Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 04:36 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times

Advertisements

A weave store would make a lot of money. That would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 04:40 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,507 times
There are two hairstylists on the mile. James Madison, and there is another on the second floor of the Viewpoint building. A barber shop opened up recently in Colony Square.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
I would like to see an Apple store and my girlfriend would like a Topshop. I feel like in order to make Midtown successful there needs to be at least some stores that don't currently exist in the metro area to get people to come and shop there.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:18 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
Macy's, GNC, and a consumer electronics/computer store.

Also by golly we need a KFC and a Chik-Fil-A right in Midtown!!!

The problem with Midtown shopping is that there are a few highly useful stores like B&N, Publix, CVS, and Office Depot, but they are between two MARTA stops and not really on the Mile (well except CVS). Aside from a few nail, tan, and shipping shops, the rest of Midtown shopping involved high end furniture/appliances and designer men's clothing for gay men who prefer to be considered fashionable.

If I was a wealthy professional with a job who cared about modern trends I would be happier with the current selection, but I am a graduating student working on getting a job who will most likely remain a stingy traditional SOB. Therefore I would like to see a critical mass of people like me in Midtown who can support an average department store (Dillard's in AS is great, but I don't want to have to drive or rely on the AS shuttle). I also want to see more cheap bars/restaurants as is offered in Poncey/Highlands. I would also like a food market closer to 14th St with fresh food and a small but good alcoholic selection. What else would be good are stores for electronics goods and consumer goods (obviously not big box, but more along the lines of Wolf Cameras and Bob's Computers and Billy's "Cheap American" Appliances That Still Work Well).

I just had to buy some more furniture for a vacating room in my apartment and I wanted to walk to CB2 and pick out a few pieces. Well when I saw that a plain red ugly sectional cost $1200 I was completely turned off. I drove to Ikea and found some great deals and furnished an entire room for less than the CB2 amount for the plain and ugly red sectional. I guess CB2 along with all of the other small fancy stores that Midtown has there is enough evidence to suggest there is enough of a critical mass of those customers, but I would feel that especially in this economy there are enough people like me who just want some average stores where we can afford the merchandise and justify the price.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 PM

There is a Chick Fil A in Colony Square. It's open on Sat until 3pm.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:39 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
There is a Chick Fil A in Colony Square. It's open on Sat until 3pm.
Lol maybe the Midtown Alliance should also start a campaign to educate the public on what's already there.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:52 PM

Just a note about Colony Square: There is a food court that's open during the week, and Chick Fil a, Starbucks, are open on weekends. So if you are in the area during the week and need cheap eats, there you go.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:00 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Lol maybe the Midtown Alliance should also start a campaign to educate the public on what's already there.
That would work.

Better signage maybe?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:13 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
I think another Chic fil A could do well in that area. There seems to be enough traffic. If it is a bit further down near the Fox it could make a killing and also serve as a flagship store. I want to see a few decent sized retailers that aren't yet in Atlanta. When I hear midtown mile I envision something similar to Broadway in SoHo. There isn't anything insanely upscale along that stretch. Just popular stores that tend to appeal to the younger audience. Someone mentioned TopShop which could work and I still demand a Uniqlo. An REI may work there as well. Jsimms mentioned a grocery store and I thought of Dean & Deluca. Throw in an Old Navy just for the hell of it too.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:32 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
I think a Forever 21/XXI Forever would do well too. Even though there is one in Atlantic Station, I wonder if another H&M would work - in places like NYC they have stores close together but the population density is higher - I still think it might be possible. An Apple store would do well I think, a book store (Joseph Beth Booksellers?), Dean & Deluca or some type of specialty grocery store, Topshop could work and probably be a "destination store", I can see a J.Crew, Marc by Marc Jacobs (more affordable version of the regular store), for chain restaurants would like to be able to walk to a Chipotle...

I think for the most part, the stores have to be different than Atlantic Station and even Lenox Square to get people to come to the Midtown Mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta