Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2010, 11:47 AM
 
2,590 posts, read 4,512,030 times
Reputation: 3065

Advertisements

I first heard about this by way of Creative Loafing with the headline "Mega Church Preacher, Dad of Black Lips singer comes out gay in video" and I couldn't help but think "so that's why that kid is so screwed up."

I'm not saying I'm proud of myself for thinking that.(and I was thinking more about the fact that his dad is a preacher)

As for the actual situation, I do think it took testicular fortitude to make the announcement. It's up to the pastor and the congregation to resolve this. I'm sure there will be many who leave his church but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of supporters stick around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2010, 11:58 AM
 
31,994 posts, read 36,533,320 times
Reputation: 13254
If his congregation loved him before it's hard to see why they wouldn't now.

As Jesus said on the mountainside:

Quote:
Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?

You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye."
Matthew 7:1-5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 12:28 PM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,827,803 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I''ll give the guy credit for coming out. The pressure on gay people to deny their feelings and try to live as heterosexuals is huge.

And it's not just being gay that people hide. Think of all the folks you know who've been in terrible marriages or jobs that they've hated, yet they stayed put forever. The pressure to conform to what we believe are social norms is a mighty force. It often takes people decades to come to grips with their true feelings, and some go through their whole lives in denial. Even the ones who figure it out frequently don't have the courage to do anything about it.

So while the guy may have been in the closet way too long he gets props for finally dealing with it. Maybe it will help other people who are struggling with some inner conflict. Hopefully before they do something destructive or fatal.
You hit the nail right on the head.. If society was a lil bit more accepting you wouldnt have things like this. Even murderers get more respect than gay people.. Being Gay is a very hard life to live and Until you walk in a gay mans shoes. You will never understand why those closet men do what they do..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 12:32 PM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,827,803 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MJ View Post
If his congregation stays they are fools. I can't stand people who live a lie. I feel bad for his wife and kids.
Well you need to go live on a live on a island by yourself. People live lies and tell lies all the time. People need to remember that the man is FLESH... And that you shouldnt put all your faith in man because you will be disappointed everytime. Running from Church to church isnt good either just because someone messed up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 03:16 PM
 
479 posts, read 699,555 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
....Even murderers get more respect than gay people...
You sure about that?

Cynthia Tucker is the sole reason I will never, ever patronize that tabloid piece of trash, the Atlanta J&C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 03:44 PM
 
1,299 posts, read 2,261,826 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
You sure about that?

Cynthia Tucker is the sole reason I will never, ever patronize that tabloid piece of trash, the Atlanta J&C.
Fearmongering seems to be the word of the day on this post and the others discussing the elections last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 05:07 PM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,827,803 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
You sure about that?

Cynthia Tucker is the sole reason I will never, ever patronize that tabloid piece of trash, the Atlanta J&C.
Yes Im sure... I bet she is not going to be bashed on a daily for killing someone. I bet she is not going to be told constantly shes going to hell. She will still have her rights to marry no one is going to take anything away from her except maybe her freedom and she still will come out of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 PM
 
Location: East Cobb
2,206 posts, read 6,868,557 times
Reputation: 924
Cynthia Tucker won a Pulitzer Prize in 2007. She's a fine reporter and comes across as a decent human being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 10:26 PM
 
314 posts, read 636,936 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
To me labeling what he did as courageous is just ridiculous though. Courageous would be admitting early on that you are gay and forming a gay friendly church that he would have pastored too. What he did is disengenious and hypocritical. Especially what he did to his children!

It's really easy to cast stones when you don't have to walk in those shoes.

Do you think he enjoyed throwing his desired love life down the toilet, fighting against who he was day-in and day-out, and feeling like he had to live a lie to everyone he knew, everyone he worked with, and even his own family for decades? Do you think he did this because it's easy to do the actions you prescribe?

Seriously, let's get real people. People don't hide in the closet for decades in misery, sometimes committing suicide rather than facing the pressure, because it's fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 PM
 
314 posts, read 636,936 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If his congregation loved him before it's hard to see why they wouldn't now.

As Jesus said on the mountainside:

Matthew 7:1-5

Pfft, just because Jesus said it doesn't mean we have to follow it! Christianity is all about reading stuff in a bible for an hour on the weekend, and then going out and ignoring it entirely in your daily life by persecuting others, refusing to turn the other cheek, and ignoring stuff like "whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers".


At least, that's what I gather from watching some Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top