Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:03 AM

31,994 posts, read 36,533,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
If the AJC wants to employ someone like Tucker who does drive away subcriptions than so be it. Its no skin off my back. What I do find suspect is that a business would employ someone that is hurting their bottomline. The AJC has been loosing subscriptions for years and when they conduct surveys as to why, one of the biggest complaints from former readers is the perceived liberal bias of the paper. Now I know many other things come into play like reading the paper online but most rational businesses listen to the people that buy their product. This can not be said about most US newspapers as most are very left leaning and have no interest in changing this perception.
Well, I may be crazy, but I like getting opinions that rub me the wrong way. I'm not all that interested in hearing stuff that simply reinforces my own point of view.

That's why I read Cynthia and other strong liberal commentators as well as smart people from the center and from the right. Unless I'm challenged I'm the type who tends to think my perspective is the right one.

And even when I disagree with somebody like Cynthia Tucker or Charles Krauthammer or Victor Hansen, I know there's meat on the bone and that they've given me something to stretch my mind and perspective. Do they sell newspapers? Honestly, I could not care less. My hope is to keep the discussion lively, diverse and challenging.

You know the old saying that it's the squeaking wheel that most needs your attention? It's the things that bother us that we need to be looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I may be crazy, but I like getting opinions that rub me the wrong way. I'm not all that interested in hearing stuff that simply reinforces my own point of view.

That's why I read Cynthia and other strong liberal commentators as well as smart people from the center and from the right. Unless I'm challenged I'm the type who tends to think my perspective is the right one.

And even when I disagree with somebody like Cynthia Tucker or Charles Krauthammer or Victor Hansen, I know there's meat on the bone and that they've given me something to stretch my mind and perspective. Do they sell newspapers? Honestly, I could not care less. My hope is to keep the discussion lively, diverse and challenging.

You know the old saying that it's the squeaking wheel that most needs your attention? It's the things that bother us that we need to be looking at.
I agree with most of what you said but I totally disagree on Cynthia Tucker. Jay Bookman is another liberal at the AJC but I dont hold the same level of disgust for him that I do for Tucker. Reason being is that he is atleast objectionable or better yet debateable. He covers a variety of topics and even though he takes a left spin on them he does make some good points. Now Tucker is the exact opposite. She harps on four things and four things only. Black victimization, pro-illegal rants, anti-Republican/Conservative rants, pro-gay rants. Dont believe me simply look at the articles that she cut & paste. Yes cut & paste, the women rarely has anything that is her own. She takes other peoples opinions and adds a few lines as to why she supports it. She is a hack plain and simple and is a detriment to the AJC. I like diverse opinions but a one trick pony like Tucker is something totally different. The fact that someone of her ilk won the Pulitizer makes it a useless award to me. Kinda like Obama winning the Nobel Peace prize.

Last edited by suprascooby22; 11-04-2010 at 09:33 AM..

Old 11-04-2010, 09:54 AM

31,994 posts, read 36,533,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Now Tucker is the exact opposite. She harps on four things and four things only. Black victimization, pro-illegal rants, anti-Republican/Conservative rants, pro-gay rants. Dont believe me simply look at the articles that she cut & paste. Yes cut & paste, the women rarely has anything that is her own. She takes other peoples opinions and adds a few lines as to why she supports it.
Well, I've just looked over Tucker's columns and that's not an accurate summary at all. I often disagree with her but she writes on many topics, and sometimes even goes after the liberals.

In any case, it hardly seems fair to characterize the whole newspaper based on one or two columnists you disagree with. The AJC's not what it was in its heyday, but very few newspapers are. The internet and cable news have put a mighty hurt on them. Personally I'm old school and I love newspapers, and I really want them to stay alive. An increasing number of cities don't even have a daily paper.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:19 AM

16,633 posts, read 29,306,224 times
Quote:
I''ll give the guy credit for coming out. The pressure on gay people to deny their feelings and try to live as heterosexuals is huge.

And it's not just being gay that people hide. Think of all the folks you know who've been in terrible marriages or jobs that they've hated, yet they stayed put forever. The pressure to conform to what we believe are social norms is a mighty force. It often takes people decades to come to grips with their true feelings, and some go through their whole lives in denial. Even the ones who figure it out frequently don't have the courage to do anything about it.

So while the guy may have been in the closet way too long he gets props for finally dealing with it. Maybe it will help other people who are struggling with some inner conflict. Hopefully before they do something destructive or fatal.
This...

Old 11-04-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I thought that's what he was doing? No?

I''ll say this about his kids. They're bound to have a lot more respect and affection for him for having the guts to be who he is than they would if he kept living a lie. Families are pretty resilient, and hopefully they are the one place where you can finally say who you really are (or are becoming) without fear of being judged.

We went throughout this just recently with some dear friends whose son came out as gay. Everyone felt honored that he trusted us enough to tell the truth about how he felt. He also said it helped him a lot to know of other people who'd had the courage to come out.

As I say, this preacher probably should have come out of the closet long ago. It would have been easier on everyone else and him, too. But he didn't and he has to do deal with reality now and in the future. At least he had the guts to do the right thing. What would you recommend, that he keep on living the lie?
This...

Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Cynthia Tucker won a Pulitzer Prize in 2007. She's a fine reporter and comes across as a decent human being.
This...

Old 11-04-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Neither Tucker nor the preacher is saying what he did in the past was cool. It wasn't. The guy is far from perfect but at least he finally a gutsy move. A lot of people who would remain in denial and stay in the closet forever.

My young friends who come out early deserve many kudos but it was different a generation or two ago. I think most of them will readily acknowledge that. Not long ago there was almost zero tolerance for gay people -- just being suspected of it would get them a sound beating, and maybe a lot worse. There was no GLAAD, no Pride Festival, no National Coming Out Day, no HRC and not many role models, especially in the preacher field.

As for Cynthia Tucker, she's definitely an unabashed liberal. But what's wrong with that? The newspapers, airwaves and internets are filled with zillions of right wing ideologues. Don't we still have room for both sides in this country?

...and This.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:54 AM

479 posts, read 699,555 times
Cynthia Tucker focuses entirely too much on the racial side of things. You can argue that, but it wont change my opinion or that of many other Atlantans. It is an oft voiced complaint about her that turns many people away/

No one is saying she should be censured. The AJC is a private business and can employ who it wants. But by no means MUST I indirectly support her financially by patronizing that worthless rag.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:00 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Cynthia Tucker focuses entirely too much on the racial side of things. You can argue that, but it wont change my opinion or that of many other Atlantans. It is an oft voiced complaint about her that turns many people away/

No one is saying she should be censured. The AJC is a private business and can employ who it wants. But by no means MUST I indirectly support her financially by patronizing that worthless rag.
They are one private business that doesnt care about profits or the bottomline because Tucker is hurting both in a major way. Worthless rag indeed.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:08 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,868,557 times
I'm confused as to whether those who consider the AJC a "worthless rag" think:

1. It's a "worthless rag" because there are many things they dislike about it, one of which is Cynthia Tucker's column.

2. It's a "worthless rag" purely because it has Cynthia Tucker. They'd consider buying the AJC if it just didn't have that hated columnist.

So ... if the answer is #1, why even bother to comment on Ms. Tucker's work in particular? You dislike pretty much everything about the AJC anyway.

And if the answer is #2, wow, one column that appears twice a week is enough to make the entire newspaper "worthless"? Even on the other five days of the week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta