; I think that Peachtree Elementary has kids from more transient areas (apartment complexes around Peachtree Industrial/Buford Hwy). Simpson, I believe, does not include those areas.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:48 AM

426 posts, read 2,322,205 times
Quote:
Thank you all greatly!

Your thought process is logical. It has alot to do with school zoning though. Many kids in Peachtree Corners go to private schools. Wesleyan is a real central part of the community out there. Woodward North is also closeby. Simpson and Peachtree Elementary are ok. I would not call them good schools though. It does affect property values. For instance, Peachree Corners has a similar identity to Dunwoody and Johns Creek, two border cities, but is much more affordable than both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta