Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 03:09 PM

9 posts, read 13,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I remember the Beverage Warehouse(original location) was pretty much the last store as you went north on Hwy 9...loooong gap after that before you reached A-retta. A-retta Hwy was two lane at that point and they had a cop directing traffic in/out of the parking lot. The week before the 'Hooch Raft Race was unbelievable in beer sales! This was 1980 or so.

Martin's Landing was a nationally known pehnomenon...who would think of building something THAT elaborate THAT far 'out of town'.

Gabby's Pizza had pita bread sandwiches long before everyone 'discovered' pita bread.

Beau Rivage Apts were considered 'luxury' units back then.

The Public House on the Square was the first nice restaurant I visited in Roswell, 1980. That stretch of Atlanta Rd/Roswell Rd/A-retta Hwy/Hwy 9 was my first encounter with a reversible travel lane! Even back then, the traffic along there was horrible.

Ah, memories!
I live on that reversible road. Every so often I hear "crash".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 03:11 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,959 times
In 1931, Roswell was ceded into Fulton from Cobb County to facilitate the merger of Milton and Fulton counties. Milton county had failed due to tough economic times.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbird213 View Post
I live on that reversible road. Every so often I hear "crash".
If it was last June on a rainy night, then it was me. All things considered, the only possible thing that went right is I was coming from Land of a Thousand Hills Coffee House - and by that comment, there could have been way worse places I was coming from at night.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:06 PM

455 posts, read 598,140 times
I'm a GenX'r and a child of the 70's/80's

I lived in Martin's Landing, Hunter's Cove, Spring Ridge, Barrington Farms and Horseshoe Bend starting in 1979 and left home in 1997. Went to Crestwood HS also

- Loved Gabby's Pizza back in the late 70's/early 80's!
- Po-Folks Restuarant
- Richway/K-Mart
- Circus Funhouse
- When "The Gap" in the Roswell mall looked like a log cabin
- When the Roswell Library was in the mall too
- The "Iron" Skillet
- The old farmhouse on Alpharetta Hwy that had the donkey painted on it (sat where the hospital sits now)
- Tommy's Hobby Shop
- The ice cream shoppe
- First video store in Roswell next to "Yellow Submarine" sandwich shop on Old Alabama
- Mighty Casey's Fast Food
- Mr. Pride Carwash
- First ATM in Roswell was a "Tilly" at the bank behind the old 7-11
- "Call of the Wild" Camping and Hunting shop
- The Cake Shoppe
- Danver's Fast Food
- Rolling skating by the Goodwill
- Rolling Blading when King's Market was first built (I miss Lionel Playworld)
- Mt. Pisgah was out in the boonies and the elementary school at Eves Rd and Haynes Bridge was ACTUALLY OPEN and in use
- "Devil Worship Road" was a gravel road and nothing but farmland where North Point Mall sits now.

Oh man, I could go on and on.

Last edited by NWarty; 03-06-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 11:44 AM

455 posts, read 598,140 times
To add,
- Brannon Square on Roswell Road was the first real strip mall in Roswell if I remember correctly. Around 1979 it had Gabby's Pizza, Tommy's Hobby Shop, Kroger (remember those small doors for the shopping carts? ) and an Autoparts store on the south end. Across the street was Mr. Pride Car Wash.

- Roswell Shopping Center had a video store, ice cream shop, toy store, Turtle's Records and Fabric store. PoFolks and McDonalds were in the parking lot area.

- Dick Blick was the office supply store across from the Cemetary near the old Roswell High School at the corner of Woodstock and Roswell Rd.

- On Holcomb Bridge, Dunkin Donuts has been there for at least 37 years. Red Lobster has been there for at least 30.

- Regal Nissan has been there for at least 35 years. My parents bought a Mazda and Nissan there.

- Waffle House at the 400 exit cannot be destroyed, it's impossible.

- Kimberly-Clark has been there for ages.

- If you played soccer as a kid, you played at Woodstock Park next to the water tower. Baseball at the Park by Crapabble Middle School.

- There was one stop light past Horseshoe Bend's last entrance/exit at Nesbit Ferry. Nothing but woods all the way to Jimmy Carter Blvd. and the fields before the river. Literally nothing.

- "FutureStore" was a "high tech" grocery store with touchscreen pads on the handle that told you the location of store items. It was first opened in 1986 where the Studio Movie Grill is now.

Just some more stuff to add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta