Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:13 AM

23,319 posts, read 43,781,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I'm confused as to whether those who consider the AJC a "worthless rag" think:

1. It's a "worthless rag" because there are many things they dislike about it, one of which is Cynthia Tucker's column.

2. It's a "worthless rag" purely because it has Cynthia Tucker. They'd consider buying the AJC if it just didn't have that hated columnist.

So ... if the answer is #1, why even bother to comment on Ms. Tucker's work in particular? You dislike pretty much everything about the AJC anyway.

And if the answer is #2, wow, one column that appears twice a week is enough to make the entire newspaper "worthless"? Even on the other five days of the week?
I have several issues with the AJC, only one of which is Cynthia Tucker. I won't elaborate; per the TOS, I won't don't wish to go OT. And I hope you understand that my response was in no way personal towards a poster whose POV I generally respect very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:03 PM

31,994 posts, read 36,533,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I have several issues with the AJC, only one of which is Cynthia Tucker. I won't elaborate; per the TOS, I won't don't wish to go OT. And I hope you understand that my response was in no way personal towards a poster whose POV I generally respect very much.
Likewise!

I've got plenty of issues with the AJC myself, but I sort of look at from the "Well, it's our SOB" perspective.

And LD, these comments are not directed at you.

It's truly hard for me to understand how people can get so wrapped around the axle about Cynthia Tucker. Perhaps they totally disagree with her but what's the big deal? She's simply one of several opinion columnists, some of whom lean just as hard to the right as she does to the left. Is it really necessary that we all march in lockstep to the doctrinaire right? Do we no longer welcome differing points of view? Even if Tucker's ideas irritate you to no end, you have to admit that some people find them interesting. And if you hate them yourself, all you have to do is skip over them.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:10 PM

479 posts, read 699,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's truly hard for me to understand how people can get so wrapped around the axle about Cynthia Tucker. Perhaps they totally disagree with her but what's the big deal? She's simply one of several opinion columnists, some of whom lean just as hard to the right as she does to the left. Is it really necessary that we all march in lockstep to the doctrinaire right? Do we no longer welcome differing points of view? Even if Tucker's ideas irritate you to no end, you have to admit that some people find them interesting. And if you hate them yourself, all you have to do is skip over them.
You can put the "different views" label on just about anything. Neo-nazis, KKK, Black Panthers, Anarchists, they are all just expressing their opinions, right? So I guess we should all just "welcome" their perspective...

Many find Cynthia Tucker as hateful as any of the groups above. One way we show our feelings about her is through withholding financial support for the AJC It is perfectly within our right to do so. And there are plenty of other good news services available. Also, I really dont care what restaurant Jennifer Anniston ate dinner in last night.

If you can name a regular columist in the AJC who leans as far right as she does left, Ill eat my newspaper!

Old 11-04-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
If you can name a regular columist in the AJC who leans as far right as she does left, Ill eat my newspaper!
How about Jim Wooten and Neal Boortz?

And of course you have the right to not like Tucker and not buy the AJC -- has anyone suggested otherwise?

Old 11-04-2010, 03:34 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,671,303 times
Lightbulb LOL...Bullbear, Put Down That Knife And Fork!

Quote:
You can put the "different views" label on just about anything. Neo-nazis, KKK, Black Panthers, Anarchists, they are all just expressing their opinions, right? So I guess we should all just "welcome" their perspective...

Many find Cynthia Tucker as hateful as any of the groups above. One way we show our feelings about her is through withholding financial support for the AJC It is perfectly within our right to do so. And there are plenty of other good news services available. Also, I really dont care what restaurant Jennifer Anniston ate dinner in last night.

I know you and I have butted heads a few times here, and I may not have always agreed with you, but I do respect you and your views...

I said that to say this...my hometown paper (The Middletown OH Journal) carries columns from: Jonah Goldberg, Charles Krauthammer, George F. Will, Walter Williams, and Kathleen Parker...it also once carried Cal Thomas, who is about as sunk-in-concrete and steel consevative as you can get...do I always agree with everything these folks write? No...not by a long shot...but I still read their columns every day or every chance I get, for the simple fact that I feel the need to hear opinions other than my own...

And I'll give them all their due...every now and then, they get it so right, I can only shake my head and smile (especially leading up to their pieces about the Tuesday elections LOL)...which is the same way I am with you on this forum...we've never met, and we may be on opposite sides of the spectrum about things...but know this---if i were your neighbor, and I saw your house on fire, politics and opinions be damned, I'm grabbin' a bucket and pitching in, because it would be danged silly for me not to help because 'pfft---he's a Republican! (or whatever opposing point you held LOL)'...and I hope you'd do the same for me...

My point here is, Tucker's gonna say what she does, and folks are gonna either line up with her, or utterly despise her...but she does have the right to have a forum for her opinion (I KNOW you're gonna blast the heck out of me for saying that, but it's sadly true)

Old 11-04-2010, 03:47 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,829,951 times
^^^ Well said. I don't mind Cynthia Tucker's column. I'm not black, nor gay, and figure I can learn something from it. I prefer Leonard Pitt's reasoned words though.

I appreciate having a liberal leaning newspaper to read, having grown up with the Wall Street Journal per my parents' conservative views.

But, back to the OP. As we've seen with the Eddie Long charges, it isn't easy coming out as a black gay man. Courageous seems to fit here.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:51 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,960,793 times
Okay first off this does not effect anyone but his family , his congregation and we are all to love the sinner and hate the sin . dont believe me look in the bible . I dont like people who think they are better than anyone else . My bible teaches me to love the sinner and hate the sin.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Many find Cynthia Tucker as hateful as any of the groups above.
By the way, I looked through Cynthia Tucker's columns and didn't find any hatefulness. So it doesn't look like that is actually the case. If there are any examples of her getting into KKK, Neo-Nazi, Black Panther style hate I would have to change my opinion but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that.

She's a leftie but that doesn't make her hateful.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:10 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
^^^ Well said. I don't mind Cynthia Tucker's column. I'm not black, nor gay, and figure I can learn something from it. I prefer Leonard Pitt's reasoned words though.

I appreciate having a liberal leaning newspaper to read, having grown up with the Wall Street Journal per my parents' conservative views.

But, back to the OP. As we've seen with the Eddie Long charges, it isn't easy coming out as a black gay man. Courageous seems to fit here.
The guy in Conyers is white and was the Pastor to a mostly white congregation.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:17 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,261,826 times
[quote=arjay57;16530078]By the way, I looked through Cynthia Tucker's columns and didn't find any hatefulness. So it doesn't look like that is actually the case. If there are any examples of her getting into KKK, Neo-Nazi, Black Panther style hate I would have to change my opinion but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that.

She's a leftie but that doesn't make her hateful.[/quote]

I cant comment on her being hateful but I can assure you that she is dishonest which is the main problem I have with her. She doesnt support her arguements with facts alot of time but rather she cuts and paste some other liberal hit piece and adds her two cents to it. Want proof just look at her take on illegals. NOTHING but dishonesty and slanted opinions represented in those pieces. I'm sorry but theres nothing honest about stating that illegals bring more positives than negatives regardless of how she trys to spin it. Lastly most people would say that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are race pimps who make a living drawing on the racial divide in this country. Would you consider them dishonest individuals? Tucker is the exact same as them in regards to playing the race card and she doesnt just do it occasionally. She literally has a black victimization piece weekly. Dont believe me just scroll through her pieces for the last six months.

Political Commentary from Cynthia Tucker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta