Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 02:58 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
It's probably unfortunate, but I think many of the people who still questions Obama's citizenship probably rely more on "info-tainment" sources geared to their political/social outlook like Limbaugh, Boortz, and O'Reilly than not. Unfortunately most of the mainstream media sources do not make any meaningful attempts to dispel these rumors beyond a one paragraph story on the back pages. Maybe if the AJC, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, New York Post, USA Today and other sources dedicated one page of their respected papers every week to print President Obama's certificate?

Naw, that won't happen. It's too much like a public service and the American corporate media apparently relenquished that role a long time ago. Guardians of the fourth estate my ascot...
I think the problem we have is the traditional news sources did what they always have done and what they have learned to do.

The actually did report the story and they reported the birth certificate was out there and reported factcheck.orgs take on the situation. However, a news network requires they get 'both sides of the story,' even if the other side if blatantly lying or pandering to an audience.

So what happens is all the stories end up being about birthers and in some cases republicans (including our new Governor) questiong validity.

The stories no longer are reporting there is a reasonable question about his birth certificate, but instead reports there are people that question it.

So this creates a conundrum for the old media... at some point you have to ignore "one side of the argument," so you can simply say... fact of the matter is.... and whatever anyone else 'says' doesn't matter.

Btw, parts of Georgia really seemed to support the birther movement. Perhaps that is why Deal did as well. I will never get over the fact that our Govnonor sent our president a letter asking him to better prove his citizenship. That pretty much makes him an outright idiot or someone unethically pandering to a confused crowd at the cost of truth.

Nathan Deal says he'll ask for Barack Obama's birth certificate | Political Insider

White House confirms receipt of Nathan Deal letter questioning birthplace of Barack Obama | Political Insider

A GOP measure to force Obama to prove citizenship in 2012 | Political Insider

'Birther' lawyer again tries to fend off $20k fine | Political Insider

Old 11-11-2010, 04:10 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
"In fairness" his campaigned released a scanned version of his birth certificate before he was elected.

"In fairness" that copy of that exact copy of the birth certificate was handed over to countless organizations to verify, like the Hawaii Department of Health and Factcheck.org.

"In fairness" no other president in modern history has had to actually do that.

"In fairness" The head of Hawaiis' Department of Health verified the legitimacy of the birth certificate.

"in fairness" the local newspaper on the day he was born printed it in the paper.

The reason I say this... and I say this like this is everytime something is done people are choosing to act like it wasn't done, is part of a conspiracy, or just don't care. They keep perpetuating the same hysteria online and wait for other people who haven't seen all the facts to read what they wrote online. There is really nothing that seems to be a way of truly putting this issue to rest with some.
Hmm...whenever I have been asked for a birth certificate, I present an authentic copy that is embossed with the state seal, not a 'scanned' copy. I'm not trying to sound like some skeptic (immediately dismissed as a loony by most if you express incredulity), but I have never been able to find any evidence that an actual document has been put into the hands of anyone that questioned the veracity of his birthplace. Please prove me wrong and find an article that says otherwise. I've yet to find it. If no other president has been challenged in this manner (Really? How dare they?), it's because it has to date been easily verifiable as to where they hail from, and that place tends to fall within constitutional parameters.
As to that 'black president' nonsense, please don't insult our intelligence.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Hmm...whenever I have been asked for a birth certificate, I present an authentic copy that is embossed with the state seal, not a 'scanned' copy. I'm not trying to sound like some skeptic (immediately dismissed as a loony by most if you express incredulity), but I have never been able to find any evidence that an actual document has been put into the hands of anyone that questioned the veracity of his birthplace. Please prove me wrong and find an article that says otherwise. I've yet to find it. If no other president has been challenged in this manner (Really? How dare they?), it's because it has to date been easily verifiable as to where they hail from, and that place tends to fall within constitutional parameters.
I'm sorry, but I never brought up racism. However, with all do respect, in this instance anyone saying what you have said at this point in time deserves to have their intelligence insulted.

FactCheck.org: Born in the U.S.A.

Fight the Smears: The Truth About Barack (http://fightthesmears.com/articles/5/birthcertificate - broken link)

Hawai‘i State Department of Health

http://hawaii.gov/health/about/pr/2008/08-93.pdf

http://hawaii.gov/health/about/pr/2009/09-063.pdf

Hawaii: Obama birth certificate is real - USATODAY.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/us.../14hawaii.html

PolitiFact | Obama's birth certificate: Final chapter

Barack Obama's birth certificate revealed here | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

And that just took 10 seconds on google searching "Barack Obama Birth Certificate." All I had to do was ignore all the no-name sites, blogs, and go to reliable news sources. If you don't like one or two all of the other printed the same story.

It is embarrassing that people in this country still don't believe this.

Oh yea... and try going to the statements directly from the Hawaii Department of Health. The place where birth records are kept and birth certificates are printed!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:28 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Never took you for a birther. Pretty surprising.

The state of Hawaii has verified over and over that he was born there. Why is that not enough?

I'm sorry, but the fact that this issue hasn't come up with any other president except our first Black one isn't something that can just be casually dismissed.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:04 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Great fact-check, cwkimbro! I would spot you a couple of points if I could.

On another note:

You know, I've had to eat some major humble pie and admit to my errors on more than one occasion here at city-data. I hope that in a gesture of good faith and to serve the interests of honest intellectual debating, I pray that some of my more conservative-leaning fellow Georgians do the same and admit that the Obama birth certificate-issue is a non-starter.

That's my hopes, anyways.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I never brought up racism. However, with all do respect, in this instance anyone saying what you have said at this point in time deserves to have their intelligence insulted.

FactCheck.org: Born in the U.S.A.

Fight the Smears: The Truth About Barack (http://fightthesmears.com/articles/5/birthcertificate - broken link)

Hawai‘i State Department of Health

http://hawaii.gov/health/about/pr/2008/08-93.pdf

http://hawaii.gov/health/about/pr/2009/09-063.pdf

Hawaii: Obama birth certificate is real - USATODAY.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/us.../14hawaii.html

PolitiFact | Obama's birth certificate: Final chapter

Barack Obama's birth certificate revealed here | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

And that just took 10 seconds on google searching "Barack Obama Birth Certificate." All I had to do was ignore all the no-name sites, blogs, and go to reliable news sources. If you don't like one or two all of the other printed the same story.

It is embarrassing that people in this country still don't believe this.

Oh yea... and try going to the statements directly from the Hawaii Department of Health. The place where birth records are kept and birth certificates are printed!

Last edited by AcidSnake; 11-11-2010 at 06:31 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I'm not a birther and I really don't care whether Obama was born in the U.S. He was legitimately elected and he's clearly the President.

But I don't understand why he doesn't end the controversy by simply producing the original document.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm not a birther and I really don't care whether Obama was born in the U.S. He was legitimately elected and he's clearly the President.

But I don't understand why he doesn't end the controversy by simply producing the original document.

Dear Lord...

--Read-- the above posts. --Click-- the above links. He did. And on top of that through open records requests it has been presented to several different news organizations.

But more importantly than the original document. The producer of the document, the Hawaii Department of Health that prints it has authenticated their original record of his birth on file in Hawaii.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Dear Lord...

--Read-- the above posts. --Click-- the above links. He did. And on top of that through open records requests it has been presented to several different news organizations.

But more importantly than the original document. The producer of the document, the Hawaii Department of Health that prints it has authenticated their original record of his birth on file in Hawaii.
I'm not talking about the printout from 2007/2008. We're all well aware of that.

I'm referring to the original document on which the printout is based. I know it can't be released to third parties, but it could easily be made available to Obama himself. You can't tell me that in the face of all this brouhaha that Obama couldn't go down and get a photocopy of the original document and put all this controversy to rest, once and for all.

Why not?

Again, I personally don't care where he was born nor do I question his legitimacy as President. I simply can't fathom why he wouldn't produce the original document -- not a printout -- and bring the matter to an end. Why be obstinate? If it was me or my family I'd just go down to vital records and get a photocopy and say, "Hey, everybody, here it is. Now shut up!"

Old 11-11-2010, 07:25 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
I don't get it. Do you want our Commander-in-Chief to personally come to your house, land Marine 1 in your front yard, and present his birth certificate to you at your doorstep on his knees?

Where exactly can he present the original document to you? If you ask me for my birth certificate today, I would simply scan the original document and send the copy (which is what a scanner does, it makes copies) to you as an attachment on e-mail.

That is the equivalent of what President Obama did. He scanned his birth certificate and sent it to the media (Any who happened to be responsible enough to want to dispel the rumors).

You are being unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Old 11-11-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I don't get it. Do you want our Commander-in-Chief to personally come to your house, land Marine 1 in your front yard, and present his birth certificate to you at your doorstep on his knees?
Now why be absurd? Obama has produced a certified printout from 2007/2008. That's obviously not the original document. Why not simply produce the original?

Persoally, I'm okah wiht the certified copy of the printout, but that obviously hasn't quelled the controvery. So why not put it to an end by simply showing the original document? That would be the rational response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta