U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:42 PM

16,381 posts, read 28,492,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
According to CAPE | Private School Facts private schools educate 11% of American school children. So something on the order of 9 out of 10 American families use public schools. I haven't noticed any posts above that seem particularly "against" private schools, but on the other hand, any public forum like this one, that doesn't have a primary focus on education, is apt to have 9 out of 10 participants who are parents using public schools, not private.

Perhaps behind the question was the idea, sometimes expressed by private school enthusiasts, that "everyone knows" private schools are vastly superior to public schools, and only people who aren't really committed to their childrens' education use public schools. However, many of us who were educated in public schools and/or send our children to public schools, simply don't agree with this point of view.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 AM

125 posts, read 228,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Just go north of Dallas hwy and you will be happy with the county schools that feed into Harrison and Alatoona high schools. We moved literally about 3 miles last year get on the otherside of Dallas Hwy because we knew that Harrison was a much better alternative for our teenager than Hillgrove. While Hillgrove is a brand new school it pulls from way to many shady parts of Powder Springs and Marietta near Jim R. Miller Park. Know I know you are talking about elementary schools but as soon as you get out of McEachern or Hillgroves districts you will see the quality of education improve immensely and hey you could save tons on private school tuition.
You make a good point. It's funny how there can be a really good school adjacent to a not so good one. I would also be moving a few miles if I did that. I'll look into that. Overall, I really like this area-just not the public schools. Maybe a short distance move is in my future.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 AM

125 posts, read 228,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I'm not against them, but it seems silly to me to spent many thousands for a private school if you live in a decent public school feeder pattern and are already paying thousands for the local private school through property taxes.

Of course, people are free to throw away their money however they like, but...
I don't, which is why I'm looking for a private school for my child. I think there are good, okay and bad public schools out there. Currently the only choice I feel comfortable with is to transfer my child to another public school, but Cobb County doesn't make that list available until June and I wouldn't know until July. So, that's just a back-up option at this point. So, sending my child to private school makes sense. Long term, I hope to move to a better school district and send my child to public middle school and high school.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,409 times
If you are looking into Saint Benedict's, it is a new school and has had already a high turnover rate of teachers and there is not much of a curriculum and their teachers are paid much less than the public schools. Most teachers there are waiting until the public schools hire again. The kids there are very well behaved and if that is why you are spending money on a private school: association with other kids, then maybe I can see why you might send your kids there.

Look very closely at them though. There is no technology, no teacher training, no multiculturalism. Very risky.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:17 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,001,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
We moved literally about 3 miles last year get on the otherside of Dallas Hwy because we knew that Harrison was a much better alternative for our teenager than Hillgrove. While Hillgrove is a brand new school it pulls from way to many shady parts of Powder Springs and Marietta near Jim R. Miller Park. Know I know you are talking about elementary schools but as soon as you get out of McEachern or Hillgroves districts you will see the quality of education improve immensely and hey you could save tons on private school tuition.
Heaven forbid your kid goes to school with a few black kids at Hillgrove (even though Hillgrove has a large majority white population).

If you go to greatschools.org and compare the test scores at Hillgrove vs. Harrison, you will notice that they are alomst identical; Hillgrove is rated a 9 out of 10, Harrison a 10 out of 10. We live in the Kemp/Lovingood/Hillgrove district (gasp - south of Dallas Hwy). To say that you can't find a good school south of Harrison is a ridiculous statement.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:23 PM

559 posts, read 811,248 times
Quote:
I'm not against them, but it seems silly to me to spent many thousands for a private school if you live in a decent public school feeder pattern and are already paying thousands for the local private school through property taxes.

Of course, people are free to throw away their money however they like, but...

And if they don't have a decent public school?

I was raised in public school and graduated from UGA, and my mom is a retired public school teacher of 30 years.

That being said, our elementary school in Smyrna is one of the worst in all of ATL. It's constantly on probation for not making AYP, has over 50% student turnover every year, and is under consideration for being closed by the Cobb School Board.

Is that enough for you to consider another schooling option?

Or is that still throwing money away however I like?

Old 05-29-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherwhoknows View Post
If you are looking into Saint Benedict's, it is a new school and has had already a high turnover rate of teachers and there is not much of a curriculum and their teachers are paid much less than the public schools. Most teachers there are waiting until the public schools hire again. The kids there are very well behaved and if that is why you are spending money on a private school: association with other kids, then maybe I can see why you might send your kids there.

Look very closely at them though. There is no technology, no teacher training, no multiculturalism. Very risky.

We didn't choose St. Benedict's, but that's about opposite of our experience w/ them.

Our daughter did spend time at Vinings Academy, which in some way spawned St. Benedict's. We found it to be very multicultural.

Maybe a little disorganized because of the newness of everything, but definitely multicultural.

Lots of families we know are at St. Benedict's and they all love it. That's hardly a scientific sample, but we hear only good things about them.

It wasn't the right fit for us and our daughter, but was definitely worth considering.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:49 PM

11,335 posts, read 25,599,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
And if they don't have a decent public school?

I was raised in public school and graduated from UGA, and my mom is a retired public school teacher of 30 years.

That being said, our elementary school in Smyrna is one of the worst in all of ATL. It's constantly on probation for not making AYP, has over 50% student turnover every year, and is under consideration for being closed by the Cobb School Board.

Is that enough for you to consider another schooling option?

Or is that still throwing money away however I like?
Since I explicitly said "...if you live in a decent public school feeder pattern...", my comment obviously doesn't apply.

Don't people read??!?

Old 05-29-2011, 06:10 PM

16,381 posts, read 28,492,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
... We live in the Kemp/Lovingood/Hillgrove district (gasp - south of Dallas Hwy)...

Go Oakleigh + Broadlands!

Beautiful neighborhoods...

You could live in another part of Kemp/Lovinggood/Hillgrove, of course.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Since I explicitly said "...if you live in a decent public school feeder pattern...", my comment obviously doesn't apply.

Don't people read??!?

Perhaps, if I hadn't spent 17 years in GA's public schools and universities, then my reading comprehension would be more proficient.

Just kidding. Yes, I can and do read, but I was trying to make a point and defend people on this board who consider all education options and are really just trying to find the best fit for their kid.

I'm not a private-school elitist or even a defender. Like I said, my whole education (prior to grad school) was spent in public schools and my mom taught in public schools for 30 years.

But, I'm also not a public-school nazi like many on here who take any thread referencing private schools as an opportunity to get on their soapbox.

There's a place for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta