Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:26 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,961,913 times

Advertisements

Parent of a remediated dyslexic here. Schenck goes through 6th grade. Is your daughter considered remediated? As in, she has completed a program of some sort and now just needs accommodations? With an IEP and some strong parental willpower, the public schools should accommodate her needs (extra time etc), however, if she still needs more coaching before integrating into regular school, I would recommend Atlanta Speech School or Schenck. If she is so severely affected that you do not see her thriving in regular school, look at The Howard School. Woodward Academy also has a transitions program which would potentially be a great fit for your child--a small classroom w/ specialized instruction for learning disabilities, but in with regular kids for art/music/PE. . .A lot of private options if you can pay the tuition. Holy Spirit and St. Francis would also be a good half-step between full-on dyslexia school and regular school. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 9,541 times
Default Please Update - Thank You!!

Thank you so much for responding to my question regarding Atlanta's public schools. My daughter was diagnosed with Dyslexia and Dyscalculia last September. She was immediately placed in our elementary school's "Take Flight" program which is designed to be a 2-year program to teach strategies to kids with Dyslexia. She has completed the first year and has made incredible improvement. She has a 504 in place that allows her extra time to take tests which has made all the difference in the world for her. She is a child who has been able to compensate amazing well - hence her late diagnosis (which wasn't diagnosed by her school, but done privately). Her Dyslexia is definitely not severe, it could be much worse. We will be moving this summer, somewhere North of Atlanta. We pretty much have our choice of where we want to live. The places we are looking include: Marietta, Sandy Springs, Roswell, and maybe Alpharetta (a little too far North). Once diagnosed, my daughter has done very well in her public school and we would prefer to continue in that kind of setting. If you can recommend elementary schools in/and or around the previous mentioned areas that have programs geared toward children with Dyslexia/Dyscalculia, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for your responses. Since I have never even been to GA, your comments are again much appreciated.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:09 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,602,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jepmail00 View Post
Thank you so much for responding to my question regarding Atlanta's public schools. My daughter was diagnosed with Dyslexia and Dyscalculia last September. She was immediately placed in our elementary school's "Take Flight" program which is designed to be a 2-year program to teach strategies to kids with Dyslexia. She has completed the first year and has made incredible improvement. She has a 504 in place that allows her extra time to take tests which has made all the difference in the world for her. She is a child who has been able to compensate amazing well - hence her late diagnosis (which wasn't diagnosed by her school, but done privately). Her Dyslexia is definitely not severe, it could be much worse. We will be moving this summer, somewhere North of Atlanta. We pretty much have our choice of where we want to live. The places we are looking include: Marietta, Sandy Springs, Roswell, and maybe Alpharetta (a little too far North). Once diagnosed, my daughter has done very well in her public school and we would prefer to continue in that kind of setting. If you can recommend elementary schools in/and or around the previous mentioned areas that have programs geared toward children with Dyslexia/Dyscalculia, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for your responses. Since I have never even been to GA, your comments are again much appreciated.
I don't think you are going to find programs like you are looking for in a GA public school. As mentioned earlier in this thread Ga doesn't really recognize dyslexia as an LD.

It doesn't sound like she has an IEP but has only a 504 is that correct?

Old 06-02-2016, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 9,541 times
Default Please Update - Thank You!!

Yes, she has a 504 Plan (not an IEP) which allows her extra time on tests, the use of special electronics i.e., Franklin Speller, graded differently for spelling, preferential seating, etc.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:20 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,602,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jepmail00 View Post
Yes, she has a 504 Plan (not an IEP) which allows her extra time on tests, the use of special electronics i.e., Franklin Speller, graded differently for spelling, preferential seating, etc.
A 504 is worthless in terms of instructional strategies and IEPs are really hard to get in GA for kids who have normal intelligence and are testing well.

If you are somewhere with a few more weeks of school, you might see if they will do an IEP for you requiring specific, research based, interventions for dyslexia.

Otherwise, if you can make it work financially, there are some great private schools that serve kids with dyslexia well. Those kids go onto traditional schools once the skills are mastered.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:33 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,815,662 times
Lastminutemom is right; you're not going to get direct remediation for issues related to dyslexia with a 504 plan. There will be modifications that could be helpful to children with any number of issues (e.g., extended testing time). If you want direct remediation, you need her to be immersed in a program utilizing the Orton-Gillingham method (or Wilson method). It's just not going to happen in GA public schools. If you feel she is largely remediated already and can skate by with the 504, then go for it. I can tell you from experience, though, that even kids with IEP's for SLD's sometimes don't get the accommodations that are written into their plans. I knew a child with a diagnosis of Disorder of Written Expression who was supposed to be given special electronics and he never even saw it until months later (after Mom had to throw a fit about it).

One other option is to use the 504 and supplement with private Orton-Gillingham based tutoring. But, remember, places like Kumon are not good for kids with dyslexia (they'll tell you otherwise, but you need a tutor with the right training).

Old 11-01-2016, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,508 times
Default North Fulton Schools

Agree with others in that, while some progress is being made, GA publics schools are generally not a good resource for families with dyslexic children. The Atlanta area is home to some excellent private school choices that provide total immersion for teaching your child with dyslexia. Swift and Schenck, though different in approach, are the leaders in dyslexic education the Atlanta area.

For your relocation to Alpharetta, Swift School is closer. The school serves students through 8th grade and is located in Roswell, which is part of the North Fulton area and intertwines with Alpharetta.

Simply put, Schenck School is more of a clinical/remediation approach, where Swift is more a holistic approoach and uses the Orton-Gillingham method and multi-sensory approaches to educate students and help develop confidence and self-advocacy skills. At the very least, these schools do offer tutoring programs for outside students, too.

How do I know? I researched both options, but chose Swift over Schenck for the holistic approach. My child, he felt defeated. He needed the education and the support to believe in himself and advocate for himself.

Give Swift a call and see what you think. Speak to the Admission Director and setup a tour. 678.205.4988. theswiftschool.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta