Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 08:55 PM

11 posts, read 52,056 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Henry Co. We have a house in construction. We are moving to the McDonough area. The boom in Henry Co. is going to be huge!!!
Henry Co. reminds me of the treasure coast--Port St. Lucie area of FL. 7 years ago. We rode the real estate wave down in South Florida, and did real well---We see the home prices in Henry Co. doubling like in FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasey
We're also looking relocating (from FL) and seeking a place in Henry Co. Preferable Stockbridge, McDonough, or Locust Grove. We're working with a realtor - who is a long-time family friend - and she mentioned that these three areas in particular, are seeing a huge boom (and are expected not only to grow population wise, but also in schools and jobs).

I asked her about East Lake Elementary and she agreed that it is an "excellent, excellent school". That's great to hear, not just from a realtor, but also from someone that lives in that area (thanks, Mbretl!)

So, it looks like we will narrow our search to areas within that school's district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2006, 09:11 PM

11 posts, read 52,056 times
Default 5 Hurricanes in 2 yrs... OUTRAEGEOUS HOME PRICES!!

I know that many Fl residents have different reasons for leaving. Insurance companies not covering homeowners and autos. The companies that are still in FL are raising their rates by 50-80%---all because of the hurricanes. The failing school system---FCAT etc.....
I can say that the 5 hurricanes, having over $15,000 worth of damage to our home, made us think about leaving a year ago. The outraegeous home prices....I mean our home selling price doubled to almost being three times the amount the we paid to build the home five years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027
what's going on in Florida? Why are so many people relocating?

Old 06-08-2006, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasey
We're also looking relocating (from FL) and seeking a place in Henry Co. Preferable Stockbridge, McDonough, or Locust Grove. We're working with a realtor - who is a long-time family friend - and she mentioned that these three areas in particular, are seeing a huge boom (and are expected not only to grow population wise, but also in schools and jobs).

I asked her about East Lake Elementary and she agreed that it is an "excellent, excellent school". That's great to hear, not just from a realtor, but also from someone that lives in that area (thanks, Mbretl!)

So, it looks like we will narrow our search to areas within that school's district.
I would have to agree. East Lake Elementary (and Union Grove Middle and High School which are the likely middle and high schools your kids would go to from East Lake) are fantastic schools. My daughter went to East Lake and is now about to enter her 3rd year at Union Grove Middle and we could not love the school or staff or administration more. We think you'll be exceedingly happy with that choice. McDonough is a lovely place to have kids grow up!!! We moved here 4 years ago from New Jersey and never want to leave Henry County. For those posting about property values - ours has increased significantly in the 4 years and I see no bubble that is going to do some serious correcting coming. I also know that we could NEVER EVER have afforded the house we live in in NJ - even with the increase in prices over the past 4 years it is still so insanely reasonable and resale seems to be doing well also.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,591 times
Default Relocating from VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2inHenryCoGA View Post
I would have to agree. East Lake Elementary (and Union Grove Middle and High School which are the likely middle and high schools your kids would go to from East Lake) are fantastic schools. My daughter went to East Lake and is now about to enter her 3rd year at Union Grove Middle and we could not love the school or staff or administration more. We think you'll be exceedingly happy with that choice. McDonough is a lovely place to have kids grow up!!! We moved here 4 years ago from New Jersey and never want to leave Henry County. For those posting about property values - ours has increased significantly in the 4 years and I see no bubble that is going to do some serious correcting coming. I also know that we could NEVER EVER have afforded the house we live in in NJ - even with the increase in prices over the past 4 years it is still so insanely reasonable and resale seems to be doing well also.
I am relocating from VA with my three children. I was wondering if East Lake Elementary had a good Pre-K program for a 5yr old? Also, do you or some one else have any suggestions on excellent apartment complexes in Henry County?

Thanks

Old 12-04-2006, 02:14 PM

84 posts, read 379,442 times
Default Tdiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
A friend of mine that used to live there told me that they are turning a lot of apartments into condos and it's forcing a lot of people out because they can't afford to stay and pay for a condo

Old 12-09-2006, 06:55 PM

7 posts, read 35,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
I'm leaving Miami for Henry County (Hampton) early next year. Miami is the next LA, you can't afford to live here on $30-40K a year with the rise in insurance and property taxes. The crime is senseless, I hate watching the news. The people here are so rude compared to Georgians who always seem so friendly and mannerable. For $200K in Miami you can proberly get a 2 bedroom condo or rundown house in the hood. It's terrible! I think the quality of life is a lot better in Georgia, but the traffic is still bad or worse than Miami and at least they don't have hurricanes in Georgia (maybe on the coast).

Old 01-04-2007, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,591 times
Default Why we leave FL and about Locust Grove

I'm sure I speak for most of us leaving S. Fl but the cost of living is just ridiculous. If the price of the home isn't bad enough just add in taxes and home owners insurance.
I have been living in Locust Grove since summer of 2006. Henry County is booming. Just take a drive down any road and you will see road construction and new communities going up. On a down side. I am a city girl at heart and I did not know this. I sometimes get cabin fever in this small town and have to drive into Atlanta for some urban life. And believe me when I say small town. You would think we lived 200 miles from a major city. But for the most part I think we made the right choice to buy a home here and raise our boys.
To humor those from FL my home owners insurance is $600.00 a year. My HOA is $475.00 a year and my taxes under $4,000.00. I live in a 5 bedroom/4 bath house on a private golf course.

Last edited by nbrito; 01-04-2007 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-04-2007, 07:50 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,538 times
Hampton may seem like a small town now but you just wait...

Old 01-05-2007, 05:25 PM

38 posts, read 199,648 times
Default leaving fl

we are leaving fl cuz its too hot! lol only kidding!!!!!!!! for one. prices are to high!!!!! and people are rude!!!! and there is no room......ga offers lower prices, larger homes for the price and if you want to take a road trip it doesnt take 10 hours to get out of state.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:16 PM

129 posts, read 659,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry88 View Post
we are leaving fl cuz its too hot! lol only kidding!!!!!!!! for one. prices are to high!!!!! and people are rude!!!! and there is no room......ga offers lower prices, larger homes for the price and if you want to take a road trip it doesnt take 10 hours to get out of state.
oh yes it does!!! Just drive down or up I-75 sometime especially on a friday, holiday or rush hour!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta