Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:00 PM

76 posts, read 161,618 times

Advertisements

Faith Lutheran has an excellent PreK4 and Kindergarten teacher(s)/assistant(s)...........they are top notch.

We are former Faith students who moved out of state last year due to job relocation.....otherwise we will still be there -- at least through the elementary school.

We had (before we moved) neighbors with children in middle school at both Walker and Trinity Chapel (out Macland Rd if you live in/near Powder Springs) and both were very happy with both schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 02:36 PM

125 posts, read 232,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Most of the schools are very good in West Cobb unless you live south of Dallas Hwy in the older part of Powder Springs. There are also some shady areas in Acworth because of the trailer parks and low end apartments. Other than that we have some of the finest schools in the state. Where in West Cobb do you live that has a bad elementary school. Is it in the areas I mentioned?
Yes, I live south of Dallas Hwy. I will apply for a school transfer if my child's private school search doesn't work out.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:39 PM

[quote=futureATLien;17605602]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
st benedicts have a year and half wait list - i went in a month ago.

oh wow! maybe their Kindergarten program is a better option
Hopefully so!

Old 02-06-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePrincessK View Post
Faith Lutheran has an excellent PreK4 and Kindergarten teacher(s)/assistant(s)...........they are top notch.

We are former Faith students who moved out of state last year due to job relocation.....otherwise we will still be there -- at least through the elementary school.

We had (before we moved) neighbors with children in middle school at both Walker and Trinity Chapel (out Macland Rd if you live in/near Powder Springs) and both were very happy with both schools.
That's good to know. Faith seems to be a good school. I have heard nothing but good things about Walker. I don't have Walker money, though: )

Old 02-06-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
st benedicts have a year and half wait list - i went in a month ago.

I went and toured Christian covenant with my wife. it was great - very small class sizes and all the children were well behaved (i have a 3 1/2 yr old and a 4 month old). If we stay in smyrna we will be sending our kids there
I will look into Covenant some more. That sounds good. I'm surprised about the St. Benedict's waiting list. If I apply there, I'll be sure to apply to at least 3 other schools.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 PM

121 posts, read 317,705 times
Just thought I'd give some info on the Spanish program thing at Wood Acres. It's a program called the International Spanish Academy (ISA). Kids take some of their classes in Spanish to the point where they're almost fluent by the time they get to college, they'll be fluent. Plus, they'll get a diploma from the department of education in Spain if they go to Walton in the program.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:38 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,263,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha33 View Post
Yes, I live south of Dallas Hwy. I will apply for a school transfer if my child's private school search doesn't work out.
Just go north of Dallas hwy and you will be happy with the county schools that feed into Harrison and Alatoona high schools. We moved literally about 3 miles last year get on the otherside of Dallas Hwy because we knew that Harrison was a much better alternative for our teenager than Hillgrove. While Hillgrove is a brand new school it pulls from way to many shady parts of Powder Springs and Marietta near Jim R. Miller Park. Know I know you are talking about elementary schools but as soon as you get out of McEachern or Hillgroves districts you will see the quality of education improve immensely and hey you could save tons on private school tuition.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 PM

97 posts, read 240,976 times
Wondering why people seem so against private schools on this board??

Old 02-07-2011, 08:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,998,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlias View Post
I'm not against them, but it seems silly to me to spent many thousands for a private school if you live in a decent public school feeder pattern and are already paying thousands for the local private school through property taxes.

Of course, people are free to throw away their money however they like, but...

Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,872,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlias View Post
According to CAPE | Private School Facts private schools educate 11% of American school children. So something on the order of 9 out of 10 American families use public schools. I haven't noticed any posts above that seem particularly "against" private schools, but on the other hand, any public forum like this one, that doesn't have a primary focus on education, is apt to have 9 out of 10 participants who are parents using public schools, not private.

Perhaps behind the question was the idea, sometimes expressed by private school enthusiasts, that "everyone knows" private schools are vastly superior to public schools, and only people who aren't really committed to their childrens' education use public schools. However, many of us who were educated in public schools and/or send our children to public schools, simply don't agree with this point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta