Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:13 PM

30 posts, read 54,285 times

Advertisements

The most important factor in your child's achievement as it relates to the school environment will be the relationship between your child and the teacher. To that end, the very best way to choose a school is to visit the school, more than once if possible, and talk to the teacher that will be teaching your child. It's also important to meet the principal. Get a feel for the school and the "climate" of the school by walking the halls. Visit more than one school so you can compare each school's offerings, curriculum, etc. Get the facts too - test scores, the school's achievements, view school websites and facebook pages, etc.

Many people will visit 5, 10, 15 and more homes when they are looking to buy a house. They'll even visit a home more than once. Homes are important, but most won't purchase a home just by looking at it on the Internet or going by just what they hear. To that end, I recommend that parents do the same type of due diligence and even more when looking for the right school for their child.

I am familiar with Springdale, Morningside, Mary Lin, Toomer, Kindezi and King Springs. They could all fit your child, though they are each different (and children are different). But be sure to visit schools and also let your child take a look too. I cannot stress how important it is to talk to the teacher and the principal (multiple teachers if possible). Get a tour of the school. And know that the worst teacher in the "best" school or "best" school district, is more than likely not what you want.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 10:29 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnscd71 View Post
The most important factor in your child's achievement as it relates to the school environment will be the relationship between your child and the teacher. To that end, the very best way to choose a school is to visit the school, more than once if possible, and talk to the teacher that will be teaching your child. It's also important to meet the principal. Get a feel for the school and the "climate" of the school by walking the halls. Visit more than one school so you can compare each school's offerings, curriculum, etc. Get the facts too - test scores, the school's achievements, view school websites and facebook pages, etc.

Many people will visit 5, 10, 15 and more homes when they are looking to buy a house. They'll even visit a home more than once. Homes are important, but most won't purchase a home just by looking at it on the Internet or going by just what they hear. To that end, I recommend that parents do the same type of due diligence and even more when looking for the right school for their child.

I am familiar with Springdale, Morningside, Mary Lin, Toomer, Kindezi and King Springs. They could all fit your child, though they are each different (and children are different). But be sure to visit schools and also let your child take a look too. I cannot stress how important it is to talk to the teacher and the principal (multiple teachers if possible). Get a tour of the school. And know that the worst teacher in the "best" school or "best" school district, is more than likely not what you want.

Best of luck!

Great post.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:04 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
After King Springs, don't forget to look into homes/neighborhoods in the Nickajack, Brown, and Mableton districts--if need be.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:59 AM

470 posts, read 1,278,471 times
Wow - Thanks John!

After comparing test scores, data, class size, etc - I have ruled out the smyrna area I beleive unless I go private.

I visited the decatur area yesterday and came away very impressed! to john's point, the next thing I am going to do is call and talk to Oakhurst and Winnona Park. I really cant afford candler park...

I really think the early childhood development center college heights is such a great idea. That would take even more financial burden off of me!

I toured a bunch of homes to get a feel of where my money would take me. I think I have a good idea now.

My next step is touring each school.

Please give me your opinion's on Oakhurst and Winnona Park.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:37 AM

461 posts, read 1,068,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
Wow - Thanks John!

After comparing test scores, data, class size, etc - I have ruled out the smyrna area I beleive unless I go private.

I visited the decatur area yesterday and came away very impressed! to john's point, the next thing I am going to do is call and talk to Oakhurst and Winnona Park. I really cant afford candler park...

I really think the early childhood development center college heights is such a great idea. That would take even more financial burden off of me!

I toured a bunch of homes to get a feel of where my money would take me. I think I have a good idea now.

My next step is touring each school.

Please give me your opinion's on Oakhurst and Winnona Park.
Both are wonderful, I have emailed you previously so you already know what I think!! Another interesting thing is that starting 2012 school year, the 4th-5th grade academy for all of Decatur City Schools will be 5th Ave in Oakhurst at 5th Ave and Oakview Road. Glennwood Academy has been the 4th and 5th grade school, but will be turned into the 4th K-3 elementary school for Decatur City. Additionally, living in Oakhurst or Winnona Park (College Heights is technically in the Winnona Park district even though it's on the Oakhurst side of Candler and serves all of Decatur City) as opposed to living North of the tracks, gives you easier access to the new 4th/5th grade school, Renfroe Middle and even Decatur High once your children get older. It's the best of both worlds IMO.

Last edited by oakhurstlauren; 11-12-2010 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Bad grammar!!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:26 PM

I called college heights and they have a year and a half waiting list for the 0 to 3 program! So I guess i need to find another daycare option if I move there.

Can people give me some other daycare options for my 3 1/2 yr old and my 1 month old? I would like to visit them as well.

also found a home on meade where the elementary school is - Thinking about that one. my tour guide yesterday sold me on this area!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Ah Mead Rd. Well, when I first moved to Oakhurst we rented that lil red house directly across the street from Oakhurst Elementary, that's the road that we first fell in love with. So glad to hear you liked the area.

For preschool, you should check out:
» Preschool in Atlanta and Decatur – Oakhurst Cooperative Preschool!
The Phoenix School, Decatur, GA: exceptional childcare for infants - Pre-K
Decatur Montessori School
or even, First Baptist Church Decatur, GA ~ Home this one my son went to afterschool here for about a year and I was very happy with them then, it's been a few years, but they have an all day program as well from what I remember.

Good luck with your search and congrats on your new baby!!

Old 11-12-2010, 04:07 PM

FYI - The person I talked with who answered the phone at college heights was not very nice... Very gruff with every question...

We are going back down there tomorrow with the whole family to check it out.

My wife is worried about the grocery shopping - is there a good publix close?

I am looking for a 4 bedroom but my price point of 430K wont get very much. Should I target a particular area? Any advice?

Old 11-12-2010, 04:30 PM

There are two publix pretty close, one on North Decatur Rd. and then one on Glenwood in East Atlanta. Even better is Dekalb Farmer's Market.

4br should be doable at 430k in Oakhurst or Winnona.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
My wife is worried about the grocery shopping - is there a good publix close?
I go to Your Dekalb Farmers Market - A World Market - Atlanta's Best Source Of Affordable Organic Food The selection is amazing Not to mention the quality and the prices!

It's not far from anywhere in Decatur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta