Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:37 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times

Advertisements

As someone who just moved to Atlanta from the Midwest, I thought I would offer up my initial impressions for others who are considering moving here and for the folks who've been here a long time to agree or disagree with.

Cost of living - While it's not dirt cheap, I've found that most things are pretty affordable. Fuel, groceries, and of course housing are considerably cheaper than what I had previously been paying. My auto insurance did go up though, but I think that has more to do with living in a popular, high-traffic area.

People - In general, people seem very friendly here. Sure, you'll run into people who have a lousy attitude. But for the most part, I haven't observed a lot of the crabbiness I saw in the north. The women sure do seem more attractive here. Or maybe it just seems that way because they're friendlier.

Traffic - I was lucky to end up with a job that allowed for a really short commute. But this job is only for a few months so I'm sure my next job won't have such an easy commute. But what I've observed thus far hasn't been terrible or at least any worse than what I've seen in places like DC or Chicago. It does seem like people are slow to make left turns and having freeway exit ramps that are only one lane probably wasn't such a good idea. Other contributors to traffic slowdowns are all the twists and turns and hills that make a lot of drivers slow down. But like all cities, I think the trick is just to learn the backroads and how to time things better.

Food - I've discovered too many great places to eat and have probably put on 5 pounds since arriving. But it's nice to know that you can pretty much find any kind of food you're looking for.

Public Transportation - I took the MARTA train from the airport and couldn't believe how easy, not to mention cheap, it was. In every other city I've lived in, coming home from the airport was a real pain. And it's nice not having to pay for parking or taking a shuttle. I also like the fact that a number of the MARTA stations are underground. So standing out in the rain or cold/heat waiting for your train.

Weather - I was lucky to get here after the summer ended. Except for some rainy days and a brief cold spell, I've been enjoying the weather. What's been amusing for me is seeing how little the temperature has to drop before people start wearing coats and gloves or how people have to warm their cars even though it's not even below freezing.

Attractions - I haven't had time to visit a lot of places yet. While no one will mistake Atlanta for DC or NY in terms of tourist attractions, it does seem like there's a decent amount of things to see here between downtown, Buckhead and Midtown.

Pace of Life - I heard things move a little slower down here and, so far, that's exactly what I've observed. Service at restaurants takes a little longer, which is good if you don't want to be rushed, but bad if you're hungry or need to be somewhere. Whenever I go out stores, it doesn't seem like anyone is in a particular hurry. Maybe that's why some drivers take so long to make left turns.

Job Market - As I mentioned in another thread, the jobs in my field (IT) seem to still be there. I can't comment about other fields though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,712,763 times
Welcome...

what area did you decide on?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:24 AM

314 posts, read 639,762 times
Quote:
People
Quote:
- In general, people seem very friendly here. Sure, you'll run into people who have a lousy attitude. But for the most part, I haven't observed a lot of the crabbiness I saw in the north. The women sure do seem more attractive here. Or maybe it just seems that way because they're friendlier.

Not sure where in the midwest you're coming from, but this is spot-on.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Welcome...

what area did you decide on?
I decided to get a place in Dunwoody near Perimeter Mall. It's very convenient to the train as well as the 400 and 285. There's a nice mix of urban and suburban elements. I'm also renting so I can easily relocate to another part of the city if I find something better. I think a lot of it will depend on where I end up working.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:40 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,712,763 times
Not a bad area and you have alot of choices. Good pick

Old 11-08-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
[b]

Not sure where in the midwest you're coming from, but this is spot-on.
Chicago. The people tend to be pretty corn-fed. And I think the weather and cost of living have a way of putting people in a perpetual bad mood.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,571,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
As someone who just moved to Atlanta from the Midwest, I thought I would offer up my initial impressions for others who are considering moving here and for the folks who've been here a long time to agree or disagree with.

Cost of living - While it's not dirt cheap, I've found that most things are pretty affordable. Fuel, groceries, and of course housing are considerably cheaper than what I had previously been paying. My auto insurance did go up though, but I think that has more to do with living in a popular, high-traffic area.

People - In general, people seem very friendly here. Sure, you'll run into people who have a lousy attitude. But for the most part, I haven't observed a lot of the crabbiness I saw in the north. The women sure do seem more attractive here. Or maybe it just seems that way because they're friendlier.

Traffic - I was lucky to end up with a job that allowed for a really short commute. But this job is only for a few months so I'm sure my next job won't have such an easy commute. But what I've observed thus far hasn't been terrible or at least any worse than what I've seen in places like DC or Chicago. It does seem like people are slow to make left turns and having freeway exit ramps that are only one lane probably wasn't such a good idea. Other contributors to traffic slowdowns are all the twists and turns and hills that make a lot of drivers slow down. But like all cities, I think the trick is just to learn the backroads and how to time things better.

Food - I've discovered too many great places to eat and have probably put on 5 pounds since arriving. But it's nice to know that you can pretty much find any kind of food you're looking for.

Public Transportation - I took the MARTA train from the airport and couldn't believe how easy, not to mention cheap, it was. In every other city I've lived in, coming home from the airport was a real pain. And it's nice not having to pay for parking or taking a shuttle. I also like the fact that a number of the MARTA stations are underground. So standing out in the rain or cold/heat waiting for your train.

Weather - I was lucky to get here after the summer ended. Except for some rainy days and a brief cold spell, I've been enjoying the weather. What's been amusing for me is seeing how little the temperature has to drop before people start wearing coats and gloves or how people have to warm their cars even though it's not even below freezing.

Attractions - I haven't had time to visit a lot of places yet. While no one will mistake Atlanta for DC or NY in terms of tourist attractions, it does seem like there's a decent amount of things to see here between downtown, Buckhead and Midtown.

Pace of Life - I heard things move a little slower down here and, so far, that's exactly what I've observed. Service at restaurants takes a little longer, which is good if you don't want to be rushed, but bad if you're hungry or need to be somewhere. Whenever I go out stores, it doesn't seem like anyone is in a particular hurry. Maybe that's why some drivers take so long to make left turns.

Job Market - As I mentioned in another thread, the jobs in my field (IT) seem to still be there. I can't comment about other fields though.
Sounds good! Sounds Honest...where you from man?

Old 11-09-2010, 08:29 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,536,422 times
Nice write up and welcome!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:01 AM

10 posts, read 21,068 times
We moved here from the Midwest in 2009 - from MO - and I have to agree with most of that. I do think the cost of living is a bit higher here than MO. I don't work, DH is fortunate to work here in Woodstock, so he has a 13 minute commute. Love the little Woodstock area so far, we've made a lot of friends and really enjoying the South. The heat here, from what I have observed, is almost identical to MO. Sometimes it's more humid in MO, LOL. My only complaint so far is that the winters are colder than I had anticipated!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkie View Post
We moved here from the Midwest in 2009 - from MO - and I have to agree with most of that. I do think the cost of living is a bit higher here than MO. I don't work, DH is fortunate to work here in Woodstock, so he has a 13 minute commute. Love the little Woodstock area so far, we've made a lot of friends and really enjoying the South. The heat here, from what I have observed, is almost identical to MO. Sometimes it's more humid in MO, LOL. My only complaint so far is that the winters are colder than I had anticipated!
I've spent time in MO as well and I agree that the cost of living is a bit higher. But I also see that the salaries, at least in my field, make up for that. Your husband is lucky to have found work in Woodstock. I can only imagine how much you would hate it if you lived out there and worked in the city. I've run into a number of people who live out in places like Cumming or Kennesaw and work in the city. Yikes! As for the weather, I haven't experienced summer or winter here yet. But I know what summer is like in MO. People tell me the humidity here is awful, but I don't remember it being so great in MO either. But even if it's worse, I'll take that over brutal Great Lakes winters. Unlike a lot of people who come from the north, I'm keeping realistic expectations about the winter here. I know it gets cold and there will be ice storms. But unless you get 30 below wind chills, buckets of snow, and days and days of no sun, I can't imagine it being worse than what I just left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta