Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 01:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times

Advertisements

She is a 24 year old college graduate. I think that she should be given five life sentences. If she had stayed on the scene, she probably wouldn't have gotten more than five years. But, when she decided to drive off and when I heard the tape of her being interrogated knowing that she killed people, that was it for me. She doesn't need her driving priviledges revoked becauase as far as I see it, she should never be allowed outside of prison. Sure, this wasn't intentional but when are reckless drivers ever going to be held accountable? I don't think anyone drives with the intent of killing anyone. It doesn't mean that the incident is any less horrible than if she had shot those people. I bet she wishes she never ran to the store to get Ice Cream...or at least taken the plea deal. That is the big shocker in this case. How anyone could be so confident to turn down that plea deal when the case was pretty cut and dry is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Arrogance or delusional that she would get off...

Old 11-02-2010, 02:01 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
she probably wish she would have died with everyone else

Old 11-02-2010, 02:10 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
She is a 24 year old college graduate. I think that she should be given five life sentences. If she had stayed on the scene, she probably wouldn't have gotten more than five years. But, when she decided to drive off and when I heard the tape of her being interrogated knowing that she killed people, that was it for me. She doesn't need her driving priviledges revoked becauase as far as I see it, she should never be allowed outside of prison. Sure, this wasn't intentional but when are reckless drivers ever going to be held accountable? I don't think anyone drives with the intent of killing anyone. It doesn't mean that the incident is any less horrible than if she had shot those people. I bet she wishes she never ran to the store to get Ice Cream...or at least taken the plea deal. That is the big shocker in this case. How anyone could be so confident to turn down that plea deal when the case was pretty cut and dry is beyond me.

Seriously whats the difference between 50 years and whatever years she is facing now?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:25 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
That is the big shocker in this case. How anyone could be so confident to turn down that plea deal when the case was pretty cut and dry is beyond me.
If the best deal they're offering you is 50 years and you're already 24, you have to wonder how much worse can it get? Why not roll the dice?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:53 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
she probably wish she would have died with everyone else
She should have killed herself then.

her whole argument was flawed imho. If someone swerves into your lane, you swerve away not into them. I don't get where she was coming from with that argument.

Aww well, the juror didn't buy it.

The scary thing is that she wanted to be a psychologist or psychiatrist. I didn't see too much empathy in this case of hiding the evidence and herself...

Old 11-02-2010, 04:03 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Default Points Made

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Well, a mistake in that she did not intentionally wake up that morning with the explicit goal of killing five people. That's an important distinction to make as I feel people should only be sentenced for things they specifically set out to do. In her case, there is plenty that could get her a very long jail sentence.

You are right, there was no pre-meditation. And that alone should save her sorry life, albeit, ever so slightly......no, they shouldn't execute her, that's a bit over the top but, life in prison without the possibility of prarole is a thought that has been provoked.

I'm quite sure that this is probably outside of the sentencing guidelines but, not to act simply sends the wrong message....all that said?

Give her 50 years, mandatory 30-35 to be served. That should take enough protein out of her diet so to speak....It would let her get out in her mid-to late 50's.....doubtful she would be so careless at that point going forward.

Yeah, that seems fair....if there could ever be something fair for the loss of those 5 innocent lives. Remember, before you pass temperment, pass judgement. Try to remember the victims. What did they look like? How would their lives have turned out? That's right, they never got the chance.

Any sympathies for this individual vaporized when she tried to hide/obstruct justice. Had she faced the consequences for her act I would not be so adamant about the punishment. She made a mistake. She made an even bigger one when she simply discounted those 5 lives and started to obstuct.

Sorry, just can't get over that piece. As the man said earlier, personal accountability is everything. Let's make sure she knows precisely what we mean by being held accountable.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If the best deal they're offering you is 50 years and you're already 24, you have to wonder how much worse can it get? Why not roll the dice?
They said each death is worth the life sentence so she is facing five life sentences. In my book, that is much worse than 50 years.

It was odd how composed she was during the whole thing. I heard that the crash scene photos were devastating and for her not to even react to those was pitiful. I wasn't in that crash, but the testimony and the stories of the victims make me shed some tears. The fathers testimony of his daughter being cut in half and that he couldn't save her called for a bunch of tissues. I can't even imagine. Even if you aren't guilty, you should still show remorse or at least some emotion about the loss of five lives.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:21 PM

274 posts, read 860,397 times
Michaels father is going to be spending the rest of his life running between jails visting his wife and daughter. the part that got me was the cover up that took place afterwards. Mother and daughter KNEW 5 people were dead. That's heartless. Thank goodness for the neighbors that were suspicious and called the cops.

All that education, mother and daughter, wasted.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 PM

472 posts, read 854,958 times
Quote:
All that education, mother and daughter, wasted.
Too bad people can't get an education in good conscience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta