U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:01 PM

8 posts, read 22,838 times

Advertisements

I'm a single professional woman in my late 40s. I enjoy a busy career but have really not made friends since moving here a year ago. I'm tired of my solitary life after work. Suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,568,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singleprof View Post
I'm a single professional woman in my late 40s. I enjoy a busy career but have really not made friends since moving here a year ago. I'm tired of my solitary life after work. Suggestions?
What are your interests?

Swing Dancing always sounded intriguing.
http://www.aseda.org/index.php

Lots of people enjoy bicycles>>
http://bicyclesouth.com/

Tennis?
http://www.altatennis.org/

Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 AM

442 posts, read 740,165 times
People in Atlanta are Cliquey. No one wants to make new friends after High school/college.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:03 PM

4,043 posts, read 6,630,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
People in Atlanta are Cliquey. No one wants to make new friends after High school/college.
If people in Atlanta are cliquey, what do you call people in Massachusetts? (currently in this state).

Deep down, it is normal for people everywhere to be more or less cliquey. It is, in fact, scary when people become superficial social butterflies - friends with anybody, anytime, and no one, in deed.
True friendships take time to brew and this is the very reason why the high geographic mobility in contemporary US is a pest for authentic and solid social relationships.

But I found Atlantans much, much easier in the "make new friends" department than people in Mass.
Just another perspective.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 PM

7,054 posts, read 8,466,538 times
Since it was mentioned, I just wanted to say I went to one Aseda event a few years back. It's not for me and I 'm just not a dancing person, but I wanted to say the people were really nice and very accepting of new people.

With that said... I think the point is most people meet people through mutual common interests and organizations like that.

Atlanta is also full of people who have moved here and have the same problem. Good and bad. Most of our growth is from people moving here, so there are more people that are looking to meet people. Of course, that doesn't necessarily make it easy to do.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:34 PM

2,599 posts, read 3,957,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
I'll agree with this. Especially for younger people. Certain types tend to dominate different neighborhoods in this city. It seems like a continuation of high school for a lot of people.

Your best bet is to look for advertised events that interest you. Meetup.com is actually a decent resource for some people depending on their interests.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:06 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,473,957 times
Volunteer. What is your passion? Children, building homes, nature....whatever it is, find an organization and offer your time. You will meet people with similar interests, give back and get back.

Or attend/join a church where there are always groups and activities to participate in.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:18 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,365,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singleprof View Post

I do believe the severe recession may be somewhat of an impediment for currently making friendships. At least for some people.

You didn't mention the steps you have, or have not, taken to make friendships.

In order to make friendships, I think you have to assess your strengths and weaknesses. If you're somewhat shy and reserved, it will be more difficult to make friendships.

Look for venues where your strengths will come into play. Obviously you wouldn't be hitting the bars when you're approaching 50.

If you don't have dog, rent one and head over to Piedmont Park on a Sunday. Or another park.

Better yet, rent two or three dogs. If you stay at a park long enough, someone will chat with you. People are much more likely to strike up a conversation if you're walking a dog.

Small talk in a park may not lead to anything, but it's better than staying at home. You can hone your social skills if they're a bit rusty.

Volunteering is always a good way to make friendships. What are your interests? Make a list of the organizations and clubs that spark your interest.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2010, 06:25 PM

876 posts, read 2,037,100 times
I think volunteering is a great idea and locating meetups for your own particular interests. Most things like this can be searchable online. Renting a dog or dog walking sounds like a good idea, too. Good luck to you.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 10,591 times
Oh, you are so right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: