Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 23,617 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in Atlanta and we are trying to decide whether to move. Just to give you an idea of the kind of place we are coming from, we live in a small town in Illinois of about 1000 people. It isn't a suburb of a big city where everything blends together. It is pretty rural and the nearest big city (100,000 people) is about 20 miles away. My husband and I both like the small town, slower-paced lifestyle. The traffic in Atlanta terrifies me.

My husband's job offer is off of I-85 on Pleasantdale Rd. What I am hoping is that we can find a small town within commuting distance (hopefully not more than a 45-minute commute). I'm not sure if that is even doable. A couple of the towns I have thought about are Grayson and Loganville. We have 2 small children so I would like to find areas with great schools and of course low crime. Any thoughts you can give me about these towns including commute times, schools, crime, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have any ideas about other nice, family-oriented communites within a 45-minute commute, that would be great too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2006, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 31,266 times
We moved to Lawrenceville right on the Grayson city limit. Really nice here, close to Loganville which is very quiet based on what I've observed. We like this part of Gwinnett County...live on 3.5 acres but close to shopping, etc. Lawrenceville has a really cute downtown. Be sure to check out the schools as they can vary significantly by zip/town.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:00 AM

183 posts, read 1,006,951 times
My husband travels to Pleasantdale Rd. every morning, he leaves the house at 6:30 and is there by 7. We live in the outside of Monroe. By that I mean 1 street away is Loganville. My son lives 3 miles away and his address is Loganville however he lives in Walton County, as do we. Loganville can be either Gwinnett or Walton. No vehicle emissions in Walton and the taxes are cheaper. Walton does not allow the growth that Gwinnet does. There are new subdivisions being put up here too. The schools are better in Walton, less crowding. It is a more rural area. The houses in my subdision have at least an acre and a half. As I have posted here before, we lived in Lawrenceville for 7 years and moved here 3 years ago. We are so glad we made this move. I don't know what price range you are looking at, there are several subdivisiona along Rte. 138, Youth Monroe, Youth Jersey Rds. Best of luck to you!

Old 10-11-2006, 02:58 PM

39 posts, read 99,425 times
I moved to Lawrenceville in Ma7 2006, on the border of Grayson, in the Grayson school cluster. Is very nice so far. However, I just found out that there's a new Elementary School (Lovin - Grayson/Dacula Relief area) that's being built on New Hope, followed by a new HS on New Hope over looking Tribble Mill Park. My concern is that, while many people have said that Grayson is a good school cluster, another cluster is being created. The homes around the new HS are very nice ( $300 to $700K), however, the racial make-up is not as diverse. It's probably 30% black (which I am) for new homes and growing. My subdivision, which is new, is mostly black. The fact that's black and growing is not the problem. I just don't won't to be part of any racial redistricting!!!!!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 11:47 PM

45 posts, read 61,301 times
I second that Mary Beth. I'm a Realtor and if you are moving North of Atlanta, which is still called Metro Atlanta then yes Lawrenceville, Suwanee, Duluth, and Loganville are all good choices. In the end, I would recommend finding a Realtor, get acclamated your first day here and see the townships then narrow it down form there. The criteria you had mentioned fits many sections of each of the towns I have mentioned. That is one of the greatest attributes Gwinnett has to offer, you can still have homes that feel like country, but yet still in place that sees some action. Good luck hope I could help

Old 04-06-2007, 11:22 PM

18 posts, read 183,316 times
Grayson nor Loganville fit your description as being similar to the town from which you're moving, but they're close - Loganville more so than Grayson. Both are building rapidly with lots of traffic. Possibly you could live out from Loganville around Youth or Between and get the rural feel.

Walton Co. schools around Loganville are good. One grandson attends Loganville Primary. The Youth community is a good place to raise a family. I've lived in Grayson for 20+ years and my children live in Loganville.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:10 AM

75 posts, read 324,584 times
I agree with atlanta loganville sounds like the place. We are currently in a buyers market and lots of homes are available at great prices. Now is an excellent time to buy.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:05 PM

4 posts, read 28,641 times
My Hubby and I with our two boys ages 14,15 want to relocate from Ohio to Loganville area. This will take place in 7/08 or 8/08 after I graduate from school as an RN. My Hubby drives a semi and his company has a terminal in Atlanta. He lived in the area years ago and wants to move there again and I agreed, (after school). We will need to rent a home at first, atleast 3 bedrooms with a long driveway (to park the semi) I will end up working at one of the hospitals in Atlanta so our rent could be upwards to 1200.00. Is this area a good choice for the variables I have described? Any input would be great! Thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 09:52 PM

6 posts, read 39,849 times
My boyfriend and I are looking to move down this summer. I have a job in the Vinings, and he is looking for school districts close to that area. He is certified k-12 Physical Education.. There are openings at Jolly Elem, Clarkston, GA, would there be a smaller, safe, nice, town kind of in the middle of those two areas??

Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 AM

167 posts, read 864,301 times
OK. Here is the info I wish people would have mentioned before I came to the Atlanta metro- and I am taking a chance that I could get eaten alive for this....
There are no rural areas around Atlanta, at least not in driving distance. People who had farms or large acreage on the outskirts of Atlanta sold long ago to developers who subdivided them into tiny lots and built houses on them that consumes most of the lot. If you are from no-where Illionois or Nebraska, you are not going to find close to what you had in your old town around here. I read so many posts on city data forum where outsiders are looking for a "small" country town where the schools are good and there is no crime. Although there are some cute mainstreet areas around ATL, nothing around here is actually quaint and almost all the towns run together. Everybody does not know everybody- in fact, you could live here for 10 years and not know your neighbors due to the transient nature of this metro. My best advice would be to prepare yourself and your children for a bit of a culture shock. What Atlantans refer to as "country" may make you giggle a bit. I know it did for me. However, on the flip side of things- you will have every convenience at your fingertips, as you learn how to maneuver in the traffic. I think the Atlanta metro has almost every store, sport, activity and type of entertainment I have ever heard of. All that being said, I would point you towards Walton Co., as one of the above posters mentioned. Now that the construction boom has slowed, that area should stay "sleepy" for a little while longer while you are adjusting to the burbs. All the best!!

Last edited by mezzogirl; 01-22-2009 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta