Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2010, 08:21 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,319 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Reputation: 16458

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How about Jim Wooten and Neal Boortz?

And of course you have the right to not like Tucker and not buy the AJC -- has anyone suggested otherwise?

I don't think NB can be characterized as 'far right'; he is an avowed Libertarian who is supportive of gay rights and decriminalization of drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2010, 08:39 AM
 
1,299 posts, read 2,261,826 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I don't think NB can be characterized as 'far right'; he is an avowed Libertarian who is supportive of gay rights and decriminalization of drugs.
Most Libertarians disown him because of his pro-Iraq war stance. He freely admits this on his radio talk show. The other points you make are spot on in regards to gays and drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 08:42 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,319 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Reputation: 16458
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Most Libertarians disown him because of his pro-Iraq war stance. He freely admits this on his radio talk show. The other points you make are spot on in regards to gays and drugs.
That is true. Apparently he was disinvited to speak at their convention because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 09:48 AM
 
Location: East Cobb
2,206 posts, read 6,868,557 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post

I cant comment on her being hateful but I can assure you that she is dishonest which is the main problem I have with her. She doesnt support her arguements with facts alot of time but rather she cuts and paste some other liberal hit piece and adds her two cents to it. Want proof just look at her take on illegals. NOTHING but dishonesty and slanted opinions represented in those pieces. I'm sorry but theres nothing honest about stating that illegals bring more positives than negatives regardless of how she trys to spin it. Lastly most people would say that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are race pimps who make a living drawing on the racial divide in this country. Would you consider them dishonest individuals? Tucker is the exact same as them in regards to playing the race card and she doesnt just do it occasionally. She literally has a black victimization piece weekly. Dont believe me just scroll through her pieces for the last six months.

Political Commentary from Cynthia Tucker
Scooby, I think you're making an error of thinking that people who don't share some of your fiercely held opinions are lying rather than simply interpreting facts differently.

The economic and social impact of illegal immigrants is simply not as clear-cut as you seem to think it is. To repeat a comment I made on another thread, at this point I think I'm in favor of draconian anti-illegal legislation because I can't see any other way to get some consensus on the role those people have been playing in our society. Welfare freeloaders or working-class mainstay of Georgia agriculture and other industries? Let's find out. Meanwhile, please be aware that while you may consider the "welfare freeloaders" interpretation to be a fact, others do not share that opinion, and this is not because we're dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 12:03 PM
 
31,994 posts, read 36,533,320 times
Reputation: 13254
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I don't think NB can be characterized as 'far right'; he is an avowed Libertarian who is supportive of gay rights and decriminalization of drugs.
Well, it's true that Neal takes the the position that the government has no business messing with gays or drugs. In my opinion that's what any thinking conservative would say. Keep the government's big snout out of our personal lives.

Other than that, you won't find many commentators who are more energetic in denouncing liberal positions and people.


And what about Wooten? I've been reading him for years and have never seen him follow anything other than the right wing party line.

You'd be hard pressed to call Kyle Wingfield a liberal, too.

That's what's astonishing about the backlash toward Tucker. Since when did it become "hateful" to disagree with the right wing? You'd expect conservatives to be leading the charge for diversity in thought and expression. What could be more dear to the champions of individual liberty?

Personally I read all these columnists and look for what I believe is sensible. They're all intelligent and articulate, and worthy of consideration even when I disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
 
1,299 posts, read 2,261,826 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Scooby, I think you're making an error of thinking that people who don't share some of your fiercely held opinions are lying rather than simply interpreting facts differently.

The economic and social impact of illegal immigrants is simply not as clear-cut as you seem to think it is. To repeat a comment I made on another thread, at this point I think I'm in favor of draconian anti-illegal legislation because I can't see any other way to get some consensus on the role those people have been playing in our society. Welfare freeloaders or working-class mainstay of Georgia agriculture and other industries? Let's find out. Meanwhile, please be aware that while you may consider the "welfare freeloaders" interpretation to be a fact, others do not share that opinion, and this is not because we're dishonest.
Your points are all well taken but why I find Tucker to be dishonest especially in regards to illegals is that she trys to make them victims. Sorry but they are NOT victims. Even there illegal children that are brought here at a young age. At some point that child knows he/she is illegal and yet does the same thing their parents do by trying to cheat our system just like the illegal at Kennesaw State did. By the way look at Tuckers pieces regarding said illegal to see examples of the victimhood she heaps upon them. I accept that we may disagree but I find it hard to not label a person like Tucker dishonest. I don't claim that Jay Bookman is dishonest and he is another liberal commentator on the AJC. Difference is that he presents his arguements in an intellectual way while Tucker simply plays on raw emotion which to me is lowest common denominator. For me this isnt so much a right vs left thing more like honest vs dishonest.

Last edited by suprascooby22; 11-05-2010 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 12:09 AM
 
314 posts, read 636,936 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Scooby, I think you're making an error of thinking that people who don't share some of your fiercely held opinions are lying rather than simply interpreting facts differently.

Yeah, I think people are getting *a little* carried away with the Cynthia Tucker thing. Are we seriously comparing her to the KKK? Jesus, she's just an op-ed contributor. They pay her to contribute an opinion to the newspaper that isn't NECESSARILY exactly like every other opinion in the damn paper. If all your contributors say the exact same thing and toe the same party line on every topic, what's the point of even hiring them? I think George Will is a moron, but I'll still read his stuff because I want to hear 'the other side', and one person's views don't discredit an entire news organization when all they do is create an infrequent page of opinion once or twice a week.

Plugging your fingers in your ears and shutting your eyes every time you see something that's not exactly what you think isn't *exactly* the best way to be an informed voter or an informed person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 12:26 AM
 
Location: Douglasville, GA
642 posts, read 2,212,345 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
Yeah, I think people are getting *a little* carried away with the Cynthia Tucker thing. Are we seriously comparing her to the KKK? Jesus, she's just an op-ed contributor. They pay her to contribute an opinion to the newspaper that isn't NECESSARILY exactly like every other opinion in the damn paper. If all your contributors say the exact same thing and toe the same party line on every topic, what's the point of even hiring them? I think George Will is a moron, but I'll still read his stuff because I want to hear 'the other side', and one person's views don't discredit an entire news organization when all they do is create an infrequent page of opinion once or twice a week.

Plugging your fingers in your ears and shutting your eyes every time you see something that's not exactly what you think isn't *exactly* the best way to be an informed voter or an informed person.
Yeah it's hard to take somebody serious after they said that. Like did this person serious compare this columnist(and yes Ive read her) to hate groupe that would love to kill certain people just as soon as look at them. And the sad thing is I have yet to see anyone who sided with him in this thread call him on that foolishness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 08:15 AM
 
479 posts, read 699,555 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
Yeah it's hard to take somebody serious after they said that. Like did this person serious compare this columnist(and yes Ive read her) to hate groupe that would love to kill certain people just as soon as look at them. And the sad thing is I have yet to see anyone who sided with him in this thread call him on that foolishness.
You and "Spotch" are over-reaching on my Cynthia Tucker comparison. I never said she was a killer. I merely pointed out how arguing that ANY point of view is OK, JUST BECAUSE it is "different" is not a valid argurment --- as in the case of KKK, etc. A Point of View doesnt not have to be taken seriously, or considered, JUST BECAUSE it is different from the norm. Therefore that is not a good way of defending her.

But how about this instead? Like many people in Atlanta I think Cynthia Tucker is a racist moron. Whenever I read her column (which is rare now, admittedly) and the subject is not about the perils of racism as practiced by white people, Im shocked - so unlike her.

And sorry, reading CT or others like her does not challenge my world view or cause me to "rethink". Not even close. More likely it makes my blood pressure rise and gives me angry bowel syndrome. I read and take in information constantly from multiple sources both hard and electronic. I am very well informed, thank you, and would appreciate your not suggesting otherwise.

The fact that the paper PAYS her so that she may share her racist attitudes with others I find abhorrent. Therefore I refuse to support the rag. And yet somehow it seems I can still lead a rich and meaningful life without the AJC OR Cynthia Tucker. Ahh, the power of the human spirit!

PS: If you find
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 AM
 
1,299 posts, read 2,261,826 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
You and "Spotch" are over-reaching on my Cynthia Tucker comparison. I never said she was a killer. I merely pointed out how arguing that ANY point of view is OK, JUST BECAUSE it is "different" is not a valid argurment --- as in the case of KKK, etc. A Point of View doesnt not have to be taken seriously, or considered, JUST BECAUSE it is different from the norm. Therefore that is not a good way of defending her.

But how about this instead? Like many people in Atlanta I think Cynthia Tucker is a racist moron. Whenever I read her column (which is rare now, admittedly) and the subject is not about the perils of racism as practiced by white people, Im shocked - so unlike her.

And sorry, reading CT or others like her does not challenge my world view or cause me to "rethink". Not even close. More likely it makes my blood pressure rise and gives me angry bowel syndrome. I read and take in information constantly from multiple sources both hard and electronic. I am very well informed, thank you, and would appreciate your not suggesting otherwise.

The fact that the paper PAYS her so that she may share her racist attitudes with others I find abhorrent. Therefore I refuse to support the rag. And yet somehow it seems I can still lead a rich and meaningful life without the AJC OR Cynthia Tucker. Ahh, the power of the human spirit!

PS: If you find
To me Tucker is as big a race baiter as Sharpton or Jessie Jackson. Simply looking at the numerous articles she has put out in regards to black victimization is proof of that. Without the race card she wouldnt even be employed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:10 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top