Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,411 times

Advertisements

We have a 8ftprivacy fence along the addition, building the fence as close as we could to the structure to reclaim some land. (The windows on the home open to a wood fence, that is how close this addition is.) The new owners are doing a lease to purchase and have since informed us that they plan to take the little one story home and go up to three stories....essentailly building on top of the illegal addition that was added 15 years agao. Is there ANYTHING we can do? We live in town, so this monstrocity will be right on top of our little bungalow, eliminating any privacy that we do have. I would plant large trees, but that side is our driveway, going all the way to the backyard where we park. In fact, the fence is actually built on our driveway becase the addition left no green space. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 02:35 PM

10,733 posts, read 13,271,657 times
Call a real estate lawyer. In what part of town do you live?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:38 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,907,123 times
Well if the addition they are added on to/above it was built without permits/approvals I would notify your town Building/Code Enf dept. They will require that the addition be brought up to code, fee/fines paid, before they will approve plans for the new addition. If the 'New' addition must meet the building code and zoning rules they can build it with out your approval. If zoning rules, (Setbacks, Height, etc) do not allow it they then need to get a varience to do it, and you can go and speak againts it. But its up to the zoneing board to allow/disallow it.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:38 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,516,347 times
I know all areas are different, but isn't there a no-building line from the property line? I know on our survey there is a 10' dotted line along the entire property line in which it's forbidden to build any permanent structure. If I were you, I would call the City building code enforcement dept to come out. I think they may have to actually tear the structure down.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:40 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,516,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Well if the addition they are added on to/above it was built without permits/approvals I would notify your town Building/Code Enf dept. They will require that the addition be brought up to code, fee/fines paid, before they will approve plans for the new addition. If the 'New' addition must meet the building code and zoning rules they can build it with out your approval. If zoning rules, (Setbacks, Height, etc) do not allow it they then need to get a varience to do it, and you can go and speak againts it. But its up to the zoneing board to allow/disallow it.
Much more intelligently stated than my post. I second this.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:42 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,912,415 times
check with planning / zoning / code enforcement in your jurisdiction. if the additional it is literally and objectively on your land, have a surveyor confirm and make them either demo or buy your property.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:04 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,692,649 times
Very interesting case.

Are you sure that part of the building is actually on your property? Was it surveyed by anyone?

Did y'all come to any kind of agreement 15 years ago to settle the issue?

What did the city/county say about it back then?

And I agree with the other posters. I would start by going to the county/city and make sure everything is to code and permitted first and possibly get a real estate attorney if needed.

Good luck!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,770,712 times
At one point there was an old archaic law that said if you build a fence near a property line, you essentially "give" any of your property on the neighbor's side of your fence to them. Years ago there was something about this on the news where some folks built a fence and 5 ft of their property that then fell on the neighbor's side was given to the neighbors due to this old law. I'm not a lawyer and have no idea if due to cases like that if in the years since the law was overturned, but you might have given up some of your property to your neighbors if you did indeed build an 8 ft privacy fence near the lines.

But as stated, you need to seek the advice of a LAWYER, not web postings, about this and the other concerns you have about them. Please do that. No one here could or should offer legal advice on the matter via text on a board screen. Good luck in your case.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:05 AM

17,404 posts, read 65,568,867 times
I'm curious- how do you know the addition is "illegal"? At least in a technical sense.
Have you made the trip to the convening authority and sought a copy of a plat, and or a recorded deed of a variance (if one was actually filed)?
Or would this be a case of previous ownership (your home), allowing the encroachment?
How long have you owned your home?
And did you have a survey done prior to closing- or did you rely on a previous survey?

As previously stated- you can petition any addition to the board of review (code enforcement/ building, planning dept).

Old 11-19-2010, 11:30 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,907,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
At one point there was an old archaic law that said if you build a fence near a property line, you essentially "give" any of your property on the neighbor's side of your fence to them. Years ago there was something about this on the news where some folks built a fence and 5 ft of their property that then fell on the neighbor's side was given to the neighbors due to this old law. I'm not a lawyer and have no idea if due to cases like that if in the years since the law was overturned, but you might have given up some of your property to your neighbors if you did indeed build an 8 ft privacy fence near the lines.
I can confirm your story is true as it happened to my father. The story involved a fence he put, 30 feet of property on the other side of the fence that the neighbor decided to built a two story garage on, and sledge hammer.

OP, I recommend not using a sledgehammer to resolve this issue and agree that you should seek legal counsel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta